• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:312]Bill Barr Twisted My Words in Dropping the Flynn Case. Here's the Truth.

Master Debator

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Bill Barr Twisted My Words in Dropping the Flynn Case. Here’s the Truth.

At the direction of Attorney General Bill Barr, the Justice Department last week moved to dismiss a false-statements charge against Michael Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser. The reason*statedwas that the continued prosecution “would not serve the interests of justice.”

The motion was signed by Timothy Shea, a longtime trusted adviser of Mr. Barr and, since January, the acting U.S. attorney in Washington. In attempting to support its argument, the motion cites more than 25 times the F.B.I.’s report of an interview with me in July 2017, two months after I left a decades-long career at the department (under administrations of both parties) that culminated in my role as the acting assistant attorney general for national security.

That report, commonly referred to as a “302,” is an interesting read. It vividly describes disagreements between leadership of the Justice Department and the F.B.I. about how to handle the information we had learned about Mr. Flynn’s calls with the Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak and, more specifically, Mr. Flynn’s apparent lies about those calls to incoming Vice President Mike Pence.

But the report of my interview is no support for Mr. Barr’s dismissal of the Flynn case. It does not suggest that the F.B.I. had no counterintelligence reason for investigating Mr. Flynn. It does not suggest that the F.B.I.’s interview of Mr. Flynn — which led to the false-statements charge — was unlawful or unjustified. It does not support that Mr. Flynn’s false statements were not material. And it does not support the Justice Department’s assertion that the continued prosecution of the case against Mr. Flynn, who pleaded guilty to knowingly making material false statements to the FBI, “would not serve the interests of justice.”

This op-ed by a former DOJ official is pretty straight forward. Almost all but confirms everything I've been saying for the past week. Barr and the Republicans have been cherry picking statements here and there because their base is too stupid to question context and too lazy to bother reading anything for themselves. Will this change anything? I guess that depends on what judge Sullivan does. I'm not expecting much but he might surprise us. The one thing that is certain is that Barr has got nothing. No case. No indictments coming. He got Trump's boy off and that was all that mattered.

Last edited:
it's the most corrupt administration ever. there's really nothing else to say about it other than deflections, logical fallacies, and alternate realities. if someone wants to waste time on that, good luck.

That article is behind a pay wall, this one from the Hill has a little more.

"The account of my interview in 2017 doesn't help the department support this conclusion, and it is disingenuous for the department to twist my words to suggest that it does," McCord wrote.

"What the account of my interview describes is a difference of opinion about what to do with the information that Mr. Flynn apparently had lied to the incoming vice president, Mr. Pence, and others in the incoming administration about whether he had discussed the Obama administration's sanctions against Russia in his calls with" then-Russian Ambassador to the U.S. Sergey Kislyak, McCord continued.

McCord explained that she believed the FBI mishandled the Flynn investigation by not coordinating his interview with the Justice Department but said she did not believe the agencies had no reason to suspect Flynn of possible criminal activity.

"It has no bearing on whether Mr. Flynn's lies to the F.B.I. were material to the clear counterintelligence threat posed by the susceptible position Mr. Flynn put himself in when he told Mr. Pence and others in the new administration that he had not discussed the sanctions with Mr. Kislyak. The materiality is obvious," she concluded.

Republicans managed to turn government into the corrupt entity they always believed it to be.

This is nothing more than, Flynn and trump are corrupt, trump supports the crimes of Flynn and preventing our Justice Department from enforcing the law (remember also his asking James Comey to ignore Flynn's crimes before firing him when he refused), and trump getting a stooge to be AG who will violate the law as he wants. That's all there is to the story.

This op-ed by a former DOJ official is pretty straight forward. Almost all but confirms everything I've been saying for the past week. Barr and the Republicans have been cherry picking statements here and there because their base is too stupid to question context and too lazy to bother reading anything for themselves. Will this change anything? I guess that depends on what judge Sullivan does. I'm not expecting much but he might surprise us. The one thing that is certain is that Barr has got nothing. No case. No indictments coming. He got Trump's boy off and that was all that mattered.

I have a question for you... Can you cite a legitimate investigative reason for why the FBI would ask a question of someone, when they knew with absolute certainty, exactly what the answer to that question was prior to asking it?

Wrong.

McCord, I bet has an interesting background, vaguely I recall snippets.

I know. Of course I was right, as you were wrong. As stated.

If you would like to not be read again wasting my time, let me know or continue as you are.

If you would like to not be read again wasting my time, let me know or continue as you are.

You were and continue to be wrong. Get over it.

Republicans managed to turn government into the corrupt entity they always believed it to be.

So please explain why the Trump Collusion investigation turned up nothing on Trump or anyone else in his circle colluding with Russian? Oh yeah, even Mueller said that there was no evidence of collusion with Trump and Russia. Of course you don't equate one lie by the government partisans with another lie like the FBI does, why not. Once a liar always a lliar?

So, you got nothing but insults and a dicey opinion? I notice she doesn't mention that the original 302 was heavily edited by Strzok and Page. Or that the original agent returned to the office saying Flynn was being honest. She's entitled to an opinion.

Last edited:
This is a friggin opinion piece at the NY Times. This does not mention the U.S. atty that Barr appointed to go over the entire Flynn case that was outside the beltway. Oh no. It was that attorney who spent several years in the FBI that concluded that Flynn should not have been charged. It was that U.S. atty that found the wrongdoing in the FBI in regard to Flynn.

This opinion piece at the NY Slime the same paper that published all of Comey's Op Eds...

What is going on right now is to trash Barr. Well he has justice on his side, justice exposes the truth and there seems to be a lot of people that are really afraid of that. To bad so sad...for you.

This is a friggin opinion piece at the NY Times. This does not mention the U.S. atty that Barr appointed to go over the entire Flynn case that was outside the beltway. Oh no. It was that attorney who spent several years in the FBI that concluded that Flynn should not have been charged. It was that U.S. atty that found the wrongdoing in the FBI in regard to Flynn.

This opinion piece at the NY Slime the same paper that published all of Comey's Op Eds...

What is going on right now is to trash Barr. Well he has justice on his side, justice exposes the truth and there seems to be a lot of people that are really afraid of that. To bad so sad...for you.

The Democult, is reacting as expected; they lost another case against Trump, wailing, crying, gnashing of teeth and hair being torn out by the roots. Just like kindergarteners every time some happens they don't like it's "not fair" :cry::cry:

So please explain why the Trump Collusion investigation turned up nothing on Trump or anyone else in his circle colluding with Russian? Oh yeah, even Mueller said that there was no evidence of collusion with Trump and Russia. Of course you don't equate one lie by the government partisans with another lie like the FBI does, why not. Once a liar always a lliar?

Nothing you said is true, but that's par for the course.

Alas, Ms. McCord spends way to much energy in denial of a pro Flynn position that Shea and Barr never ascribed to her, while trying to make sure that no one thinks she is remotely on Trump's-Flynn's side.

The psychology is quite typical of those loyal to groups; a willingness to criticize WITHIN the group BUT a fierce defense of the group from outsiders who might be saying similar things. In this instance Barr and Shea being the outsiders criticizing her people.

I read both the brief and much of the exhibits. I didn't see anything in those exhibits (official communications and reports) that contradict the brief. Nor did I see anything that misrepresented her opinions, which never did include whether or not she thought Flynn lied and/or should be prosecuted.

Clearly this is a person very worried about being mistaken for being on "the other team", and wants to make sure her "reputation" is sullied within overwhelmingly liberal legal profession.

Sad...but true.

~ This woman is irrelevant. The FBI violated General Flynn's Constitutional Rights.
End of tape .

I have a question for you... Can you cite a legitimate investigative reason for why the FBI would ask a question of someone, when they knew with absolute certainty, exactly what the answer to that question was prior to asking it?

What question did they know the answer to? They were in the middle of Russian counter intelligence investigation and here is the incoming NSA lying to the VP about his contact with a Russian ambassador. The question that was most pertinent to them isn't if he lied. They already knew he did. The question they really wanted answered is why he lied. There apparently seemed to be some disagreement between the DOJ and FBI on how to go about getting an answer to that, the FBI ultimately decided to see if he'd also lie to them and use the leverage of that to flip Flynn, which is exactly what ended up happening.

So, you got nothing but insults and a dicey opinion? I notice she doesn't mention that the original 302 was heavily edited by Strzok and Page. Or that the original agent returned to the office saying Flynn was being honest. She's entitled to an opinion.

The original agent did not say that. The original agent was Peter Stzok who's notes before the interview make clear one of the goals was to see if Flynn would lie to them. Again, the white wingers in Congress and the media have cherry picked Strzoks notes about Flynn's body language during the interview. That's the whole conspiracy about the 302, which none of you apparently understand.

Walk me through it. Peter Strzok and the FBI discuss getting Flynn to lie before the interview. Then during the interview even though they already know Flynn lied and their goal coming in was to see if he'd lie, all of a sudden Peter Strzok believes Flynn, writes that in his notes, sends those notes to his superiors, then at some point after decides no, I'm going to change my 302 to say the exact opposite? That makes no kind of sense. Your conspiracy makes no sense once you figure out the people who made notes about getting Flynn to lie are the same people who apparently said he didn't lie in the interview they set up to get him to lie. That's as convoluted as they come, even for a conspiracy.

This is a friggin opinion piece at the NY Times.

Its an opinion written by one of the DOJ officials who was on the Flynn case, but why the hell would that be relevant to a white winger?

:shrug:

What question did they know the answer to?

What Flynn and the ambassador discussed.

They were in the middle of Russian counter intelligence investigation

We now know that the FBI had basically closed off its examination into Flynn as part of its overall investigation.
All clear.
We also now know that the Obama guys in the DOJ and DNi never saw evidence to suggest there was actually a conspiracy.
So what did the FBI know that the other guys did not?

and here is the incoming NSA lying to the VP about his contact with a Russian ambassador.

Or Pence misunderstood what Flynn told him.
Or Pence himself lying to the media.
Instead, they went right for Flynn.

The question that was most pertinent to them isn't if he lied. They already knew he did. The question they really wanted answered is why he lied

As above, they assumed he was lying. As Barr pointed, they could have asked Pence.

There apparently seemed to be some disagreement between the DOJ and FBI on how to go about getting an answer to that, the FBI ultimately decided to see if he'd also lie to them and use the leverage of that to flip Flynn, which is exactly what ended up happening.

The disagreement seems to have been that the the DOJ had no idea what the FBI was doing with respect to Flynn.
But as per Yates, Obama did.

Its an opinion written by one of the DOJ officials who was on the Flynn case, but why the hell would that be relevant to a white winger?

Her opinion rests upon the claim that Flynn would be subject to blackmail from Russia.
It is laughable since the USA already knew what was said.
Blackmail only works when there is a secret and there was no secret here.

This op-ed by a former DOJ official

Cool story. Too bad it's nothing but an opinion piece from the same NYT that has more retractions than any other in the industry.

I'm going to spell it out for you since you obviously only have a one track mind on this.

It is not the job of federal prosecutors to try to prosecute everyone who may be lying about something. If that were the standard, the FBI would have its hands full just in Washington, D.C., policing our elected politicians. Instead, the FBI should only charge witnesses for lying when it is material to the investigation of some other crime. The released note of an FBI official preparing for the Flynn interview asked if agents should get him to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired. There is no mention of investigating any true substantive crime.

Comey and his aides simply believed that Trump was unfit for office and were determined to use underhanded investigatory methods to oppose him. They hoped they could use Flynn to cooperate in incriminating others in the Trump campaign.

The FBI’s wrongdoing is also strongly supported by the highly suspect means it used to conduct the interview. The agents began the interview under the fiction that they were meeting with Flynn to discuss a business matter in his role as national security adviser, on his first day on the job, which would have been normal. But the FBI did not notify White House counsel to be present, as required by White House-DOJ rules, and bureau lawyer Lisa Page advised slipping in warnings for the witness rights unobtrusively. And Flynn did not ask for any counsel.

Comey later boasted that he could never have gotten away with this in a more organized administration.

Why did the FBI engage in such lengths? Even after all these shenanigans, the FBI agents concluded that Flynn had not lied. The bureau's leadership revealed their true intentions when they decided to keep the probe open and ultimately handed it over to Mueller’s investigation. Flynn just became a pawn in the broader effort by Comey and Mueller to investigate the claim that Trump had conspired against Russia.

An FBI subfile was created on Flynn, not because of any allegations against him, but because of the general’s known contacts with Russia. Such contacts would hardly be surprising for a former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency who was a Trump adviser rumored to be Trump’s choice for national security adviser if he won the election. The subfile investigation of Flynn was known as Crossfire Razor.

The documents made public last week show that Flynn had already been completely cleared in the Crossfire Razor investigation by Jan. 4, 2017. A draft closing communication was prepared on that date by the Crossfire Razor team, but the decision to close the file had been made well before then. Later that same day Peter Strzok was surprised to discover that the file was still open. Strzok texted Page that our utter incompetence actually helps us.

Strzok ordered that Razor be kept open. It was kept open under the guise of investigating Flynn for a possible Logan Act violation. In short, there was no law enforcement purpose for the Flynn interview. The purpose of the interview was to have Flynn lie and get him fired, which is reflected in notes taken by Bill Priestap, then-director of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division and Strzok’s boss.

Somebody then illegally leaked the classified Flynn-Kislyak phone call transcripts to the Washington Post’s David Ignatius, suggesting to Ignatius that Flynn may have violated the Logan Act by discussing sanctions with the Russian ambassador.

McCabe told Flynn that the quickest way to get this done was to have a conversation between him and the agents only. Comey later admitted that he wanted to catch Flynn off guard in the relaxed unorganized atmosphere of a days-old Trump administration. And that’s what happened.

The officials who interviewed Flynn were none other than Strzok and Supervisory Special Agent Joe Pientka. They reported that Flynn treated them as colleagues and did not act in any way like he was lying about the Kislyak conversations. In other words, he may well have forgotten that he discussed the sanctions with Kislyak.

The documents released last week prove beyond any doubt that Flynn was set up in a perjury trap.

A perjury trap occurs when the facts are known to prosecutors and investigators and the only purpose of the interview is to catch the subject in a lie. This was a false statement trap since Flynn was not under oath, but the principle is the same. In fact, this was worse than the classic perjury trap, because in a perjury trap a legitimate investigation is underway. That was not the case here.

Cool story. Too bad it's nothing but an opinion piece from the same NYT that has more retractions than any other in the industry.

Yes, I know. The opinion of someone from the DOJ who actually worked on the case is irrelevant to white wingers.

Condor060 said:
It is not the job of federal prosecutors to try to prosecute everyone who may be lying about something.

But, the opinion of random internet guys on what the FBIs job is, is more relevant than the determination of the actual FBI.

The arrogance of white wingers born out never knowing anything thus never knowing when they are wrong

Condor060 said:
The released note of an FBI official preparing for the Flynn interview asked if agents should get him to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired. There is no mention of investigating any true substantive crime.

The Flynn investigation was all tied to their Russian counter intelligence investigation. If you can't see how Flynn lying to the VP about conversations with a Russian ambassador is relevant to that investigation, I can't really help you. Possibly no one can.

Condor060 said:
The FBI’s wrongdoing is also strongly supported by the highly suspect means it used to conduct the interview. The agents began the interview under the fiction that they were meeting with Flynn to discuss a business matter in his role as national security adviser

They aren't required to remind you of your rights unless you're being forcibly detained, i.e. arrested. And deception with suspects isn't illegal, it's standard police work.

Condor060 said:

Comey later boasted that he could never have gotten away with this in a more organized administration.

Yes, thank God the administration is a clown show and doesn't know what it's doing. At least in regard to covering up corruption. In the case of this pandemic their ineptitude has been devastating.

Condor060 said:
The documents made public last week show that Flynn had already been completely cleared in the Crossfire Razor investigation by Jan. 4, 2017.

Until he went and lied to the VP and re-sparked interest in his involvement.

Condor060 said:
Strzok ordered that Razor be kept open. It was kept open under the guise of investigating Flynn for a possible Logan Act violation. In short, there was no law enforcement purpose for the Flynn interview. The purpose of the interview was to have Flynn lie and get him fired, which is reflected in notes taken by Bill Priestap, then-director of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division and Strzok’s boss.

So why then in your last post did you say the original agents thought Flynn was being truthful? The agents you're talking about here are the same agents who said Flynn didn't appear to give any outward signs of deception. You guys don't even know the full details of your own conspiracy.

Condor060 said:
The officials who interviewed Flynn were none other than Strzok and Supervisory Special Agent Joe Pientka. They reported that Flynn treated them as colleagues and did not act in any way like he was lying about the Kislyak conversations. In other words, he may well have forgotten that he discussed the sanctions with Kislyak.

So he did make untruthful statements to FBI but only because he tripped and hit his head and forgot. I see.

Condor060 said:
The documents released last week prove beyond any doubt that Flynn was set up in a perjury trap.

Even after two weeks you continue to not know what that it. :lamo

Condor060 said:
A perjury trap occurs when the facts are known to prosecutors and investigators and the only purpose of the interview is to catch the subject in a lie. This was a false statement trap since Flynn was not under oath, but the principle is the same. In fact, this was worse than the classic perjury trap, because in a perjury trap a legitimate investigation is underway. That was not the case here.

You stridently displaying your ignorance of the law never stops being funny. I imagine you putting your fists on your hips and puffing your chest out when you're finished for maximum comedic effect.

:lamo

Back
Top Bottom