• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#37]American Tourists

but they do have Hamburgers in Hamburg.
I get it, tourists don't always behave well, and we all have some stories to tell. Ideally we should familiarize ourselves with customs of the host country, but very few do.
I don't think it is an American thing to misbehave.
Not exclusively, no, but predominantly?

I know I am but so are you argument?
View attachment 67404713
Flag-jacking (French: prise de drapeau) is the act of travelers wearing a foreign flag on their clothing or backpack in an attempt to disguise the country they are visiting from; this occurs most prominently in cases where American tourists wear Canadian flags in an attempt to pass as Canadians.
I've never done, and I've travel a lot abroad.

There you go, typical American attitude. Dismissing the food as substandard. I have personally witnessed, when in Germany, an American throwing a fit when on a Rhine boat cruise and the menu didn't offer hamburgers. I am not alone in that. My mother-in-law had the same experience when on a trip to Africa years back an American threw a fit because the menu at a restaurant there didn't include hamburger. Neither story is made up, which proves my point about hamburgers. I am SURE that tourism is going dead because Americans with hurt feefees are not going back. :rolleyes:
You know your constant ranting, about Americans this and Americans that, is getting tiresome. Maybe a Canadian political forum would suit you better.

They're literally everywhere in Sweden. Taking your turn is very important there. I waited to be helped for a while before I realized I needed the ticket.

Another one is space between people on public transport. My daughter said, mom, pretend there is another person there, and sit next to the imaginary person and be quite, don't talk to strangers. lmao.
Jantelagen, the idea everybody is equal for service of just about any kind. That said, they are really efficient about it!

The US could learn a lot from this, imo.

You know your constant ranting, about Americans this and Americans that, is getting tiresome. Maybe a Canadian political forum would suit you better.
And miss out on rattling your cage?

The more correct term is called trolling. Why are you trolling?
Who is trolling? There are no rules that say that a non-American can not participate in political discussions concerning the U.S. But bleating fools like America want to make snide remarks about Canadians, and that is NOT trolling?
Then you come along and accuse me of trolling, how ironic is that. Clearly I have rattled some cages by speaking my mind. Don't like it? Go to the next thread. See how simple that is?

I get why Americans get upset. Many of these foreign countries seem to have a different word for everything.

Who is trolling? There are no rules that say that a non-American can not participate in political discussions concerning the U.S. But bleating fools like America want to make snide remarks about Canadians, and that is NOT trolling?
Then you come along and accuse me of trolling, how ironic is that. Clearly I have rattled some cages by speaking my mind. Don't like it? Go to the next thread. See how simple that is?
Posting with the intent to rattle someone's cage is just trolling, but only if you admit it.

Clearly you are trying to bullshit around it, but it is what it is.

I've traveled to a lot of countries. I've never once had anyone get mad at me for being American. I'm sure I've made mistakes that any tourist might make, but generally in most countries people are pretty welcoming. Tourists should just make an effort not to be an ass, regardless of nationality, and they'll be fine most anywhere. In fact, the only place I've ever traveled where I've felt unwelcome was in the United States, on one of the Indian reservations in South Dakota. They really seemed to not want white people there.
Now YOUR turn, if the above triggered you, tell me how much you hate Canadians
1659585775590.png
I spent the past week in Quebec City and Montreal. Good times and good people in both. Quebec City is one of the prettiest cities in North America IMO.

Posting with the intent to rattle someone's cage is just trolling, but only if you admit it.

Clearly you are trying to bullshit around it, but it is what it is.
Ever hear of sarcasm? BTW, read American's comments to me, and see if he actually addressed any of the issues I brought up in comment #24. NOPE. Instead he launched into a personal attack. Why? Because my comment #24 hit home and rattled his cage. If it hadn't he would have given me a rebuttal to my comment without the personal attack.
If that isn't good enough for you, too bad. I guarantee, even if I tell you I won't respond further to you, you will continue to make snide remarks. See ya.

Moderator's Warning:
Stick to the topic, which is not each other. If you believe a post breaks DP rules, Report it, do not discuss it in this thread. Thread bans may be issued for posts above this warning.

There you go, typical American attitude. Dismissing the food as substandard. I have personally witnessed, when in Germany, an American throwing a fit when on a Rhine boat cruise and the menu didn't offer hamburgers. I am not alone in that. My mother-in-law had the same experience when on a trip to Africa years back an American threw a fit because the menu at a restaurant there didn't include hamburger. Neither story is made up, which proves my point about hamburgers. I am SURE that tourism is going dead because Americans with hurt feefees are not going back. :rolleyes:
Well...it WAS invented in Hamburg, Germany.

I used to lead Americans on tours in Europe and the first suggestion I told the tourist was respect the people and the country you are in. Second, learn at least a few phrases for each country and use them in restaurants and shops instead of just avoiding trying to speak to the staff. Same on the streets.

Based on your little whiny tantrum in Post #6 above, I think you're telling a giant lie.
The only Americans you ever led on anything was a delegation of idiots to the nearest Euro Mickey D's where all of you complained about them not having the Quarter Pounder.

I don't think it is an American thing to misbehave.

No, it's not exclusive to America or Americans.
A lot of countries have documented wealthy Chinese tourists who are guilty of some rather obnoxious conduct as well.
Thing is, in the early postwar years, millions of Americans began vacationing all over Europe and even a few Asian countries, and they quickly became known as

"The Ugly Americans"

But yes it's true that in recent years wealthy tourists come over here return "the favor".
But two wrongs don't make a right as I am sure you'd agree.

The one phrase I try to learn first if I travel abroad is something along the lines of "My apologies for destroying your language" which usually gets a good laugh and some sympathy or empathy.

Funny, but I have to say it is more down to the individual than place of origin. There are plenty of annoying Swedes out there..

But an occation I remember:

An American man holding a lecture to me and my friend at a restaurant in Croatia about that you only should eat salad because you can get salmonella from processed food. We tried to tell him it was the other way around, but he knew best.

Then there is the obvious culture clashes:

Italian guy giving his son a slap at a store in Stockholm: Police got more than 100 phone calls in less than a minute, 5 minutes later the police apprehended him at the store and throw him in jail.

American CEO at a gathering with her Swedish management team (I was there), drank three glasses of wine and then drove her car home. (There is zero tolerance for drink and drive among Swedes) Caused for a very awkward situation and her authority was severely diminished after the incident...

Another culture crash I remember is a young American project leader that during a project meeting took the chance to bark loudly at one of his project staff. No one said a word at the meeting and the whole meeting turned into a very quiet awkward time. After the meeting half of his project staff asked to be transferred to another project, among those his favorite.

Swedes dislike confrontations and you do not single out someone in front of others like that. It makes Swedes assess you as unstable. If you have problems with a staff member you talk to that staff member in private and you never yell.

And miss out on rattling your cage?
Spreading lies doesn't rattle my cage, buddy. You must lead a sad life the way piss and moan all ****ing day.

Oh looky!

Back
Top Bottom