• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:435]*******Native American Vietnam Veteran Speaks Out After MAGA Hat-Wearing Teens Harass Him

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Native American Vietnam Veteran Speaks Out After MAGA Hat-Wearing Teens Harass Him

0.jpg

1/19/19
A group of teens wearing “Make America Great Again” hats harassed a Native American Vietnam War veteran during Friday’s first Indigenous Peoples March. Now the Native American elder is speaking out about the ordeal. Video posted online captures the unsettling incident in Washington, D.C., after a group of teens surrounds Nathan Phillips, mocking and harassing him as he sang the American Indian Movement song on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Phillips served in the Vietnam War and is the former director of the Native Youth Alliance, according to Indian Country Today. One teen, in particular, is seen blocking Philips, smugly staring at the elder as he performs his song. Teens in the background appear to encourage the harassment. Users on social media identified the teens as likely being students from Covington Catholic school in Kentucky because of the insignia on some of their clothing.

Phillips’ response that appears to have been recorded Friday was posted Saturday to Twitter.....

• “I heard them saying ‘build that wall, build that wall,’” Phillips said while wiping away tears. “This is indigenous land, you’re not supposed to have walls here. We never did for a millennia. We never had a prison; we always took care of our elders, took care of our children, always provided for them, taught them right from wrong. I wish I could see that energy ... put that energy to making this country really, really great.”
Congresswoman Deb Haaland (D-N.M.) ― one of the first Native American women to be elected to Congress ― said the students displayed “blatant hate” against Phillips. Phillips’ response that appears to have been recorded Friday was posted Saturday to Twitter. “This Veteran put his life on the line for our country,” Haaland said on Twitter. “The students’ display of blatant hate, disrespect, and intolerance is a signal of how common decency has decayed under this administration. Heartbreaking.”

Little Trumpers hating on a brown-skinned US military veteran. Disgusting.

Re: Native American Vietnam Veteran Speaks Out After MAGA Hat-Wearing Teens Harass Him

This is the future of the Republican Party: A bunch of racist puds who feel entitled to gang up on anyone with a bit of pigment on their skin. I have no doubt this thread will devolve to blame the Native Americans for having the audicity to gather peacefully and have people defending these teenagers and their attempt to degrade and beat down a group of people who've been historically curb stompped by white America.

Re: Native American Vietnam Veteran Speaks Out After MAGA Hat-Wearing Teens Harass Him

That kid is in serious need of an ass whopping.

Lookaway everyone, there's no racism here, none at all.

Remember, if you postulate that Trump or conservative culture bears any responsibility for this, you're political correct, a snowflake, a SJW, and worse than the offenders in questions.

Nothing to see here. :2wave:

He needs that MAGA hat shoved up his ass.

Yep, this is what White Nationalism looks like, and what having a Nationalist in the White House does.

It breaks my heart to see these are Catholic School kids. One has a Notre Dame hat, too. I assure you their asses are grass, if this video gets back to their school.

Trump probably had the little princes over for cheeseburgers later.

Typical Trump supporters.

Yep, this is what White Nationalism looks like, and what having a Nationalist in the White House does.

It breaks my heart to see these are Catholic School kids. One has a Notre Dame hat, too. I assure you their asses are grass, if this video gets back to their school.

Apparently it already has gotten back to the school. The teens were participants from a nearby March for Life Rally.

School officials and the diocese of Covington released a joint statement Saturday.

“We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic High School students towards Nathan Phillips specifically, and Native Americans in general,” the statement said.

“The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...b9dec761e73_story.html?utm_term=.695066c1a61e

Catholic school kids. Ah religion, what a wonderful thing if you like something that creates hatred wherever it goes. These kids are the republican party I despise. They learn this from listening to their parents. They sum up EVERYTHING that is wrong within the GOP.

I suspect there won't be many conservatives defending this video.

Native American Vietnam Veteran Speaks Out After MAGA Hat-Wearing Teens Harass Him

0.jpg

Little Trumpers hating on a brown-skinned US military veteran. Disgusting.

I must be missing something...I just finished watching the entire video at the link.

I saw kids mimicking the song, I saw one kid standing silently with a smile on his face in front of the lead drummer. Some kids asking "what, what, what" and some asking what's going on. Toward the end some yelled out "war-cry's."

So what's the harassment? They were simply and peacefully, if a little exuberantly (they are young boys after all) exercising their 1st Amendment rights. At no time did they physically interfere in or try to stop the Native protest.

I've seen Leftist mobs do worse, a LOT worse. But as long as they did not act violently or in any way try to prevent others from protesting peacefully, I had not problem with their "free speech."

So why should there be one with this incident? :confused:

I must be missing something...I just finished watching the entire video at the link.

I saw kids mimicking the song, I saw one kid standing silently with a smile on his face in front of the lead drummer. Some kids asking "what, what, what" and some asking what's going on. Toward the end some yelled out "war-cry's."

So what's the harassment? They were simply and peacefully, if a little exuberantly (they are young boys after all) exercising their 1st Amendment rights. At no time did they physically interfere in or try to stop the Native protest.

I've seen Leftist mobs do worse, a LOT worse. But as long as they did not act violently or in any way try to prevent others from protesting peacefully, I had not problem with their "free speech."

In my days it was called respect.

In my days it was called respect.

Liberals whining about respect? That's hilarious!

Catholic school kids, big surprise.
There for an anti-women's right to choose march....equally surprising. WWJD?
Many wearing MAGA hats, icing on the cake.

Only thing more disgusting is all the supposed adults who support this kind of nonsense.

You all would beat up a kid for looking at you the wrong way?

So what's the harassment?

Of course, you don't see the harassment. You've been drinking that dumb-fuck juice for years now. Only a weapon's grade retard like yourself can use almost a 150 words instead of just saying "I don't like Leftists, and hate speech against brown people is okay by me."

I watched the video this morning. Not sure why there is so much outrage over it, the kid isn't doing anything that appears to be "racist", he's just acting like a punk. Maybe if he wasn't wearing a MAGA hat?

Catholic school kids, big surprise.
There for an anti-women's right to choose march....equally surprising. WWJD?
Many wearing MAGA hats, icing on the cake.

Only thing more disgusting is all the supposed adults who support this kind of nonsense.

Here's comes the religious bigotry.

It was very disrespectful but I'm not okay with any reaction that would include violence. Much better to be the bigger man and just walk away.

At the end of the day, it reflects on the kid who was being disrespectful. In this day and age, it's almost impossible to do anything publicly like that without someone recording it and that never goes away and it will stay with you for years. He's going to learn soon enough that actions do have consequences. I doubt his little episode there is going to look very good on his college applications or employment applications down the track.

Once he realises that, I imagine that smirk will be removed from his face rather quickly.

This is the future of the Republican Party: A bunch of racist puds who feel entitled to gang up on anyone with a bit of pigment on their skin. I have no doubt this thread will devolve to blame the Native Americans for having the audicity to gather peacefully and have people defending these teenagers and their attempt to degrade and beat down a group of people who've been historically curb stompped by white America.

That future has been here since 2009

It was very disrespectful but I'm not okay with any reaction that would include violence. Much better to be the bigger man and just walk away.

At the end of the day, it reflects on the kid who was being disrespectful. In this day and age, it's almost impossible to do anything publicly like that without someone recording it and that never goes away and it will stay with you for years. He's going to learn soon enough that actions do have consequences. I doubt his little episode there is going to look very good on his college applications or employment applications down the track.

Once he realises that, I imagine that smirk will be removed from his face rather quickly.

I agree, actions do have consequences...but remember what his action was.

Simply standing, silently, with a smile on his face.

Why should this simple, non-violent, non-verbal action be considered so "heinous" that he should be punished in ways you describe?

Seems a bit biased, when so many other's on the opposite side of the political spectrum have done worse...often while hiding behind masks. :coffeepap:

You all would beat up a kid for looking at you the wrong way?

It's sad to see you don't respect our veterans.

It's sad to see you don't respect our veterans.

But, not at all surprising

So much for free speech.

Apparently it already has gotten back to the school. The teens were participants from a nearby March for Life Rally.
Great to hear!

I'm a product of the Catholic School system. I love the Catholic Schools. I mean really & truly. I can't tell you all they mean to me, and what I've seen them do. They've done so much good. So things like this do break my heart.

My time in the Catholic School system was admittedly a long time ago. Back then in my city, they were all-boy prep schools, but often had an immigrant flavor depending on the school and the neighborhood they served. Some of us were poor, some were not, some were immigrants, some were not, and we almost all were city kids. But damn, we all got a great education and - especially - were infused with (IMO) great values.

However now many years later, most of the Catholic Prep schools now seem to be in the suburbs, and are comprised of a more affluent and highly Caucasian & "landed" demographic. They and their students now more resemble the stereotypical East Coast "elite" type prep boarding schools, that much of society seems to despise. Of course stereotypes don't always ring true, but I have seen it creeping into the Catholic prep schools over the years.

At the least, the suburban kids in their prep schools are having a far different experience than I had in the more ethnic based prep schools back in the city. And it shows in videos like that above. We Catholics are no longer the newly arrived minority guys, on the lower rungs of the totem poll. We've got to remember where we and our families came from, and keep a vigilant watch on this stuff.

You don't think the front-most kid is staring the guy down, trying to intimidate him?

Back
Top Bottom