• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#389: 420, 790]Texas elementary school reports 'active shooter' on campus

No no no.

We promise to amend the 1st Amendment so that advocating gun control is no longer legal or protected speech. Just start slapping felony charges on anyone who promotes gun control at the expense of our society, and watch the "controversy" quickly disappear. :D

Any freedom that demands a constant blood sacrifice of innocents, especially children, isn't worth it.

Like I said, IDGAF.
How would you expect a complete ban on civilian ownership of guns to be passed?

Criminals already face a ten year term for possession - will your one year term scare them into turning in their guns?

If you don't think terrorist are taking advantage of Biden's border and if you don't think they are watching gleefully the pain something like this causes America you are very wrong.
🤡

The things Tucker plants in the heads of the cult are amazing.

With each new mass murder, and each ineffective and limp response from the right to them I am more inclined to agree with a ban on nearly all private ownership.

And I own a Glock and a Mossberg. This madness (and the impotent response to it) is pushing me to that opinion.
We have guns in our house as well, I'd GLADLY give them up to save 20 kids.

People have agency, unless you believe there is an omnipotent force making people manufacture and buy guns.
There are over 400 million in circulation. If you banned them all tomorrow, it would not reduce them by a single firearm. Nor would it stop the manufacture, importation or purchase of a single firearm.

People have agency, unless you believe there is an omnipotent force making people manufacture and buy guns.
Nobody's going to stop manufacturing and buying guns, certainly not a poor person like yourself. Guns are a billion dollar industry, and today anyone in the world can buy guns via e-commerce websites.

You'd have better luck just banning the internet, and it doesn't matter either way, because we're simply not going to let you and work to have the uneducated rabble who promote gun control imprisoned so that their stupidity can't taint the rest of our society and intellectual discussions of the topic.

How would you expect a complete ban on civilian ownership of guns to be passed?

Criminals already face a ten year term for possession - will your one year term scare them into turning in their guns?
I have guns in my house, I'd gladly give them up to save 20 kid's lives. How about you?

There are over 400 million in circulation. If you banned them all tomorrow, it would not reduce them by a single firearm. Nor would it stop the manufacture, importation or purchase of a single firearm.

And if we banned the importation of all ammunition and taxed each ROUND $10 it would slow the growth dramatically... The key is the ammo, not the firearms...

What do you suggest?
What you not going to suggest tissues like all the other times?

giphy.gif

I've never said this before but I've had enough.

This country needs a 100% ban on all guns for civilians. Everyone turns their shit in the ATF/FBI/Whoever by a certain date and after that anyone caught with a gun gets an automatic one-year jail sentence

After we go 5 years without a mass shooting maybe we can consider gun sales again.
Once you take away a right, it's not easy to get it back.
18 innocent dead kids in one fell swoop. IDGAF about the beloved 2A
Maybe if they made it possible to arm more teachers/staff in schools less of this will happen. Put signs on all entrances stating the staff are armed and ready to use their weapons.

Eventually we are going to have a different generation in power, including the Supreme Court. And if we can strip rights from women that have existed for half a century there is no reason why we can't reinterpret the Second Amendment as well.

Who cares if it saves kids lives?
Maybe if they made it possible to arm more teachers/staff in schools less of this will happen. Put signs on all entrances stating the staff are armed and ready to use their weapons.
Would you give up your guns to save 18 kids' lives? I would.

I disagree, Fletch. At the very least: Fortify our schools. Do away with open campuses. Pass infrastructure legislation giving states the money to build new multi-story fortress schools out of solid concrete, with bulletproof glass and doors; make it so that playgrounds are within the interior courtyard. Make it so that any entrant must pass through security metal detectors and be subject to weapons checks. We do it for courthouses. We can and should do it for schools. And if nothing else, it does not affect gun ownership rights one iota.
That seems ridiculously expensive. Don’t get me wrong, we are the USA. We could just build like one less aircraft carrier or something. But with the amount of funding schools get this proposal would probably mean spending more on school protection than most countries do on their military. I feel this is an issue where addressing the upstream causes is much cheaper than trying to address the downstream effects.

We literally just saw a grocery store with an armed security guard be the site of a mass shooting. What is the answer then? Guards with AR-15s and full body armor roaming every public space?

We’re not.
The problem is not resolvable. We put the right to bare arms in our constitution and today we have more guns than citizens. At this point, restricting or outlawing guns will only have negative consequences on law abiding citizens, because it won't prevent criminals from possessing them. The only thing right now preventing criminals from robbing people at will, is them not knowing if the people they are targeting are armed or not. If this country had outlawed guns from it's founding it would be different, but since we didn't, trying to prevent ordinary people from buying them now, or trying to get rid of them all together, just isn't a viable option.

No they can’t.

No it hasn’t. If you break the law, my rights can’t be taken away. The constitution doesn’t permit you to.
AWB
Large cap magazine ban
Saturday Night Specials
Spin again and research first

Agreed. America is a gun culture, moreso than it is a car culture or even a Christian culture. They are embedded in our collective psyche and identity. And they are a billions of dollars a year industry promoted and protected by one of the most powerful lobbyist organizations in the nation.

They aren't going anywhere. And neither is mass murder via firearms.

Right, and hopefully we'll be able to have you thrown in prison for advocating such. :D
I am pro-2A. I am actually shopping for an AR-15 under $1000 right now if you have any tips.

Im also pro 1A so I’m against throwing people in prison for advocating for gun control.

What gun control will stop all school shootings and all mass shootings?
You simply don't understand. The laws that will ban guns in the hands of civilians will make half of America feel better about themselves and those people will go to sleep knowing that they "did something" to save the nation. THAT is what's important. Then, when it doesn't work they can blame Republicans for not enforcing the law or whatever and THEN they will feel better about themselves and THAT will be what's important. Bans have been completely effective when it comes to drugs, purchasing alcohol by those under 21, speeding, seatbelts, and any number of other things. Why would it be unsuccessful with guns?

Is it unconstitutional?
Right now, yes. Would such a law ever get passed? What percent of guns would be registered? Would it actually prevent any mass shootings? Would it have prevented this one?

Back
Top Bottom