• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 355] Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
An objective and fair minded explanation on hellfire and the lake of fire...

Last edited:
Re: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

Thread: Does the Bible teach eternal torment in hell for the unbelievers?

So does the Quran. What about it?

These are just childish scare-tactics to scare the gullible. Its goal is unquestioned political power.

Indeed, those who disbelieve in Our verses – We will drive them into a Fire. Every time their skins are roasted through We will replace them with other skins so they may taste the punishment. Indeed, God is ever Exalted in Might and Wise." (Quran 4:56)

"…poured upon their heads will be scalding water by which is melted that within their bellies and (their) skins." (Quran 22:19-20)

"Super-heated water will be poured onto their heads and will dissolve through it until it cuts up their innards, expelling them; until it comes out of their feet, and everything is melted. Then they will be restored as they were."

"The Fire will burn their faces and they will grin therein, their lips displaced." (Quran 23:104)

"The Day their faces will be turned over in the Fire, they will say, ‘How we wish we had obeyed God and obeyed the Messenger.’" (Quran 33:66)

"Those who deny the Book (the Quran) and that with which We sent Our messengers – they are going to know, when the shackles are around their necks and the chains; they will be dragged in boiling water; then in the Fire they will be filled (with flame)." (Quran 40:70-72)

So you gonna sign up for the local Mosque now? If not, why not?

These are just childish scare-tactics to scare the gullible. Its goal is unquestioned political power.

So you gonna sign up for the local Mosque now? If not, why not?

Watch the video...it is not what you think it is...

Watch the video...it is not what you think it is...

OK, but the link doesn’t work.

OK, but the link doesn’t work.

Sorry, try this...

Sorry, try this...

Whether Christians believe that Unbelievers are going to suffer in hellfire through eternity or not really depends on their mood. They will “properly interpret” your scripture to reflect that most current mood. There was a period in Medeival times that Christians did not think that even any of them were going to get into heaven.

It sounds like you’re in a good and charitable mood these days. Thanks for not wanting to throw us in eternal eternal hellfire.

Last edited:

Whether Christians believe that Unbelievers are going to suffer in hellfire through eternity or not really depends on their mood. They will “properly interpret” your scripture to reflect that most current mood. There was a period in Medeival times that Christians did not think that even any of them were going to get into heaven.

It sounds like you’re in a good and charitable mood these days. Thanks for not wanting to throw us in eternal eternal hellfire.

If so, I've been in that same mood for the last 42+ years...:2razz:

Even though Steve says at the end of the video the Bible is not clear on the subject, his reasoning makes complete sense when studying the scriptures in depth on hell...

If so, I've been in that same mood for the last 42+ years...:2razz:

Even though Steve says at the end of the video the Bible is not clear on the subject, his reasoning makes complete sense when studying the scriptures in depth on hell...

Sounds like a you are a nice person. So does Steve. But you can study Scripture in as much depth as you want. It is still nothing more than just a reflection and projection of your own most current mood, personality, and opinions. It is vague, abstract, and broad enough that you can have it come out meaning whatever you like. “Not clear” is right. Not just on this topic, but on just about everything. It is like one of those Rorschach tests psychologists use to see what’s in their clients’ heads. Those images are randomly generated and there’s nothing they are “really” supposed to mean, no matter how in-depth you study them.

Last edited:

Sounds like a you are a nice person. So does Steve. But you can study Scripture in as much depth as you want. It is still nothing more than just a reflection and projection of your own most current mood, personality, and opinions. It is vague, abstract, and broad enough that you can have it come out meaning whatever you like. “Not clear” is right. Not just on this topic, but on just about everything. It is like one of those Rorschach tests psychologists use to see what’s in their clients’ heads. Those images are randomly generated and there’s nothing they are “really” supposed to mean, no matter how in-depth you study them.

Not true...when I first learned there is no hellfire, I refuse to believe it...took a lot of studying to convince myself of the truth...same with the trinity, the immortal soul, and all good people go to heaven...all foreign, inconceivable thoughts to me at first that they were not true...now I am convinced more than ever they were lies...there is no hellfire, no human has an immortal soul, the trinity is a lie, and not all good people are going to heaven, but they will live right here on a paradise earth, as God originally purposed...of those truths, I am sure...

Not true...when I first learned there is no hellfire, I refuse to believe it...took a lot of studying to convince myself of the truth...same with the trinity, the immortal soul, and all good people go to heaven...all foreign, inconceivable thoughts to me at first that they were not true...now I am convinced more than ever they were lies...there is no hellfire, no human has an immortal soul, the trinity is a lie, and not all good people are going to heaven, but they will live right here on a paradise earth, as God originally purposed...of those truths, I am sure...

You are looking in the mirror and thinking you are seeing something other than yourself.

The concepts of “heaven” and “hell” are based upon very simple human constructs; redemption, and revenge. “I have been oppressed, and deserve an eternity of happiness, whereas my oppressors deserve an eternity of suffering”.

OM

The concepts of “heaven” and “hell” are based upon very simple human constructs; redemption, and revenge. “I have been oppressed, and deserve an eternity of happiness, whereas my oppressors deserve an eternity of suffering”.

OM

Or, as I sort of deduced as a child, they are the carrot and stick.

At age 7, I made the mistake of saying, "God is Santa Clause for adults". I got in trouble for that...

Or, as I sort of deduced as a child, they are the carrot and stick.

At age 7, I made the mistake of saying, "God is Santa Clause for adults". I got in trouble for that...

Wow. Leave it to a kid to say it so concisely and clearly, and cut right to the point!

Wow. Leave it to a kid to say it so concisely and clearly, and cut right to the point!

I now realize that I was being politically incorrect before the concept was defined.

These are just childish scare-tactics to scare the gullible. Its goal is unquestioned political power
This ^^^

The concept of a hell was added by religious leaders at the time to gain control of their flock.
Still works amazingly well 2,000 years later I must say (just look @ OP).

At least one priest openly admits this though

The concepts of “heaven” and “hell” are based upon very simple human constructs; redemption, and revenge.

OM

Redemption and divine Justice.

This ^^^

The concept of a hell was added by religious leaders at the time to gain control of their flock.
Still works amazingly well 2,000 years later I must say (just look @ OP).

At least one priest openly admits this though

Bishop Spong is a heretic who doesn't even believe in the resurrection of Jesus, yet he wears the white collar. If he's a priest of anything, it's a priest for Satan.

Here's "What's Wrong with Bishop Spong"

https://creation.com/whats-wrong-with-bishop-spong

Bishop Spong is a heretic who doesn't even believe in the resurrection of Jesus, yet he wears the white collar. If he's a priest of anything, it's a priest for Satan.

Here's "What's Wrong with Bishop Spong"

https://creation.com/whats-wrong-with-bishop-spong
Still works amazingly well 2,000 years later I must say (just look @ Logicman)

Still works amazingly well 2,000 years later I must say (just look @ Logicman)

Nice try.

Answer me this, which is a scripture some six centuries before Jesus:

Daniel 12:2 - "Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt."

Where is this place of everlasting contempt that the prophet Daniel is referring to?

Another excellent video with the Biblical explanation as to why there is no hellfire...all points I've made before on here but some still choose to gloss over...I guess the logic is just over some people's heads...

For those who can't download the video...

What does the Bible say about hell? Is hell biblical? Do you want to know the truth about hell? Many people claim that Hell is the absence of God, but that is not what the Bible says.

If you look up the word Sheol in many Bible translations, you will find that it's often translated as “hell”, however, the modern concept of “hell” does not line up with the Biblical descriptions of Sheol.

The word Sheol occurs sixty-five times in the Hebrew Bible. The King James Bible translates thirty-one of those occurrences as ‘hell’; another thirty-one as ‘grave’, and three occurrences as ‘pit’.

The word “hell” is used approximately fifty-four times in most Bibles, and is translated from several different words including "Sheol," "Hades," "Gehenna," and "Tartarus". All of these words have different meanings and usage in the Scriptures, and their collective translation as "hell" has caused major confusion about death.

The word Hell was derived from the Old English word "helle," and is related to the Old Norse goddess named "Hel". In its original use and etymology, the word Hell literally means "to cover, or conceal," and may have simply referred to the ground covering over the dead person. However, in many pagan cultures, it was believed that Hell (or Hades) was the underworld, and was ruled by the god of the dead.

The more popular modern version of this concept refers to a place of fiery torment, and is understood by many to be the home of Satan and his demons. It's believed that the unrighteous dead go immediately to hell to be tortured in flames for eternity. Many people also believe that Satan and his demons are in charge of actively torturing those damned souls. However, in spite of the fact that none of these ideas can be traced back to the Bible, they remain the popular mainstream view of hell today.

The Bible never says that Satan is in charge of Hell or even that he is currently living there, in fact, the Bible says that Satan will be cast into the lake of fire after the thousand year reign of the Messiah.

The idea that Satan oversees Hell is rooted in the Greek belief in Hades as the god of the underworld. When people say that Satan is in charge of Hell, they are rehearsing pagan mythology, and confessing Satan to be the god of the underworld, and participating in a modern “Christianized” version of the pantheon.

The Bible says that Satan will be bound in the bottomless pit during the thousand year reign of the Messiah, and that he will be released for a short time to deceive the nations before being cast into the lake of fire. The Bible also speaks of fallen angels who were imprisoned in Tartarus to be held for judgment.

The idea that Satan is the god of the underworld comes from various pagan religions including Ancient Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, Persian, Roman, Germanic, and Celtic mythology, and is completely unbiblical.

Last edited:

Nice try.

Daniel 12:2 - "Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt."

Where is this place of everlasting contempt that the prophet Daniel is referring to?

Didn't watch the video, huh...don't ask questions that have already been answered in the video...

Redemption and divine Justice.

I was referring more or less to the Judaistic origins, of a belief that their God will redeem them by way of punishing their enemies. You know... revenge.

OM

Nice try.

Six centuries? It was written during the middle of the 2nd century BC, and was a symbolically veiled-referenced to the Seleucids. What was that you keep telling everybody else, to “do their homework”?

OM

Another excellent video with the Biblical explanation as to why there is no hellfire...all points I've made before on here but some still choose to gloss over...I guess the logic is just over some people's heads...

lol...you're really going to act all superior about "logic" when discussing faith issues? Is unfounded smugness one of the tools in the JW soul saving toolbox?

It's nice that JW's don't believe in Hell. I hope you enjoy your religion. However folks should be careful about taking advice about what the Bible says from people who rewrote the Bible to suit their fancy. They should also remember that JW is not Christianity, and if they have any questions about Christianity, they should probably find a Christian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom