• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:296] Trump lies to US troops about pay increases during visit to Iraq military base

Sgt Meowenstein

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
[FONT=&quot]This guy is a true pathological liar. He just can’t help himself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...q-troops-visit-al-asad-air-base-a8701101.html

President Donald Trump has falsely claimed to troops that he gave them their first pay rise in more than 10 years – and greatly exaggerated the size of the increase.

Mr Trump made the statement to troops in Iraq on Wednesday after arriving late on Christmas Day.

“You protect us, we are always going to protect you,” Mr Trump said during his visit to Al Asad airbase. “And you just saw that, ’cause you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received. You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.”

Military pay has increased each year for more than three decades, with a 2.4 per cent increase in 2018. The 2019 National Defence Authorisation Act brought a 2.6 per cent increase. That most recent raise is the largest in the last nine years.[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Shameless: Trump lies to troops about pay raises

He is a low life piece of crap.

Trump sees a crowd and goes into ”Rally Mode!”

I’m surprised he didn’t slip up with “lock her up” or “who’s gonna pay for the wall” chants......

The amazing thing to me is those are the people most aware, without checking, that he is flat out lying.

The basic pay raises since 2007:

1 January 2007: 2.2%
1 April 2007: 0.5%
1 January 2008: 3.5%
1 January 2009: 3.9%
1 January 2010: 3.4%
1 January 2011: 1.4%
1 January 2012: 1.6%
1 January 2013: 1.7%
1 January 2014: 1.0%
1 January 2015: 1.0%
1 January 2016: 1.3%
1 January 2017: 2.1%
1 January 2018: 2.4%

Link: https://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Basic-Pay/AnnualPayRaise/

[FONT="]This guy is a true pathological liar. He just can’t help himself.

[URL="http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-military-pay-raise-increase-iraq-troops-visit-al-asad-air-base-a8701101.html%3Famp"]Trump lied to troops about pay increase during Iraq visit[/URL]

President Donald Trump has falsely claimed to troops that he gave them their first pay rise in more than 10 years – and greatly exaggerated the size of the increase.

Mr Trump made the statement to troops in Iraq on Wednesday after arriving late on Christmas Day.

“You protect us, we are always going to protect you,” Mr Trump said during his visit to Al Asad airbase. “And you just saw that, ’cause you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received. You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.”

Military pay has increased each year for more than three decades, with a 2.4 per cent increase in 2018. The 2019 National Defence Authorisation Act brought a 2.6 per cent increase. That most recent raise is the largest in the last nine years.[/FONT]

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-b...iggest-in-eight-years-but-how-generous-is-it/

Who knew 10% is equal to 2.6%.

He really needs to pay attention to briefings and get his information straight otherwise he looks like a fool.

The amazing thing to me is those are the people most aware, without checking, that he is flat out lying.

Which is why I think Trump actually believed what he was saying. I think he is functionally delusional.

True enough yet it's much worse than that.

Proof that hell has no furry like a repub scorned. Florida: The slow pace of counting mail-in votes, particularly in urban (and blue-leaning)

counties such as Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade, has led Scott to claim on Fox News against the opinion of Florida’s

top law enforcement agency that “Sen. Nelson is trying to commit fraud to win this election.”

What evidence does Scott have? None !!

Oh ok, other than that the offending South Florida counties “came up with 93,000 votes after election night. We still don’t know how they came up with that.”

Because of course they don't want you to know.

Since Election Day last week, R-Rep. McCarthy and R-sen. Cornyn have tweeted at least 21 messages of support for veterans

but said nothing about the importance of counting their overseas ballots. Cornyn has instead retweeted a Republican chorus

of voices alleging “fraud” and the counting of “illegal” ballots in Florida.

Now we get this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...ts-happy-veterans-day/?utm_term=.4ff6c7d31a9b

Trump: 'forget those 93,000 votes Florida.' Florida has among the highest military votes, I wonder if trump was reminded

of this...while in Iraq
?

Who knew 10% is equal to 2.6%.

He really needs to pay attention to briefings and get his information straight otherwise he looks like a fool.

About 2 years too late to avoid that.

[FONT="]This guy is a true pathological liar. He just can’t help himself.

[URL="http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-military-pay-raise-increase-iraq-troops-visit-al-asad-air-base-a8701101.html%3Famp"]Trump lied to troops about pay increase during Iraq visit[/URL]

Here's the actual history of military pay raises Several years with "raises" barely keeping up with inflation, if that. So, does a "raise" mean an increase in wage to keep up with inflation or getting more pay in inflation adjusted terms. Many folks on the left, or at least those on the LOONY LEFT, whine that wages have stagnated even though BLS tells us average wage has consistently grown by 2-3%.
Trump may have confused his facts but calling him a liar is just a tad of exaggeration.

Which is why I think Trump actually believed what he was saying. I think he is functionally delusional.

That doesn’t comfort me......

Lies, lies, everywhere Trump lies
Walking through the White House coming up with lies
Say this, say that... can't you see the lies!?

(Okay, fair warning... I've had something like 8-9 cups of coffee today and probably have shaved a good year or so off of my life force.)

Here's the actual history of military pay raises Several years with "raises" barely keeping up with inflation, if that. So, does a "raise" mean an increase in wage to keep up with inflation or getting more pay in inflation adjusted terms. Many folks on the left, or at least those on the LOONY LEFT, whine that wages have stagnated even though BLS tells us average wage has consistently grown by 2-3%.
Trump may have confused his facts but calling him a liar is just a tad of exaggeration.

Confused his facts? He flat-out lied, to people who knew for a fact that he was lying.
There's something seriously wrong with that man. Seriously wrong. Do you know any other adult who'd do that? Tell those military that they hadn't had a raise in ten years before he got them one? That's seriously f***ed-up.

Is that the new excuse for the neverending stream of lies that spews forth from Trump’s ignorant facehole? He’s “confusing his facts”? :lamo

Man, Cult 45 is some strong stuff.

Why should they trust the judgement of their Commander-in-Chief if he sends them into harm's way if he lies about something so easily fact-checked as a raise in pay? Seems to me has broken a sacred trust with his military.

Why should they trust the judgement of their Commander-in-Chief if he sends them into harm's way if he lies about something so easily fact-checked as a raise in pay? Seems to me has broken a sacred trust with his military.
Take a look at the link I provided about the amount of those "raises"; several amounted to less the $30 a month for an E-5 - barely keeping up with inflation, if THAT. If you get your rocks off nitpicking every word Trump says, more power to you.

The basic pay raises since 2007:

1 January 2007: 2.2%
1 April 2007: 0.5%
1 January 2008: 3.5%
1 January 2009: 3.9%
1 January 2010: 3.4%
1 January 2011: 1.4%
1 January 2012: 1.6%
1 January 2013: 1.7%
1 January 2014: 1.0%
1 January 2015: 1.0%
1 January 2016: 1.3%
1 January 2017: 2.1%
1 January 2018: 2.4%

Link: https://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Basic-Pay/AnnualPayRaise/
So, it's been nine years since they got a raise BIGGER then the 2.6% Trump is giving them. And last year's was the SECOND HIGHEST in those nine years. But Trump lies! :twisted:

Take a look at the link I provided about the amount of those "raises"; several amounted to less the $30 a month for an E-5 - barely keeping up with inflation, if THAT. If you get your rocks off nitpicking every word Trump says, more power to you.

Oh, I know. And he failed to mention to his troops that their fellow military members in the Coast Guard are defending our coasts for NO PAY.

Military pay is based on ECI(Employment Cost Index). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_cost_index Congress can override that, but rarely does. In this case, they did override it. However, it is important to note that the pay raise Trump proposed was the one based on ECI, and would have resulted in a smaller pay raise(~25 % less). So not only is Trump claiming something that is not true, but he is also taking credit for something he opposed.

And I personally think the military should get a very large payraise(close to the 10 % Trump claimed, and then base future raises on cost of living changes instead of ECI. This helps give them a pay rate that is closer to what they should be paid, and future pay raises keep them from falling behind the inflation curve. Note, pay raises are still pay raises when inflation is higher, no matter how you might like to spin it. Those pay raises below cost of living increases result in lower spending power, but are still raises. Words and phrases do have meaning.

So, it's been nine years since they got a raise BIGGER then the 2.6% Trump is giving them. And last year's was the SECOND HIGHEST in those nine years. But Trump lies! :twisted:

Trump did not give it to them, congress did. Trump proposed a significantly smaller raise.

Oh, I know. And he failed to mention to his troops that their fellow military members in the Coast Guard are defending our coasts for NO PAY.
Actually they got paid on the 22nd. Got anything else?

Yes, Trump lies, and definitely lied about this. Anything else?

Back
Top Bottom