• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#37]We know why the invasion of Ukraine happened when it did

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Makes sense. China is OK with Russia attacking Ukraine, just didn't want it to upstage the Olympics headlines.

Makes sense. China is OK with Russia attacking Ukraine, just didn't want it to steal the Olympics headlines.
****ed, ain't it? Can't let human life come before meeting development schedules, and the Olympics are big money and prestige.

****ed, ain't it? Can't let human life come before meeting development schedules, and the Olympics are big money and prestige.
The Chinese have a basic philosophical difference with us. For them, the nation is more important than individual lives.

The Chinese have a basic philosophical difference with us. For them, the nation is more important than individual lives.
To clarify, I share that philosophical base with them, just with different ratios of value/more concern for other nations. My big criticism of China here is that they chose the expedience and convenience of supporting a rotting gas station of a nation over the international benefit of restraining their death throes.

To clarify, I share that philosophical base with them, just with different ratios of value/more concern for other nations. My big criticism of China here is that they chose the expedience and convenience of supporting a rotting gas station of a nation over the international benefit of restraining their death throes.
I approve of the approach President Biden is taking. Increasingly punishing sanctions, while still holding back more should the aggression escalate. This is good. Let the plight of the Russian people suffering a big recession work on Putin's attitude for a while. And the pressure can still be cranked up if that doesn't work.

I approve of the approach President Biden is taking. Increasingly punishing sanctions, while still holding back more should the aggression escalate. This is good. Let the plight of the Russian people suffering a big recession work on Putin's attitude for a while. And the pressure can still be cranked up if that doesn't work.
If sanctions had a history of actually causing regime change, I would be more optimistic about them, but they should at least cripple the Russian military's ability to project power. They're the best we can do, short of actually starting the next World War.

I don't know, are they really supporting Russia or just doing what they can to promote conflict between the west and Russia? We'll see what happens if and when Russia asks for a second front again.
Interesting times. Which brings to mind a Chinese curse- "May you live in interesting times!"

And unlike almost all other international sports federations, the IOC and FIFA will still allow Russian athletes to compete, just not under the Russian banner.

How altruistic of them. Money uber alles.

If sanctions had a history of actually causing regime change, I would be more optimistic about them, but they should at least cripple the Russian military's ability to project power. They're the best we can do, short of actually starting the next World War.
I think the power of sanctions is increasing as the world become more economically interconnected. Actual shooting wars are becoming obsolete.

I would have thought China wouldn’t be opposed to a deflection from one of the most controversial games in recent memory. And poorly watched……

I don't know, are they really supporting Russia or just doing what they can to promote conflict between the west and Russia? We'll see what happens if and when Russia asks for a second front again.
Interesting times. Which brings to mind a Chinese curse- "May you live in interesting times!"
I would say that the two are one and the same, and I would say that China (and the world at large) is better served making itself too attractive of a trade partner to wage war against. I'm of the opinion that economic interdependence is the single greatest force for peace in the modern world, and that America and Russia are both stuck with an outdated model for force projection. If China were to work as hard to deter Russian aggression as the rest of the world did, they would undoubtedly benefit from closer relations to the EU and to Eastern Europe while gaining a perceived moral victory over one of the two remaining international warmongers.

I think the power of sanctions is increasing as the world become more economically interconnected. Actual shooting wars are becoming obsolete.

Have you seen the dead bodies on the ground? Sanctions didn't cause that. Also, Obama's drone program didn't shoot sanctions.

Yemeni, Libyan, Iraqi, and Afghani civilians and wedding parties can testify to that.

The Chinese also wants to gauge international response so as to prepare for taking Taiwan.
You're just now realizing this? There's been threads about it all week.

It was speculated even prior to the invasion that the Russians would probably wait till after the Olympics.
And now there is some evidence to back up that speculation.

You're just now realizing this? There's been threads about it all week.

Nope. Just adding it to the conversation since you failed to mention it.

Hopefully Hunter can get his unsold art masterpieces out of country before the war starts.

And now there is some evidence to back up that speculation.

Speaking of speculation, did any of the dire predictions of false flag events the CIA fed to the media come true?

Nope.

Nope. Just adding it to the conversation since you failed to mention it.

Hopefully Hunter can get his unsold art masterpieces out of country before the war starts.
Those two points are unrelated to the topic.

The real topic is that this is evidence that the Chinese are far more complicit then previous evidence would suggest.

Speaking of speculation, did any of the dire predictions of false flag events the CIA fed to the media come true?

Nope.
The revealed collusion between China and Russian in regards to timing must be of some real concern if you feel the need to spam it with bullshit.

Those two points are unrelated to the topic.

The real topic is that this is evidence that the Chinese are far more complicit then previous evidence would suggest.

Of course they're complicit, and Joe Brandon didn't even mention them in his SOTU.

#sad
The revealed collusion between China and Russian in regards to timing must be of some real concern if you feel the need to spam it with bullshit.

They unleashed a deadly pandemic and their allied with Russia and Putin.

They manufacture almost everything we import and consume.

Democrats have doomed our country with their Chinese collusion, starting with Bill Clinton.

Back
Top Bottom