• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#389: 420, 790]Texas elementary school reports 'active shooter' on campus

We have guns in our house as well, I'd GLADLY give them up to save 20 kids.
We need to seriously hold those who ignore red flag laws. We also need to hold schools accountable for not having good security. How many times do these nut bars keep getting in the schools? America first!
I think we could a lot with that 53 billion we gave Ukraine.

Who cares if it saves kids lives?

Would you give up your guns to save 18 kids' lives? I would.
Would you giving up your guns actually save lives?

I have guns in my house, I'd gladly give them up to save 20 kid's lives. How about you?
I can’t answer for him but I can for myself. No, I won’t give them up. Someone else’s actions have no bearing on me or my rights.

Problem solved if you like their laws so much move there. See ya.
Oh the great “America, Love it or Leave It,” reply, exhibit A in the display of our storied anti-intellectualism. In the category of taking your ball and going home or holding your breath to spite someone who scores in an argument. But of course, obviously, without question we have nothing to learn from countries who gave us our language, culture and politics.

Haven’t got that one in a while.

Guns.

Again.

Once again, our laws and their level of enforcement were unable to prevent this tragedy. Using data from 2020, we experience, on average, one death by gunshot every 12 minutes in the United States of America. 45,000 deaths by gunshot in 2020.

Guns.

Again.

Regards. Stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

You simply don't understand. The laws that will ban guns in the hands of civilians will make half of America feel better about themselves and those people will go to sleep knowing that they "did something" to save the nation. THAT is what's important. Then, when it doesn't work they can blame Republicans for not enforcing the law or whatever and THEN they will feel better about themselves and THAT will be what's important. Bans have been completely effective when it comes to drugs, purchasing alcohol by those under 21, speeding, seatbelts, and any number of other things. Why would it be unsuccessful with guns?
Another stupid platitude. Bans don't 100% work, so, oh well, guess we shouldn't do anything.

Assinine.

And if we banned the importation of all ammunition and taxed each ROUND $10 it would slow the growth dramatically...
no it wouldn’t. And you can’t tax each round $10.
The key is the ammo, not the firearms...
Neither can be banned or restricted. The 2nd amendment precludes you from doing so.

What will this country need to do to prevent all mass shootings at schools?

IMO Sandy Hook should have had people falling over each other to try and address the situation, but I'm afraid at this point nothing will prevent further shootings. They'll keep popping up in places we use to feel safe in. Schools, grocery stores and churches. It's the times we live in now.

With each new mass murder, and each ineffective and limp response from the right to them I am more inclined to agree with a ban on nearly all private ownership.

And I own a Glock and a Mossberg. This madness (and the impotent response to it) is pushing me to that opinion.
There is something inherently flawed with laws that allow an 18 year old to legally purchase an AR-15 and/or serve in our U.S. military, but an 18 year old can not legally purchase a beer. And I also, own several firearms.

I can’t answer for him but I can for myself. No, I won’t give them up. Someone else’s actions have no bearing on me or my rights.
So, you wouldn't give up your guns to save 20 kids' lives?

When people show you are, believe them.

Maybe it's time for something more proactive than "Sorry that's tragic I'll pray for you."

Here's an idea. How about we declare all public schools to be "gun free zones", thereby making it impossible for a crazy person to bring a gun into a school?

There are over 400 million in circulation. If you banned them all tomorrow, it would not reduce them by a single firearm. Nor would it stop the manufacture, importation or purchase of a single firearm.
We could theoretically stop the importation and domestic manufacturing of firearms. But it would take decades for firearm ownership to be at the levels we see in countries like the UK or even Sweden. We have more guns than citizens and who knows how many unregistered ones.

There are over 400 million in circulation. If you banned them all tomorrow, it would not reduce them by a single firearm. Nor would it stop the manufacture, importation or purchase of a single firearm.
Do you have agency?

We're going to "accept guns" whether you like it or not, and if you persist in advocating such idiocy, we're going to work to have you thrown in prison for your dangerous and antithetical views. How's that for an answer?
About the most ignorant ****ing answer I could have imagined.

Your name wouldn't be Gregg Abbott would it?
It doesn't matter. Outlawing abortion is about criminalizing the taking of lives. Using guns to take lives is already illegal.
Not always.

But obviously it is acceptable.

Would you giving up your guns actually save lives?
If everyone gave up their guns, gun deaths would reduce. But, you'll never, not even to save 20 kids, so it's moot, isn't it?

We literally just saw a grocery store with an armed security guard be the site of a mass shooting. What is the answer then? Guards with AR-15s and full body armor roaming every public space?
Sadly that guard was a police retiree
They generally aren’t as sharp and as fast as younger folks
Someone younger would have seen the body armor and gone for the head shot
I’m sure that guy did the best that he could

Any freedom that demands a constant blood sacrifice of innocents, especially children, isn't worth it.
You referring to abortion?

You can’t ban them. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this. See DC v Heller.
Large cap magazine ban
You could ban them tomorrow and it would not reduce the tens of millions already in circulation by a single magazine, nor stop the manufacture importation or purchase of one.
Saturday Night Specials
This is a made up term.
Spin again and research first
I’m spinning you around in circles with facts. You don’t o ow anything about firearms.

Unfortunately, we have so many firearms floating around in our country that the only recourse we have is to turn our schools into fortresses.
Unfortunately, once all of the schools are "hardened" against shooters it won't stop, they will just shift to softer targets, like movie theaters, shopping malls,
grocery stores and anyplace people congregate in numbers.

If we are gonna use this tragedy to pass draconian laws lets actually address the source of the problem. Fatherless children. All these shooters have that in common. Let's pass a law that bans women from having children out of wedlock and banning divorces for couples with children.
Zzzzzzzzz

So, you wouldn't give up your guns to save 20 kids' lives?

When people show you are, believe them.
It's a fantasy to think that you or I giving up our guns will save peoples' lives.

I just can't imagine waking up every day thinking that a fertilized egg is worth more than a fully developed child/adult with hopes, fears, and dreams.

But here we are.

Maybe if the media starts referring to mass school shootings as late term abortions we will see more folks on the right at least pretend to care enough to do something about it.

Back
Top Bottom