• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:315]Trump threatens to shut border 'entirely' unless Democrats fund wall

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Donald Trump threatened on Friday to close the US southern border with Mexico entirely if his demands for money to build a wall there are not met.

The escalating threats came on the seventh day of a partial government shutdown that began when the president refused to accept legislation to fund government agencies unless it also contained money for the wall.

“We will be forced to close the Southern Border entirely if the Obstructionist Democrats do not give us the money to finish the Wall & also change the ridiculous immigration laws that our Country is saddled with,” Trump said on Twitter.

Source: (The Guardian) Trump threatens to shut border 'entirely' unless Democrats fund wall

So here we go. It is my opinion that once Nancy Pelosi and the new House is installed come Jan 3, that she will be in the catbird's seat. Trump will increasingly feel the heat of inaction. In fact, it appears to me he's already flailing-around with Tweets like this, digging a deeper hole for himself, seemingly without an exit strategy.

Does he even have an exit strategy? We shall see.

Re: Trump threatens to shut border 'entirely' unless Democrats fund wall

Some have argued once pinned to a corner he might start a war. The part of my brain that enjoys gawking at car wrecks is eager to see what he will do next.

Source: (The Guardian) Trump threatens to shut border 'entirely' unless Democrats fund wall

So here we go. It is my opinion that once Nancy Pelosi and the new House is installed come Jan 3, that she will be in the catbird's seat. Trump will increasingly feel the heat of inaction. In fact, it appears to me he's already flailing-around with Tweets like this, digging a deeper hole for himself, seemingly without an exit strategy.

He is not going to do that, as it would be a disaster.

He is ranting, raging, and running out of time. Just try it....

Why do the Democrats need to fund a wall that Mexico is paying for?

He is not going to do that, as it would be a disaster.

He is ranting, raging, and running out of time. Just try it....
Yes, the Tweet is complete nonsense. It would immediately crash the markets, and kill GDP and corporate earnings.

I think Pelosi's best tact might be to let him keep flailing-around, and let the public spectacle sink-in with the body politic, while the Dems keep relatively quiet themselves. Like Mueller with his peaking indictments, she will have the opportunity to speak through the bills she sends to the Senate.

Morning Chomsky....Hope you had a wonderful Christmas....

Pelosi in the "catbird seat"? She will be speaker of the House, not at all as much power as Trump has to order a total closing of the southern border....It is amazing to me that liberals think that they can just bully their agenda 100% of the time.

I think it's time for the President to play hardball with these people, and address the nation from the Oval, declare a Federal emergency at the southern border, and completely close the border with the US Army, not in a support role either, but authority to detain, arrest, and defend. This crap is at a tipping point.

From what I've heard, he never had an entry strategy. There's a pretty large school of thought that says that he never wanted the presidency - he just wanted to rile up a pretty sizable base who would, in turn, subscribe to TrumpTV.

Some have argued once pinned to a corner he might start a war. The part of my brain that enjoys gawking at car wrecks is eager to see what he will do next.

Interesting. But a war with who? Mexico? Some other random country, to deflect from how he is circling the drain?

Why do the Democrats need to fund a wall that Mexico is paying for?
Yeah. Somehow we went from,

"Mexico will pay for the wall"

to,

"I'll shut-down their government, unless the American citizens give me money"

It's insulting.

Yeah. Somehow we went from,

"Mexico will pay for the wall"

to,

"I'll shut-down their government, unless the American citizens give me money"

It's insulting.

It's only insulting to his supporters who displayed one of history's great mind farts and actually believed him, and are now twisting like pretzels to cover for his great lie and their massive ignorance.

To the smart kids, it's just another lie from the world's most prolific liar.

I'll never understand how the same people that constantly warn of authoritarianism via the expansion of social programs so easily fall in line with the right wing authoritarianism in our government now. Pelosi has the advantage here. The House is the most democratic institution we have, and the American people don't support what Trump is trying to force through. Democracy is Trump's greatest enemy.

Pelosi in the "catbird seat"? She will be speaker of the House, not at all as much power as Trump has to order a total closing of the southern border....It is amazing to me that liberals think that they can just bully their agenda 100% of the time.

I think it's time for the President to play hardball with these people, and address the nation from the Oval, declare a Federal emergency at the southern border, and completely close the border with the US Army, not in a support role either, but authority to detain, arrest, and defend. This crap is at a tipping point.
Good morning! And Merry Christmas, too!

Here's a post from another thread, that explains my rationale that Pelosi has the upper hand in this (shutdown) matter:

Come Jan 3rd, Pelosi will start fliring-off bills to the Senate, leaving the Republican Senate or Trump to obstruct them. The GOP (via the Senate) will be in the hotseat. They will either take the heat, putting them in a precarious position again in 2020, or the will pass the heat on to Trump. She will tie the GOP to Trump & the shutdown. They will have to defend every decision to stop the funding and other bills they are sent.

In the end, I believe she will prevail legislatively, and politically. I just don't see a Trump win here. He seems to have gotten himself into a hole, with no exit strategy. As usual, for his impetuous nature.

Remember, Trump is threatening to shut-down the border completely, including to trade. This will tank the markets, kill corporate earnings, and decimate GDP. So it's obviously a hollow threat.

Oh please God, let Trump shut down the border! His own party will remove him from office.

What's he going to do, ignore posse comitus and deploy a couple hundred thousand troops along this border?

Or is he just going to shut down the check points and **** over anyone who happens to be on a pre-arranged trip - business or pleasure - while doing absolutely nothing to stop people who had no intention of entering at a checkpoint? It's like a bank robber deciding to show the cops he means business by shooting one of the other robbers; except not quite, because some would still argue there's a net gain to that action.

As usual, as always, the GOP's immigration policy is not intended to accomplish anything. It's all a show, always.

Good morning! And Merry Christmas, too!

Here's a post from another thread, that explains my rationale that Pelosi has the upper hand in this (shutdown) matter:

Remember, Trump is threatening to shut-down the border completely, including to trade. This will tank the markets, kill corporate earnings, and decimate GDP. So it's obviously a hollow threat.

This is why an address from the Oval is warranted I think....Pelosi can fire off what ever she wants, that doesn't obligate the Senate to pass them, or the President to sign them....In effect she will be the equivalent of a petulant child throwing a tantrum not getting what she wants...Besides, we all know she won't have time for that anyway because she will be too busy trying to find a nugget to impeach over....NO BUSINESS will be done until they find that....Democrats don't care about the country, only "peaching" Trump....

I'll never understand how the same people that constantly warn of authoritarianism via the expansion of social programs so easily fall in line with the right wing authoritarianism in our government now. Pelosi has the advantage here. The house is the people's branch (mostly), and the American people don't support what Trump is trying to force through. Democracy is Trump's greatest enemy.
The bolded is the most salient point.

Even though Americans largely support DACA, they didn't support Schumer shutting-down the government over it. It's one thing to support an issue, it's another thing to support a shutdown over it. And with this issue, Trump is already behind on basic support for it, much less supporting shutting-down the government over it.

The general polling numbers are going to be atrocious for him. Trump may draw some content if he holds support within his base, but the GOP will freak.

i support holding the line on the derp wall no matter what the idiot does. after he's out of office and adults are in charge again, we need to look at every stupid thing that he has done and then remove the ability of the president to act unilaterally in those ways.

An absurd idea, of course. Just saw a quote in the NYTimes from Voltaire: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous."

This is why an address from the Oval is warranted I think....Pelosi can fire off what ever she wants, that doesn't obligate the Senate to pass them, or the President to sign them....In effect she will be the equivalent of a petulant child throwing a tantrum not getting what she wants...Besides, we all know she won't have time for that anyway because she will be too busy trying to find a nugget to impeach over....NO BUSINESS will be done until they find that....Democrats don't care about the country, only "peaching" Trump....
Ah, but the bolded is your opinion - which I can respect, but I think you're wrong.

I don't see the bolded at all. At least within the general public. I think Trump & the GOP will take the bulk of the general public wrath once Pelosi starts sending them CRs & other bills. We very much disagree here.

The proof will be within the polls.

Interesting. But a war with who? Mexico? Some other random country, to deflect from how he is circling the drain?

He'll declare war on Freedonia. (Cf. the Marx Brothers.)

The bolded is the most salient point.

Even though Americans largely support DACA, they didn't support Schumer shutting-down the government over it. It's one thing to support an issue, it's another thing to support a shutdown over it. And with this issue, Trump is already behind on basic support for it, much less supporting shutting-down the government over it.

The general polling numbers are going to be atrocious for him. Trump may draw some content if he holds support within his base, but the GOP will freak.

I think many have given up on polls....They are too subjective to the way questions are designed....Besides, we are at a point in this country where some unpopular things must be done, in the greater name of our nation surviving.

Oh please God, let Trump shut down the border! His own party will remove him from office.
If he shut-down trade, yes I believe they finally would move against him. Perhaps not with removal, but politically and legislatively.

As Pelosi starts sending CRs & bills, it's going to be the GOP take the most heat. They're actually pretty screwed here. And I think it couldn't happen to a finer bunch!

For what? He has the authority to do so.

An absurd idea, of course. Just saw a quote in the NYTimes from Voltaire: "Lord, make my enemies ridiculous."

You read some more Voltaire, and we will start doing the right thing....mmmmmk?

Back
Top Bottom