• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:425] Why Do the Woke Seek to Shut Down Talk About Ideas They Dislike?

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It seems that more Americans oppose the right of people to speak about ideas others find offensive. It seems to me if we banned talk of anything that offends someone else, there would be no more free speech. Why do the "woke" on college campuses need "safe places" to hide out in when someone comes to speak about ideas they are offended by? Or even more troubling, why do the "woke" folks often feel compelled to use violence, threats of violence, and other means to stop someone from expressing ideas they find offensive.

There is a lot of talk today about being "woke", but it seems people who are not "woke" have little understanding about what it means to be "woke." As far as I can tell being "woke" seems similar in some ways to a Scientologist declaring he/she is "clear". Perhaps someone here is both "woke" and "clear" and can explain to us what being "clear" and being "woke" are all about?

As far as I can tell neither being "woke" or clear" necessarily leads to thinking clearly or rationally or being better able to understand what is and is not most likely to be true. Can those who are "woke" explain to others what that term means to them? Or perhaps explain how they became "woke"?

It seems that more Americans oppose the right of people to speak about ideas others find offensive. It seems to me if we banned talk of anything that offends someone else, there would be no more free speech. Why do the "woke" on college campuses need "safe places" to hide out in when someone comes to speak about ideas they are offended by? Or even more troubling, why do the "woke" folks often feel compelled to use violence, threats of violence, and other means to stop someone from expressing ideas they find offensive.

There is a lot of talk today about being "woke", but it seems people who are not "woke" have little understanding about what it means to be "woke." As far as I can tell being "woke" seems similar in some ways to a Scientologist declaring he/she is "clear". Perhaps someone here is both "woke" and "clear" and can explain to us what being "clear" and being "woke" are all about?

As far as I can tell neither being "woke" or clear" necessarily leads to thinking clearly or rationally or being better able to understand what is and is not most likely to be true. Can those who are "woke" explain to others what that term means to them? Or perhaps explain how they became "woke"?
Control.

They want to assert their control on people. They want people to conform to their Pajama Boy pansy ideals.

Why do our "woke" Republican state legislatures ban all school discussions of Critical Race Theory?

Is that like how the republicans in congress are doing everything in their power to make 1-6 disappear because they find the subject offensive?

The thing is that the word "woke" really only denotes the left in terms of things that folks find offensive. This is not a new concept...this has been around since the beginning of this nation, it just flips from generation to generation as to what the offense.

It really wasn't that long ago when the right was burning books and records and boycotting movies because of what they found offensive. In fact, they have their own version of being woke now...Trump really won the election, the so-called war on Christmas, vaccinations and mask wearing (remember the Freedom to Breathe Agency?)...things that if you disagree with you could find yourself on the outside of things. Heck, I followed Parler's TOS to the letter and I got kicked out simply because I disagreed with the idea that Trump won the election...

The right is every bit as woke as the left is....

Fails to make a good argument because it's bullshit.
Cries that his bullshit argument is dismissed, claiming it's because it's about "control" instead of having been a bullshit argument.
BuT WhO DeterMineS whaTs BullSHit!???

Big boys and girls applying reason
--------------
Conservatism is bankrupt right now. The question is will anyone salvage what's left of it and work a little redemption into it. I don't see it any time soon, but one can hope.

"Wokers" feel that they are "awake."

Everyone else is still asleep.

So "wokers" feel superior to everyone else.

"Wokers" are "liberals" on steroids.

Control.

They want to assert their control on people. They want people to conform to their Pajama Boy pansy ideals.

Pajama Boy pansy ideals? WTF are you going on about?

Pajama Boy pansy ideals? WTF are you going on about?
The poster is simply showcasing their intolerance of any opinions that don't match their own.

I mean, duh; if you don't agree with Roadvirus then you must he a Pajama Boy pansy.

At least that is how I read it.

The poster is simply showcasing their intolerance of any opinions that don't match their own.

I mean, duh; if you don't agree with Roadvirus then you must he a Pajama Boy pansy.

OH gee, attack Roadvirus for making a comment about Pajama Boy. Are you simply showcasing your intolerance of any opinion?

Calling people pajama boy pansies is not an opinion. It is an ad hominem attack.
OH gee, what do you call all the posters who call Trump supporters so many names?

I think you need to differentiate between the right to speech and the right to private sector amplification of your speech. They are not the same thing. Do not confuse the two.

As far as I am aware, no one's right to speech has been taken away.

Private corporations have, as is their right, withdrawn their instruments of amplification in keeping with free market principles, the bedrock of our nation's economic system.

That is your take and I tend to agree but it is a very superficial description of being or feeling "woke".but I am curious about how someone who considers himself/herself "woke" actually would describe their "wokism".
Again I am inclined to agree, but my interest here is to better understand how the ""woke" actually see themselves and what they believe are their guiding principles and values. Most people on the left and right feel their views are are superior to those who oppose them. My goal is dig down past the passion and feelings of superiority on both sides that lead to these feeling of superiority and intolerance for those who do not share their ideas, their principles, and their goals.
I do not see the "woke" as being particularly liberal. Liberals are generally big fans of free speech. American Civil Liberties certainly opposed the KKK and racism but they defended the free speech rights of NAZIs and the KKK and even their right to march in protests. I do not see the "woke" folks as all that interested in the free speech rights of people whose ideas they find offensive.

I can't speak to 'woke'.

But, I will say I'm shocked we went from The Berkley Free-Speech Movement in '65, to 'safe spaces' today!

How the hell did this happen? We threw-away all the work & effort that started at Berkley, and propagated through college campuses across America in the 60's. Do these safe-spacers no how many sat-in, and ended-up brutalized by cops & thrown in the slammer? All, in the name of freedom?

Mario Savio is turning in his grave . . .

Woke: Just want to point out that I have never seen a word so overused and hi jacked and weaponized by the right. I used to actually like the term as challenging others to the injustices in the world but now if I never heard it again would be quite OK

This thread has already aged like milk in the hot sun considering the anti-'CRT' legislation Republicans are trying to pass.
It's always interesting to find self-defeating inconsistencies in their positions. I wish they experienced shame though when confronted with their conflict positions, with their fallacy/contradiction...

I think you need to differentiate between the right to speech and the right to private sector amplification of your speech. They are not the same thing. Do not confuse the two.
As far as I am aware, no one's right to speech has been taken away.
Private corporations have, as is their right, withdrawn their instruments of amplification in keeping with free market principles, the bedrock of our nation's economic system.
Yes, there is a difference between the government and a private party or company banning or shutting down free speech. But that is another discussion. Here I would like to focus how the progressive left "woke" see themselves.

Today's progressive left seem far more interested in silencing or censoring ideas they do not like than those on the political right. On state colleges and universities like UC Berkeley as "Chomsky" pointed out the liberal left was demanding more free speech rights. Now the progressive left seems more interested in shutting down the right for conservatives to speak on college campuses. It is the "woke" folks who often make up the Antifa and BLM protestors who seem to feel the need to shut down free speech they find offensive. That is very different than what the left leaning anti-war students of the 1960s were protesting in favor of more free speech.

Redpillers are Trumpers on steroids.

Have a free MAGA, and take the red pill, not the vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom