• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:436] Biden declares himself 'blameless' if US defaults on debt: 'I've done my part'

How am I touting his successes? Also, you are mad because you misquoted me?
This thread is about Biden declaring himself blameless if the US Defaults. Do you believe he is blameless?

The jackass was told not to include funds for the wall (and btw, where is that darn wall? Still waiting for Mexico to pay for it maybe?). They did it knowing that the money wouldn’t be spent. The 2023 budget was passed with bipartisan support and signed by your President. It’s cast in concrete except perhaps for a few cosmetic changes. Deal with it. You will be a lot happier when you return to reality.
I see you have moved from rational arguments to snark and TDS.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 had nothing to do with Trump, just as the 2023 budget had nothing to do with him.

No legislation is ever cast in concrete. It's just not. Repeating it doesn't make it true. Any congress can modify or undo whatever a previous one has passed. That particularly applies to unfunded liabilities like the last congress created in the FY2023 budget.

Bored now. I already won the internet from you so I'll pass on any further discussion and wish you a great day.

This thread is about Biden declaring himself blameless if the US Defaults. Do you believe he is blameless?
He is blameless. His expectations regarding funding the budget for 2023 passed by Congress in December 2022 are spot on. If we default it will be the fault of the MAGATS.

I see you have moved from rational arguments to snark and TDS.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 had nothing to do with Trump, just as the 2023 budget had nothing to do with him.

No legislation is ever cast in concrete. It's just not. Repeating it doesn't make it true. Any congress can modify or undo whatever a previous one has passed.

Bored now. I already won the internet from you so I'll pass on any further discussion and wish you a great day.
Lol
If thinking you somehow won this discussion makes you sleep better then by all means think what you like. However, you did lose.
While Congress can try to modify whatever they like it’s simply not going to happen. The Senate and the President present formidable obstacles to the MAGAT agenda. So….not this year. Better luck during the negotiations for the next fiscal year budget.

He is blameless. His expectations regarding funding the budget for 2023 passed by Congress in December 2022 are spot on. If we default it will be the fault of the MAGATS.
Too partisan, biased and irrational. The 2023 budget was a D budget

Why didn't the D congress raise the debt ceiling

It was a D budget? It passed both House and Senate....get over it. Senate voted for it 68 to 29....seems pretty damn bi partisan to me.

Last edited:

I don’t know why they didn’t raise the debt ceiling. I think that the Congress that passes the budget should also secure funding for it. That makes the most sense EVERY year. Otherwise one congress is handing off the problem to the next one.
The budget was passed with votes from both parties. I don’t remember the exact vote in the Senate but the bill had to have over 60 votes to avoid a filibuster. I think it had 68 or thereabouts.
So we have a budget that was passed with bipartisan support and signed by the president. The budget naturally reflects the priorities of the party that was (and still is) in control. The democrats control the presidency and the Senate. Anyone who believes that they are just going to make major concessions to the MAGAT agenda is a couple of sandwiches short of a full picnic.

Awesome, so when there were 146 million people employed in April 2008 and those people lost their jobs but returned by January 2017 giving us 152 million employed how many new taxpayers were created? You are ignoring jobs lost that returned or in other words taxpayers lost that returned. Trump's was 152 million to almost 159 million in three years. Your chart conveniently, biased and in a partisan manner ignored that
I don’t know how many times you will fight over the same hill. Nobody subtracts people who lost jobs then regained them from total jobs created.

On Trump’s numbers, the chart gives him the benefit of the doubt on his last year, which lost 10 million jobs.

On the thread topic, Biden should just mint the trillion dollar coin and/or issue an executive order on the 14th Amendment before he agrees to let the GQP terrorists cut benefits, to vets, seniors or the needy.

if there were surpluses how could we have so much debt?
Another stupid question.
Debt growth came from what, surpluses?
Debt growth primarily came from deficits early on in the Clinton Presidency.

In 2000, total public debt grew by $18 billion and the S.S. trust fund grew by $153 billion. Is it possible for there to be budgetary surpluses while increasing debt? The answer is yes.

Your chart conveniently, biased and in a partisan manner ignored that
:ROFLMAO:

Your responses are almost comical at this point. What would motivate someone to embrace an alternate reality, where the average monthly job growth in Obama's second term doesn't count because 6.8 million jobs were lost years prior? It's almost as stupid as believing budgetary surpluses didn't exist because we also had simultaneous increases in public debt... almost.

On the thread topic, Biden should just mint the trillion dollar coin and/or issue an executive order on the 14th Amendment before he agrees to let the GQP terrorists cut benefits, to vets, seniors or the needy.
They're not going to mint coins. I could see the 14th Amendment being applied in a last effort to avoid default.

Think what you like. The fact is that the 2023 budget was passed on December 22,2022 with members of both parties voting for it then it was signed by the president. It’s done.
Great.

The next budget to be discussed will be the 2024 budget. I certainly hope that the 2024 budget begins to return this country to where it needs to be-matching revenue with expenses.
Yes. Of course, that's not to say we can't pass legislation sooner.

You can’t borrow and mortgage the future forever.
We are in for some pretty austere times, especially the younger and middle age Americans. I don’t think most people are paying attention to the shit that is going to hit the fan over the next decade or more.
There have certainly been a lot of warnings.

Whatever makes you or anyone else think that the democrats who control both the White House and the Senate are suddenly going to agree to the MAGAT priorities and fiscal platforms this year.That’s just dumb.
No, I don't think they'll agree to that. But I also don't think they want to be known as the "default dems" - so they will make some compromises.

You know it’s not going to happen. And the truth is that even if Biden agreed to more than cosmetic changes the progressive wing of the Democratic Party (which I find very distasteful) would certainly filibuster it in the Senate.
They very well might. But if the only thing standing between a bipartisan deal and the first default in the country's history are some fringe progressives, history won't look too kindly at them.

OH, you mean like the Democrats do as well? :rolleyes:

Partisanship is one thing, but making statements like that is just silly. Whenever the opposition Party holds the Presidency and the out of power Party holds one or even both Houses of Congress, this kind of situation happens pretty frequently.

Most recent examples happened a lot under President Trump when the Democrats held Congress after 2018.
When did the Democrats threaten that the United States will default if they don't get what they want?

Great.

Yes. Of course, that's not to say we can't pass legislation sooner.

There have certainly been a lot of warnings.

No, I don't think they'll agree to that. But I also don't think they want to be known as the "default dems" - so they will make some compromises.

They very well might. But if the only thing standing between a bipartisan deal and the first default in the country's history are some fringe progressives, history won't look too kindly at them.
Look, if you think that the party that controls the Senate and the White House-the party that approves of the existing budget- is going to cave in to the opposition then I have an island to sell you. Sure, the House MAGATS can try to rearrange the budget to their liking. They can try anything they want. But it’s simply not going to happen,

They're not going to mint coins. I could see the 14th Amendment being applied in a last effort to avoid default.
No matter what else happens, there won't be a default on the interest payments on the national debt. That's "only" a few hundred billion a year and we still have way more than enough tax revenues to cover that.

It's possible in the extremely unlikely event that no deal is reached that we might not have enough to cover the unfunded liabilities the Dems foolishly put into the FY2023 budget, but that's not "default" under the 14th amendment.

The Constitution is clear on this: Budget/monetary belongs to Congress.

The paying of the national debt, and it’s ceiling, is a Congressional matter, NOT POTUS.

So Biden never truly had much to say on the matter. It’s the business of the House at the moment. A Republican run House. If it fails the fault of it, and everything that is a result of it, belongs to them.
The House took care of its business; it passed a bill and the Republican Senate has said it will follow McCarthy's position.
That has to be negotiated with Biden, because Biden has to sign it, Ball is in Biden's court

Treating the budget law with contempt leads to rule by omnibus spending bills. Biden ran on a return to normalcy, being the adult in the room. Yet, the same politician that proclaimed "show me your budget and I'll show you your priorities" could be bothered to follow the regular order.
The return to normalcy for democrats is social spending. The abnormalcy he was referring to had more to do with trump's antics and vulgar behavior.

I know it happens frequently but is it every year that one Congress passes a budget and leaves it for the next congress to fund it? If so that’s very screwed up. Perhaps it has something to do with a requirement to allocate funds in the same calendar year in they can be spent-just guessing.
The option is a CR (continuing resolution) if the House is going to change partys, the theory is a new majority gets to set it's own budget priorities
McConnell is the stupid ass that passed an Omnibus with support from the Dems instead of a CR,
because of his precious want of locking in Ukraine spending. And the fact the Republican Senate are mostly weasels

The option is a CR (continuing resolution) if the House is going to change partys, the theory is a new majority gets to set it's own budget priorities
McConnell is the stupid ass that passed an Omnibus with support from the Dems instead of a CR,
because of his precious want of locking in Ukraine spending. And the fact the Republican Senate are mostly weasels
But the House didn’t pass a CR. They passed (and the Senate passed) a BUDGET.

The House took care of its business; it passed a bill and the Republican Senate has said it will follow McCarthy's position.
That has to be negotiated with Biden, because Biden has to sign it, Ball is in Biden's court

Ok, but the fallback position it’s while that’s legitimate under the rules it’s NOT negotiating in good faith.

Not when Dems pass debt ceilings without issue when Pubs are in the White House and Pubs only hold it hostage when Dems are in the White House.

It’s a lousy tactic, readily seen for what it is. That buys the bully boys and gals, using the bully tactics, the blame.

Sorry, but it’s fair. The instigators win the rebuke and the blame.

Another stupid question.
LOL, right, we all know that surpluses now must cause deficits since you believe the Clinton budgets created the debt that you posted
Debt growth primarily came from deficits early on in the Clinton Presidency.
LOL, with those tax increases?
In 2000, total public debt grew by $18 billion and the S.S. trust fund grew by $153 billion. Is it possible for there to be budgetary surpluses while increasing debt? The answer is yes.
Answer is no, yearly deficits are added to the debt creating the total. I suggest you learn about the budget of the US and the difference between discretionary and mandatory

And oh by the way, Biden is responsible if we default as it is his spending that brought us to this point

:ROFLMAO:

Your responses are almost comical at this point. What would motivate someone to embrace an alternate reality, where the average monthly job growth in Obama's second term doesn't count because 6.8 million jobs were lost years prior? It's almost as stupid as believing budgetary surpluses didn't exist because we also had simultaneous increases in public debt... almost.
Because as the left and people here Obama is responsible for his entire term and of course you ignore that his second term ended with a GOP Congress. Do you know what Congress does? A job lost is a lost taxpayer showing up in the employment data which set the target for Obama at 146 million, April 2008, He hit 152 million in January 2017, Trump almost 159 million in February 2020 pre pandemic, prove me wrong

Back
Top Bottom