• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:315]Trump threatens to shut border 'entirely' unless Democrats fund wall

Re: Trump threatens to shut border 'entirely' unless Democrats fund wall

It's not insulting to his base, 90% who stand behind his efforts to obtain funding for border barriers, and other related expenses.
"Elections have consequences."

Though I'm not happy about the shutdown and I doubt many others are either, the ball is in the Democrat's corner.
It's insulting that the obstructionist Democrats are digging their heals in over a very minuscule amount for the border compared to the other proposed expenditures. That's what is insulting...
What it also shows to me is that the Democrats are all smoke when it comes to getting DACA. IF they want something for their base, they have to give something back. The Democrats need to negotiate....
I stand behind Trump not giving into the Democrat's temper tantrum. People didn't send these legislators to congress to play politics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/us/politics/government-shutdown-wall.html
Yes. But despite the election his base is a minority, and this was exemplified by the House elections. This is the problem, and I'd argue the latter election more accurately reflects the current mood of the country.

You do have to admit that "Team Trump" is doing all it can do to assist the government employees who aren't getting paid.

I mean they sent eMails out in which they provided those employees with sample letters to send to their creditors explaining why they couldn't make their payments and asking the creditors not to put them into default on their mortgages, utility bills, credit card accounts, and the like.
Such benevolence!

Indeed. Where is Peter Sellers when we need him? If he were alive, forget Pence. Getting rid of Trump, we could then ask Chauncy to take over. Sigh.
You got it!

I didn't know how many others would, but figured you might! :thumbs:

Merry Christmas!

What you have to remember is that the ACTUAL "war objective" of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick was to LOSE the war with the United States of America so that the "guilt stricken Americans" would pour truck fulls of money into their country.

Mr. Trump simply cannot afford to lose a war with Mexico because the Mexicans just might not want their independence back. Of course if the US absorbed Mexico that would completely solve the problems of "Mexican Illegals" in the United States of America - wouldn't it?
Another winner! :thumbs:

Damn, we've got an aware thread here!

(unfortunately I've got to leave for now, while it's still rocking :()

Source: (The Guardian) Trump threatens to shut border 'entirely' unless Democrats fund wall

So here we go. It is my opinion that once Nancy Pelosi and the new House is installed come Jan 3, that she will be in the catbird's seat. Trump will increasingly feel the heat of inaction. In fact, it appears to me he's already flailing-around with Tweets like this, digging a deeper hole for himself, seemingly without an exit strategy.

Does he even have an exit strategy? We shall see.
They still can't get a spending bill through unless they can get enough votes to make it veto proof which is unlikely.

Yes. But despite the election his base is a minority, and this was exemplified by the House elections. This is the problem, and I'd argue the latter election more accurately reflects the current mood of the country.

I realize the above, and it makes me happy to note while most Americans do not approve of the shutdown, (count me in here), most Republicans want the money for the wall aka as iron slats/barrier. IF he gets the money I think you will see his numbers improve, and the mood of the country will improve.

Trump is like watching the movie "The Russian Are Coming".
Geez, another great old movie reference! :thumbs:

They still can't get a spending bill through unless they can get enough votes to make it veto proof which is unlikely.

The longer the Democrats dig in and refuse to play ball, the more the blame for the shutdown will shift toward the congressional Democrats from Trump. That's just common sense.

Obviously, there will be some form of compromise, even if only allowing a save of face.

Obviously, there will be some form of compromise, even if only allowing a save of face.

What kind of compromise do you foresee?

The longer the Democrats dig in and refuse to play ball, the more the blame for the shutdown will shift toward the congressional Democrats from Trump. That's just common sense.

There is a difference between "playing ball" and forfeiting. They've already made an offer. Now, it's the author of "The Art of the Deal" who needs to make a move.

And holding his breath until he gets his way is not a response.

This is why an address from the Oval is warranted I think....Pelosi can fire off what ever she wants, that doesn't obligate the Senate to pass them, or the President to sign them....In effect she will be the equivalent of a petulant child throwing a tantrum not getting what she wants...Besides, we all know she won't have time for that anyway because she will be too busy trying to find a nugget to impeach over....NO BUSINESS will be done until they find that....Democrats don't care about the country, only "peaching" Trump....

Why do you blame the Democrats for your Dear Leader doing diddly-squat when he held all the cards? Wait, wait 'till there's someone else to blame, that's the Republican 'strategy'. Buncha idiots. America elected a Democratic house for a reason.
Trump had his chance, the chance of a generation and he blew it. By the time he's done the Republican Party will be toast.

Only among hard-core Repubs. The rest of America has had it up to here with that buffoon. It's going to be a very long time before the country puts that kind of power in Republican hands again.
America elected a Democratic house for a reason.

Trump realizes his base is dug in on the wall too. He knows this is a 2020 issue. Its time for an Oval office talk. He needs to lay out the reasons we need a wall and he needs to buy advertising space on either side of the talk and run adds with pass videos of Obama Nancy and Chuck calling for border security and barriers. Trump should give out Chucks office number and tell the American people to give him a call. Trump should point out he is just asking for 0.125% of the national budget. He should also lay out a plan to recover the funds from Mexico by taxing remittances.

There is a difference between "playing ball" and forfeiting. They've already made an offer. Now, it's the author of "The Art of the Deal" who needs to make a move.

And holding his breath until he gets his way is not a response.

Refusing to fund Trump's "immoral, ineffective and expensive wall" is not an offer so I completely disagree with you.
The ball is in the Democrat's corner and the blame will shift.... you just wait and see.

Democrats are ignoring an offer for border wall funding below Trump’s original $5 billion request. Fact.

Trump realizes his base is dug in on the wall too. He knows this is a 2020 issue. Its time for an Oval office talk. He needs to lay out the reasons we need a wall and he needs to buy advertising space on either side of the talk and run adds with pass videos of Obama Nancy and Chuck calling for border security and barriers. Trump should give out Chucks office number and tell the American people to give him a call. Trump should point out he is just asking for 0.125% of the national budget. He should also lay out a plan to recover the funds from Mexico by taxing remittances.

This will all backfire on the Democrats... Trump is the only one who has done negotiating.
Democrats are ignoring an offer for border wall funding below Trump’s original $5 billion request.

He ought to go on national TV and lay it all out.

His base has always been a minority - recall he lost the popular vote by ~10 million (including third-party). He's president only by virtue of the antiquated electoral college.

You got it!

I didn't know how many others would, but figured you might! :thumbs:

Merry Christmas!

Back at you, and Happy New Year.

Btw, fave Sellers moment as Inspector C was him citing an organ grinder outside of a bank for not having a “lissance for his munkey,” while robbers were running in and out of the bank.

Or maybe, anyone remember this one?

Actually, this one is more analogous:

220px-Canadian_Bacon_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

President Alan Alda, low in the polls, deflects by declaring war on Canada. :lamo

Only among hard-core Repubs. The rest of America has had it up to here with that buffoon. It's going to be a very long time before the country puts that kind of power in Republican hands again.
A few months back the Democrats offered to pay 25 Billion for the wall but now they say 5 billion is too expensive and the wall is immoral. What is immoral is attracting fathers to bring young children with them to illegally cross our borders because they know kids will enhance their chances of staying in the United States.

A majority of Republicans support the wall AND the shutdown.
They're not as you say, "hard-core,"... whatever the hell that means.
Poll: Republicans overwhelmingly support Trump in shutdown

A huge majority of the Republican Party supports President Trump's handling of the partial government shutdown, according to a Huffington Post/YouGov poll released Thursday.

The poll reveals some deep divisions between Republican and Democratic voters.

A total of 84 percent of Republicans — 64 percent of whom strongly approve and 20 percent who somewhat approve — support Trump's refusal to accept a funding bill that does not include more than $5 billion for enhancing security operations at the U.S.-Mexico border.

What kind of compromise do you foresee?

In keeping with the tenor of our government over the past few decades, they'll fund a complete wall five feet high.

His base has always been a minority - recall he lost the popular vote by ~10 million (including third-party). He's president only by virtue of the antiquated electoral college.

You're splitting hairs. It does not matter that he lost the popular vote, he's still the president by the ONLY way we've been doing it since the founders said this is the way we are gonna' do it.

Btw... back to the topic.
"GOP voters indicated support their party's president: 84 percent"

Republicans overwhelmingly support Trump in shutdown

In keeping with the tenor of our government over the past few decades, they'll fund a complete wall five feet high.

:lamo Yep, I remember when these Democratic charlatans were for the wall once upon a time before they all suddenly became against it.

I also want to know why they were willing to fund his "immoral, expensive and ineffective" wall before but are giving nothing now...
Schizophrenia?

Or dirty democrat's politics as usual?

Source: (The Guardian) Trump threatens to shut border 'entirely' unless Democrats fund wall

So here we go. It is my opinion that once Nancy Pelosi and the new House is installed come Jan 3, that she will be in the catbird's seat. Trump will increasingly feel the heat of inaction. In fact, it appears to me he's already flailing-around with Tweets like this, digging a deeper hole for himself, seemingly without an exit strategy.

Does he even have an exit strategy? We shall see.

The funny part is how Trump is pretty much the only one left in DC jumping up and down flailing his arms over this. Everyone else, Republican and Democrat lawmakers alike, have said; "Screw this!" It's not worth sticking around through the holiday recess just because this idiot wants to throw a hissy fit over his goddamn wall.

Back
Top Bottom