• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 355] Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

lol...you're really going to act all superior about "logic" when discussing faith issues? Is unfounded smugness one of the tools in the JW soul saving toolbox?

It's nice that JW's don't believe in Hell. I hope you enjoy your religion. However folks should be careful about taking advice about what the Bible says from people who rewrote the Bible to suit their fancy. They should also remember that JW is not Christianity, and if they have any questions about Christianity, they should probably find a Christian.

The "logic" is about one inch off the ground.

So you believe in hellfire...got it...:2razz:

Another excellent video with the Biblical explanation as to why there is no hellfire...all points I've made before on here but some still choose to gloss over...I guess the logic is just over some people's heads...

For those who can't download the video...

That's what certain cults teach.

It makes no difference at all if you believe in God or not.....we'll all go to heaven!
It makes no difference at all if you murder and rape your life away, God is merciful!
He won't be punishing anyone.

Heck, why do you even need to have any religion at all? :lol:

If that's what you believe - does it makes any sense to be a Jehovah's Witness? Why be tied up with all their rules and regulations? For what? Potluck suppers? <scratching head >

Hellfire preaching is...... believe it or not...... biblical!

Clearly, Jesus taught on hell, and He did so to warn people not to go there. Hell is depicted in Scripture as a very nasty place from which there is no escape.

The punishment of the wicked dead in hell is described throughout Scripture as “eternal fire” (Matthew 25:41), “unquenchable fire” (Matthew 3:12), “shame and everlasting contempt” (Daniel 12:2), a place where “the fire is not quenched” (Mark 9:44-49), a place of “torment” and “fire” (Luke 16:23-24), a place where “the smoke of torment rises forever and ever” (Revelation 14:10-11), and a “lake of burning sulfur” where the wicked are “tormented day and night forever and ever” (Revelation 20:10). Surely, a loving and compassionate Savior could not be so described if He failed to warn us about hell.

But Jesus is certainly loving and compassionate, and He presented the joys and bliss of heaven and was clear about the only way to attain them. “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life,” He said. “No one comes to the Father but through me” (John 14:6).
The apostle Paul was equally blunt about the fate of those who rejected the gospel of salvation through Christ alone. They are condemned to “everlasting destruction” (2 Thessalonians 1:8-9).

Is there a place for hellfire preaching today? Not only is there a place for teaching about the fires of hell and the only way to escape them, but true preaching of the gospel of Christ is not complete without it.
https://www.gotquestions.org/hellfire-preaching.html

Jesus lays out everything on the table. This is what happens if you don't go through Me!
He gives the scenario (consequence) for those who don't make it.

Even in everyday life, don't we know anything....aren't we warned about consequences for actions?
Doesn't your mother tell you, "look both sides before crossing the street....or you could get hit by a car?"

This kinda reminds me of the technique Satan used on Eve in the garden.

Even though God had already warned Adam and Eve about the consequence of eating from the tree - what did Satan say?

Genesis 3

3 but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’”

4 The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die!

Last edited:

There's nothing "logical" about a faith discussion...which anyone who has faith, but not their head up their ass, would tell you (I know, I know, having faith and having head up ass is the same for you, but there it is - at least I'm not trying to argue that we're based in logic).

Six centuries? It was written during the middle of the 2nd century BC, and was a symbolically veiled-referenced to the Seleucids. What was that you keep telling everybody else, to “do their homework”?
OM

Do your homework. About the only people who believe Daniel is 2nd century are liberals who deny the supernatural. I don't know of any conservative theologians who buy into a 2nd century Daniel.

Alexander the Great and Daniel

JOSEPHUS [Antiquities, 11.8.5] mentions that Alexander the Great had designed to punish the Jews for their fidelity to Darius, but that Jaddua (332 B.C.), the high priest, met him at the head of a procession and averted his wrath by showing him Daniel's prophecy that a Grecian monarch should overthrow Persia. Certain it is, Alexander favored the Jews, and JOSEPHUS' statement gives an explanation of the fact; at least it shows that the Jews in JOSEPHUS' days believed that Daniel was extant in Alexander's days, long before the Maccabees.

So that's 332 BC and the writing shown to Alexander had to be even older, so you should rethink your 2nd century Daniel. And there's a whole lot more than that you need to research.

Here's a couple of quotes for you:

"The (critics of Daniel) cannot believe in miracles and predictive prophecy which involve nothing but a simple faith in a wise and mighty and merciful God intervening in behalf of his people for his own glory and their salvation; BUT THEY CAN BELIEVE that a lot of obstreperous and cantankerous Jews who through all their history from Jacob and Esau down to the present time have disagreed and quarreled about almost everything, or nothing, could have accepted, unanimously and without a murmur, in an age when they were enlightened by the brilliant light of Platos philosophy, and Aristotles logic, and the criticism of the schools of Alexandria, a forged and ficticious document, untrue to the well remembered facts of their own experience and to the easily ascertained facts concerning their own past history and the history of the Babylonians, Medes, Persians, and Greeks of whom the author (of the book of Daniel) writes." R.D. Wilson, Studies in the Book of Daniel, pages 268, 269

"The Sanhedrin of the second century B.C. was composed of men of the type of John Hyrcanus; men famed for their piety and learning; men who were heirs of all the proud traditions of the Jewish faith, and themselves the sons of successors of the heroes of the noble Maccabean revolt. And yet we are asked to believe (by the critics of Daniel) that these men, with their extremely strict views of inspiration and their intense reverence for their sacred writings, used their authority to smuggle into the Jewish Canon a book which, ex hypothesi, was a forgery, a literary fraud, and a religious novel of recent date." R. Anderson, Daniel in the Critics Den, pages 104-105

That's what certain cults teach.

It makes no difference at all if you believe in God or not.....we'll all go to heaven!
It makes no difference at all if you murder and rape your life away, God is merciful!
He won't be punishing anyone.

Heck, why do you even need to have any religion at all? :lol:

If that's what you believe - does it makes any sense to be a Jehovah's Witness? Why be tied up with all their rules and regulations? For what? Potluck suppers? <scratching head >

Hellfire preaching is...... believe it or not...... biblical!

https://www.gotquestions.org/hellfire-preaching.html

Jesus lays out everything on the table. This is what happens if you don't go through Me!
He gives the scenario (consequence) for those who don't make it.

Even in everyday life, don't we know anything....aren't we warned about consequences for actions?
Doesn't your mother tell you, "look both sides before crossing the street....or you could get hit by a car?"

This kinda reminds me of the technique Satan used on Eve in the garden.

Even though God had already warned Adam and Eve about the consequence of eating from the tree - what did Satan say?

Genesis 3

3 but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’”

4 The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die!

Yeah, the videos cover all of that and more...you didn't watch, huh...

I know this is foreign concept to you, but I serve Jehovah because I love Him...not for any other reason...

I know this is foreign concept to you, but I serve Jehovah becasue I love Him...not for any other reason...

I know you're getting upset about people not being willing to watch your video, but one more time, unless they're JW, they're not going to be interested in what it has to say, if it is trying to pass itself of as Christianity. Your religion is less than 100 years old, and is not Christianity. I'm thinking Christians are about as interested in why JW's think they are right as JW's are interested in why Scientologists think they are right...Scientology used as an example as it was conceived just 20 years after JW.

I'm glad you found meaning in your life, and a religion that you enjoy. But maybe try to live and let live a little. I'm interested in hearing about your religion, but you're wasting your time if you think you're going to influence anyone about their religion when yours is a different one, especially when your default go to when challenged is smugness and condescension. This whole thread is a fraud, because you didn't add the prefix "JW" ahead of Bible.

If anyone in this thread would like to know what the Christian Bible says about hell, for better or worse, for interpretation or discussion or dismissal, here it is:

https://www.openbible.info/topics/hell

There you go. Now, back to what JW's believe....

I know this is foreign concept to you, but I serve Jehovah because I love Him...not for any other reason...

The video may've covered all that....but I'm sure, it doesn't refute what I just said. It can't.

Last edited:

The video may've covered it....but I'm sure, it can't refute what I just said.

Afraid to watch, huh...

Afraid to watch, huh...

Lol.

Since you've been stumped at the other thread....I've been asking you to bring some of your teachers here on this forum, to answer for you - I'd love to debate with them

- especially the one you call, "the best!"

Do you think that, being afraid? :lol: I've got the Truth with me! There's nothing to be afraid of.

It's a waste of time. You're simply posting propaganda videos.

Last edited:

Lol. I've been asking you to bring some of your teachers here on this forum to answer for you - I'd love to debate with them - especially the one you call "the best!"

Do you think that, being afraid? :lol:

It's a waste of time. You're simply posting propaganda videos.

Teachers? What in the heck are you babbling about now? I am not in school...my one and only teacher is the Great Teacher, Jesus Christ...yes, he is the best and the only one I've ever referred to...

FYI, the videos in this thread are not JW videos...so wrong again...yes, you are a complete waste of time because you have no idea what you're talking about, with your childish posting techniques...now shoo...

Afraid to watch, huh...

Anyone who believes God will not be "tormenting" people, if you think He's only kidding.....you ought to read Genesis again!

If God warns that you'll suffer if you fail to do what is required - you better believe it.
He's done it before!

Genesis 3

To the woman He said,
“I will greatly multiply
Your pain in childbirth,
In pain you will bring forth children;
Yet your desire will be for your husband,
And he will rule over you.”

17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;

Cursed is the ground because of you;
In toil you will eat of it
All the days of your life.
“Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you;
And you will eat the plants of the field;
By the sweat of your face
You will eat bread,
Till you return to the ground,
Because from it you were taken;
For you are dust,
And to dust you shall return.”

Why do you think life is hard?

He's warned the Jews, too - several times! He punished them - several times! And those are His chosen people!
How many times were the Israelites enslaved? For how long?

Last edited:

Teachers? What in the heck are you babbling about now? I am not in school...my one and only teacher is the Great Teacher, Jesus Christ...yes, he is the best and the only one I've ever referred to...

FYI, the videos in this thread are not JW videos...so wrong again...yes, you are a complete waste of time because you have no idea what you're talking about, with your childish posting techniques...now shoo...

You mentioned it at the other thread. If you're denying it - so be it.
Bring "whatever you call em," - those who think and interpret the Bible for you - to come over here and
debate with us!

JW or not, :roll: surely you wouldn't be giving any videos that do not support your position about
hellfire and eternal damnation.

Last edited:

Bishop Spong is a heretic who doesn't even believe in the resurrection of Jesus, yet he wears the white collar. If he's a priest of anything, it's a priest for Satan.

Here's "What's Wrong with Bishop Spong"

https://creation.com/whats-wrong-with-bishop-spong

Is that Spong? I didn't recognize him. He's great for new age babble.

The concept of a hell was added by religious leaders at the time to gain control of their flock.
Still works amazingly well 2,000 years later I must say (just look @ Logicman)

Prove it.

You mentioned it at the other thread. If you're denying it - so be it.
Bring "whatever you call em," - those who think and interpret the Bible for you - to come over here and
debate with us!

JW or not, :roll: surely you wouldn't be giving any videos that do not support your position about
hellfire and eternal damnation.

This is exactly why I hate talking to you...you have some serious comprehension problems...I was talking about Jesus because he is referred to as "The Greatest Teacher Who Ever Lived"...duh...google it...I thought everyone knew that...guess not...bye...:2brickwal

This is exactly why I hate talking to you...you have some serious comprehension problems...I was talking about Jesus because he is referred to as "The Greatest Teacher Who Ever Lived"...duh...google it...I thought everyone knew that...guess not...bye...:2brickwal

Your JW Jesus isn't the Jesus of the real Bible. Your Jesus is an angel who became a man. The Biblical Jesus was always God, who incarnated as a man and then returned to Heaven.

And that's just ONE of the reasons why the JW's are a cult and why your JW videos and teachings are horse manure.

Take it easy with that head-banging, eh? :lol:

Read my post again. You're the one with comprehension issues!

I asked you to bring those who interpret the Bible for you - whatever you call them (since you don't call them teachers)!

So has anyone actually watched the videos? You know...the topic of this thread? If so, what did you think?

Christians refer to Jesus Christ as the Son of God, a member of the Holy Trinity, who died for our sins and was raised from the dead, and who will return. For more information on who Christians say Christ was, consider the Nicene Creed, from the year 325, and still repeated today:

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified
under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

That is how we refer to Christ. He was great at a lot of things, among them teaching.

Trying to help you out - sometimes people from different religions get confused.

Christians refer to Jesus Christ as the Son of God, a member of the Holy Trinity, who died for our sins and was raised from the dead, and who will return. For more information on who Christians say Christ was, consider the Nicene Creed, from the year 325:

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified
under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

That is how we refer to Christ. He was great at a lot of things, among them teaching.

Trying to help you out - sometimes people from different religions get confused.

I would love it if Elvira and POS explained how JW soteriology works. But they cant. I have asked before.

"When Jesus finished these sayings, the effect was that the crowds were astounded at his way of teaching." Matthew 7:28

"And they were astounded at his way of teaching, for he was teaching them as one having authority, and not as the scribes." Mark 1:22

"...and they were astounded at his way of teaching, because he spoke with authority." Luke 4:32

So has anyone actually watched the videos? You know...the topic of this thread? If so, what did you think?

Don't agree with it.

Tell me, in the JW's teachings or beliefs, what part do works play in the salvation equation?

Is it

a. faith + works + baptism = salvation
b. faith + works + belief in the JW's = salvation
c. faith and no works = salvation
d. faith + baptism = salvation?

Or something else? Please specify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom