• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:320]Bandwagon Of Doom Washed Away By Tidal wave of data.

[h=2]Alarmist Claims Of Increasing European Drought Are A Myth, New Scientific Findings Show[/h]By P Gosselin on 26. June 2020
Share this...

[h=2]The myth of increasing European drought[/h]By Frank Bosse
(Translated, edited by P Gosselin)
It sounds so simple: it is undoubtedly getting warmer in Central Europe, and this is leading to increasing droughts. If you take the last two summers, this seems to be confirmed. And just like that it was exploited by the media: There’s a strong link between past climate change and increasing drought.
Climate change leads to drought,” wrote MDR “Wissen” in April 2020, and many examples of the hype could be given about two summers in a row that were too dry, let’s leave it at that. But is this true? Does the unmistakable signal of warming, which is man-made, really show an increasing trend in drought here and in Europe?
“Astonishing results”
This paper by a team of 20 authors from meteorological institutes in Europe gets to the bottom of this question by evaluating really long-lasting observations between 1850 and 2018. One could take the easy way out, because the result is already in the short summary:
Results reveal a general absence of statistically significant long-term trends in the study domain…”
The results reveal the absence of statistically significant long-term trends in the area studied. The warming is a confirmed long-term trend, the allegedly increasing drought is not. This is astonishing. What have the authors done?
The authors use the “Standardized Precipitation Index” (SPI) as a scientifically recognized measure of the occurrence of droughts to examine the European region. . . .

You have made no argument relevant to the Climate Realism post.

No arguments?? Are you high? or are you just ignoring reality again?

Despite your and Lord's denials and insults I and longview have actually been debating my point. I have made arguments in posts 238, 246, 272, 274, 276, 282, 292, 297, 299, 303, 305, 316, and 321.

To say I haven't made any arguments is... well...

:screwy

The problem is not Jack's citations, point out that crop yields have increased while the IPCC claimed they would decline.
The Problem is that your devout orthodoxy, will not allow you to tolerate any question of your faith.

Devout orthodoxy and faith have nothing to do with it. I just know that there are numerous factors beyond just the warming of the planet and increases in CO2 that determine food production yields.

longview said:
FYI, even the heartland citation did not say all the increase in yield was from climate change, but they did mention
that,

This statement or the final statement,

do not say that increases in crop yields are ONLY from climate change

Yeah... they didn't explicitly say that all the increases were from just CO2 and climate change. But that is the only thing they even mentioned when discussing what is causing increases in yields leaving it extremely likely that most readers would incorrectly make that connection. It is a common tactic denialists use to misinform their readers.

I think you should go back and actually read some of that IPCC report you linked to earlier and take note of section 5.2.2.1 where it says this:

Observed impacts. Since AR5, there have been further studies that document impacts of climate change on crop production and related variables (Supplementary Material Table SM5.3). There have also been a few studies that demonstrate a strengthening relationship between observed climate variables and crop yields that indicate future expected warming will have severe impacts on crop production (Mavromatis 2015; Innes et al. 2015). At the global scale, Iizumi et al. (2018) used a counterfactual analysis and found that climate change between 1981 and 2010 has decreased global mean yields of maize, wheat, and soybeans by 4.1, 1.8 and 4.5%, respectively, relative to preindustrial climate, even when CO2 fertilisation and agronomic adjustments are considered.
emphasis mine

There is lots more with numerous studies.

It looks like I was right... you didn't even read that study that you cited.

No arguments?? Are you high? or are you just ignoring reality again?

Despite your and Lord's denials and insults I and longview have actually been debating my point. I have made arguments in posts 238, 246, 272, 274, 276, 282, 292, 297, 299, 303, 305, 316, and 321.

To say I haven't made any arguments is... well...

:screwy

I will rephrase. No argument to be taken seriously.

I will rephrase. No argument to be taken seriously.

You should just be honest for once and rephrase again with something like... No arguments that you are able to address.

Devout orthodoxy and faith have nothing to do with it. I just know that there are numerous factors beyond just the warming of the planet and increases in CO2 that determine food production yields.

Yeah... they didn't explicitly say that all the increases were from just CO2 and climate change. But that is the only thing they even mentioned when discussing what is causing increases in yields leaving it extremely likely that most readers would incorrectly make that connection. It is a common tactic denialists use to misinform their readers.

I think you should go back and actually read some of that IPCC report you linked to earlier and take note of section 5.2.2.1 where it says this:

emphasis mine

There is lots more with numerous studies.

It looks like I was right... you didn't even read that study that you cited.
Yes the findings of the IPCC were in direct conflict with the facts!
They said that crop yield were 1981 and 2010 had decreased, and would decrease further,
when in fact, crop yields had nearly doubled since 1981.

Back
Top Bottom