• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:390]Ok here is evidence for my theory of brain and mind

Re: Ok here is evidence for my theory of brain and mind

WHAT?? This author is specifically criticizing physicalism. That is so obvious, how could you get it backwards?

I didn't read the article. I was referring to your use of "materialism."

I didn't read the article. I was referring to your use of "materialism."

Ok that's fine. So they call it physicalism now. Same difference.

Ok that's fine. So they call it physicalism now. Same difference.

Up is down..they're both directions.

Up is down..they're both directions.

No. Physicalism and materialism, and naturalism, all mean pretty much the same things. But the meaning for all of them is vague.

No. Physicalism and materialism, and naturalism, all mean pretty much the same things. But the meaning for all of them is vague.

Wrong.

...the brain allows the mind to interact with the world that is perceived by the physical senses. It allows us to process time, to interpret physical sensations, and to communicate....

Er...yes

The mind is created by the brain

The brain receives information

Brain activity is stimulated by the senses

The mind (consciousness) derides upon the response to the emotions provoked by the brain.

You put you hand on a hot plate
The nerve endings in your hand send a signal to your brain
The brain screams the emotion PAIN
The mind (consciousness) says "Move The Hand!"

Er...yes

The mind is created by the brain

The brain receives information

Brain activity is stimulated by the senses

The mind (consciousness) derides upon the response to the emotions provoked by the brain.

You put you hand on a hot plate
The nerve endings in your hand send a signal to your brain
The brain screams the emotion PAIN
The mind (consciousness) says "Move The Hand!"

Or you could wait for help from the conscious universe.

Not my theory actually, but the one that makes the most sense to me.

There are a small number of atheists at this forum who hijack any thread I start on the subject of spirituality and science. They are a specific kind of atheist -- the kind that believes mind is created by matter.

Most atheists are actually open to spiritual ideas, but these materialist atheists are not. And their arguments are almost always -- "You are wrong because I don't believe in what you are saying." That is not a logical argument.

The materialist atheists here also demand evidence, without having to provide scientific evidence or logic themselves.

So here you are. This Scientific American blog article gives some pretty good reasons for thinking the brain is not the kind of organ you think it is. As neuroscience and imaging technology advance, the evidence is increasing that the brain is NOT a generator of consciousness and cognition.

According to what I know, and what makes sense to me, the brain allows the mind to interact with the world that is perceived by the physical senses. It allows us to process time, to interpret physical sensations, and to communicate.

Read this carefully and try to be unbiased. Even though it is from one of those wacko new age websites.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/transcending-the-brain/

WHAT?? This author is specifically criticizing physicalism. That is so obvious, how could you get it backwards?

It's not from a "wacko new age website". At the end of the article you'll find: "This essay is based on the paper “Self-Transcendence Correlates with Brain Function Impairment,” published in the Journal of Cognition and Neuroethics, volume 4, number 3, pp. 33-42."

He is discussing the perception of 'self-transcendence' that can happen with brain injuries and not just meditation/prayer/drugs. Not 'actual' transcendence. It's still all happening within the brain. He is not discussing any kind of actual separation of 'consciousness' from the physical brain. These sort of feelings of expansiveness, being 'one with the universe', floating etc are all perceptions generated within our brains. The author is NOT "specifically criticizing physicalism" as you claim.

Your statement "As neuroscience and imaging technology advance, the evidence is increasing that the brain is NOT a generator of consciousness and cognition." is false and shows you haven't done much research into this. It's the opposite. I understand that you want to find scientific evidence to support your views, but telling an outright lie is not the way to go about it.

NB: I ignored all your misrepresentations and snide comments about atheists- not a great way to open a thread if you want genuine discussion.

Last edited:

It's not from a "wacko new age website". At the end of the article you'll find: "This essay is based on the paper “Self-Transcendence Correlates with Brain Function Impairment,” published in the Journal of Cognition and Neuroethics, volume 4, number 3, pp. 33-42."

He is discussing the perception of 'self-transcendence' that can happen with brain injuries and not just meditation/prayer/drugs. Not 'actual' transcendence. It's still all happening within the brain. He is not discussing any kind of actual separation of 'consciousness' from the physical brain. These sort of feelings of expansiveness, being 'one with the universe', floating etc are all perceptions generated within our brains. The author is NOT
"specifically criticizing physicalism" as you claim.

Your statement "As neuroscience and imaging technology advance, the evidence is increasing that the brain is NOT a generator of consciousness and cognition." is false and shows you haven't done much research into this. It's the opposite. I understand that you want to find scientific evidence to support your views, but telling an outright lie is not the way to go about it.

The article made no mention of the "conscious universe."

NB: I ignored all your misrepresentations and snide comments about atheists- not a great way to open a thread if you want genuine discussion.

Insulting people is not a good way to open up a discussion.

The article made no mention of the "conscious universe."

I know. If anything, the article contradicted her views.

Not my theory actually, but the one that makes the most sense to me.

There are a small number of atheists at this forum who hijack any thread I start on the subject of spirituality and science. They are a specific kind of atheist -- the kind that believes mind is created by matter.

Most atheists are actually open to spiritual ideas, but these materialist atheists are not. And their arguments are almost always -- "You are wrong because I don't believe in what you are saying." That is not a logical argument.

The materialist atheists here also demand evidence, without having to provide scientific evidence or logic themselves.

So here you are. This Scientific American blog article gives some pretty good reasons for thinking the brain is not the kind of organ you think it is. As neuroscience and imaging technology advance, the evidence is increasing that the brain is NOT a generator of consciousness and cognition.

According to what I know, and what makes sense to me, the brain allows the mind to interact with the world that is perceived by the physical senses. It allows us to process time, to interpret physical sensations, and to communicate.

Read this carefully and try to be unbiased. Even though it is from one of those wacko new age websites.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/transcending-the-brain/

hmm less brain matter makes you smarter? guess you could go ask a dog or a cat

they cant speak but they could parlby learn to scratch out letters

If you read the article, you completely misunderstood it. Good job. Please don't comment again until you read and understand the article.

That's ironic. I was about to say precisely the same thing to you. The article you referenced does not say what you and your peanut gallery think it does

He is discussing the perception of 'self-transcendence' that can happen with brain injuries and not just meditation/prayer/drugs. Not 'actual' transcendence. It's still all happening within the brain. He is not discussing any kind of actual separation of 'consciousness' from the physical brain. These sort of feelings of expansiveness, being 'one with the universe', floating etc are all perceptions generated within our brains. The author is NOT "specifically criticizing physicalism" as you claim.

You completely misread the article. I guess I have to paste specific quotes, since you aren't able to figure out what the article actually says on your own.

hmm less brain matter makes you smarter? guess you could go ask a dog or a cat

they cant speak but they could parlby learn to scratch out letters

The evidence says that sometimes it does. And we know that sometimes autistic or retarded people are geniuses in specific areas.

You completely misread the article. I guess I have to paste specific quotes, since you aren't able to figure out what the article actually says on your own.

In real life do you insult everyone who disagrees with you? You must be very lonely. Drop the insults, they make you look foolish.

The evidence says that sometimes it does. And we know that sometimes autistic or retarded people are geniuses in specific areas.

You think that autistic and retarded people have less brain matter?

Go ahead and 'paste specific quotes'.

Go ahead and 'paste specific quotes'.

Coupled with a childish insult.

Last edited:

We could do with a laugh.

No doubt they will come interspersed with more snide childish insults and claims that only she can understand the article correctly and everyone else who doesn't see it the way she does, is stupid.

Perhaps she has overactive amygdalae and underdeveloped neural integration between her limbic system and prefrontal cortex? ;)

then the animals should serve as great sages

No doubt they will come interspersed with more snide childish insults and claims that only she can understand the article correctly and everyone else who doesn't see it the way she does, is stupid.

Perhaps she has overactive amygdalae and underdeveloped neural integration between her limbic system and prefrontal cortex? ;)

Coupled with universal conscious quantum baseless superciliousness entanglement.

Back
Top Bottom