• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#27]Putin is an evil madman

Amazingly, there are some on this very forum who will not willingly make that statement. They are called “Putin apologists”.
Do you actually believe the West doesn't have any evil madmen too?

Amazingly, there are some on this very forum who will not willingly make that statement. They are called “Putin apologists”.

I have no problem in stating that Putin is evil, watsup. There is no number of people Putin is not willing to kill to achieve his aims, whether at home or abroad. He has gone from being merely authoritarian to outright despotic in his rule. But I have yet to see any concrete evidence that he is insane. I think he committed a gross miscalculation in Ukraine, but one based on a history of successful gambles. Remember, he succeeded in Chechnya, Georgia, in annexing Crimea and aiding the Assad regime to pacify Syria. I think he honestly thought he had the capability of doing a lightning strike in the Ukraine, replacing their government with one friendly to the Kremlin and incorporating its burgeoning economy into the Russian sphere of influence, and thereafter present the world with a fait accompli. And I think he reasonably expected a timid reaction from the West, because that is all he received for the past decade-plus up until now; anemic sanctions and little else.

But he underestimated the resolve of the Ukrainians to fight, as well as their willingness to set aside their internal divisions to rally around their government riven with corruption allegations. He underestimated the capabilities of his own military to conduct a lightning war. He underestimated the response from the wider global community of free nations. But now that he has committed to his course of action, he cannot retreat without possibly destroying his regime. To quote Shakespeare's Macbeth: I am in blood / Stepped in so far, that, should I wade no more, / Returning were as tedious as go o'er.

They are such big fans of whataboutism so that they don’t have to actually condemn Putin.
Perfect example of how liberals process things. I never said I approved of Putin, I didn't congratulate him, and I am no fan of his. Putin is however doing EXACTLY what I would expect from a tyrant like him, so I am not surprised. He is a regional threat, and one with nuclear weapons, so we must always keep tyrants like him in a box if we can.

However what is more concerning to me, actually MORE frightening to me, are the so called western democracies with our own brand of TYRANTS like we see with Justin Trudeau of Canada, the overreaches on liberty in Australia, New Zealand, and part of Western Europe, and our own tyrants here in the USA. I expect Putin to be a tyrant; I don't expect our leaders to treat our citizens with the same disrespect in free countries as Putin and Xi treat their people.

I was listening to a local politician here in California yesterday suggesting that anyone who is not willing to show proof of vaccination should be arrested and put on permanent house detention. That they should not be allowed out in public. That to me is way more worrisome than Putin is to me. If Putin goes against the USA we will bury him in a matter of mintues. He is no threat to me, he is just an annoyance. One created by Biden's poor leadership.

I have no problem in stating that Putin is evil, watsup. There is no number of people Putin is not willing to kill to achieve his aims, whether at home or abroad. He has gone from being merely authoritarian to outright despotic in his rule. But I have yet to see any concrete evidence that he is insane. I think he committed a gross miscalculation in Ukraine, but one based on a history of successful gambles. Remember, he succeeded in Chechnya, Georgia, in annexing Crimea and aiding the Assad regime to pacify Syria. I think he honestly thought he had the capability of doing a lightning strike in the Ukraine, replacing their government with one friendly to the Kremlin and incorporating its burgeoning economy into the Russian sphere of influence, and thereafter present the world with a fait accompli. And I think he reasonably expected a timid reaction from the West, because that is all he received for the past decade-plus up until now; anemic sanctions and little else.

But he underestimated the resolve of the Ukrainians to fight, as well as their willingness to set aside their internal divisions to rally around their government riven with corruption allegations. He underestimated the capabilities of his own military to conduct a lightning war. He underestimated the response from the wider global community of free nations. But now that he has committed to his course of action, he cannot retreat without possibly destroying his regime. To quote Shakespeare's Macbeth: I am in blood / Stepped in so far, that, should I wade no more, / Returning were as tedious as to

Excellent analysis.

Perfect example of how liberals process things. I never said I approved of Putin, I didn't congratulate him, and I am no fan of his. Putin is however doing EXACTLY what I would expect from a tyrant like him, so I am not surprised. He is a regional threat, and one with nuclear weapons, so we must always keep tyrants like him in a box if we can.

However what is more concerning to me, actually MORE frightening to me, are the so called western democracies with our own brand of TYRANTS like we see with Justin Trudeau of Canada, the overreaches on liberty in Australia, New Zealand, and part of Western Europe, and our own tyrants here in the USA. I expect Putin to be a tyrant; I don't expect our leaders to treat our citizens with the same disrespect in free countries as Putin and Xi treat their people.
Now you're drawing some of the stupidest comparisons ever. "Our leaders" don't show the same "disrespect" as Putin and Xi. Putin for his part kills those who show disrespect. As does XI. They lock them up in prison for voicing their political views. The "overreaches" on liberty in the west were to control a pandemic and try to save people's live, to not KILL citizens. It's incredible you are equating those things.
I was listening to a local politician here in California yesterday suggesting that anyone who is not willing to show proof of vaccination should be arrested and put on permanent house detention. That they should not be allowed out in public. That to me is way more worrisome than Putin is to me. If Putin goes against the USA we will bury him in a matter of mintues. He is no threat to me, he is just an annoyance. One created by Biden's poor leadership.
Unnamed of course, no quotes, no source, and the person was "suggesting" something.

In summary, you're not attacking Putin; you're attacking posters. To put a finer point on it; you are using human atrocities to attack your political opponents.
Bad guy sez wut?

But it's tyranny which they approve of, they remain silent as human rights are just as trampled.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”​

― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

But he underestimated the resolve of the Ukrainians to fight, as well as their willingness to set aside their internal divisions to rally around their government riven with corruption allegations. He underestimated the capabilities of his own military to conduct a lightning war. He underestimated the response from the wider global community of free nations. But now that he has committed to his course of action, he cannot retreat without possibly destroying his regime.
All that you say is true. Insanity's elements involve unmanageable anger and extreme folly and I think both of those elements are entwined in what Putin is doing. His unquenchable thirst for a new empire and willingness to invoke nuclear warfare to attain it, if not a sign of extant insanity, is surely a sign of an unbalanced mind.

But it's tyranny which they approve of, they remain silent as human rights are just as trampled.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”​

― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)
What's the tyranny? Mask mandates? Vaccine mandates? We've had vaccine mandates for decades - you have to get a series of vaccines to enlist in the armed forces, for example. Does that make our armed forces "tyrannical" organizations? How about public schools, hospitals, colleges? Were they tyrannical in 2018 when they required vaccines, or did something change? If so what changed to make a common requirement of life in a society suddenly tyrannical?

^ This is what Russian propaganda looks like.

Notice how it's structured. It starts with a half-assed "Putin is a problem," which is a deliberate understatement, and then launches into an unhinged tyrade against democratic (lower-case D) leaders.

The person who wrote it is unwilling to make the simple statement that Putin is a very, very bad man.

In summary, you're not attacking Putin; you're attacking posters. To put a finer point on it; you are using human atrocities to attack your political opponents.
Bad guy sez wut?
Damn right. He's attacking an evil tyrant who decided to invade another country to take it for himself, and thousands of people have died. The fact that you're not only okay with that, but basically are defending it speaks volumes. So allow me to be yet another person attacking posters who support tyranny, invasion and murder for the sake of their own political agenda.

Congratulations, I guess.

Look! There's one now! ^^^

Still deflecting from Putin...

Amazing. This thread has been up for three hours and not a single right-winger has indicated agreement.

Damn right. He's attacking an evil tyrant who decided to invade another country to take it for himself, and thousands of people have died. The fact that you're not only okay with that, but basically are defending it speaks volumes. So allow me to be yet another person attacking posters who support tyranny, invasion and murder for the sake of their own political agenda.

Congratulations, I guess.
The fact is you don't know me and project so much venom and anger, waggling a virtue-signaling finger at someone who's given zero indication of supporting Putin.
Where were you as Biden sat idly by, filling his diaper, as Putin massed forces and prepared to invade Ukraine?
See, people like me were speaking up about Biden's feckless avoidance of the obvious, and STILL, he said TODAY, that he has no real evidence that Putin is committing war crimes.
So, allow me to point out posters like you, who deflect and accuse, all the while, enabling the deafening silence that's led to the bloodbath in Ukraine.
Congrats, I guess.

Amazing. This thread has been up for three hours and not a single right-winger has indicated agreement.
Ah, the "prove you're not guilty" paradigm. That's not old by now. At all.

The fact is you don't know me and project so much venom and anger, waggling a virtue-signaling finger at someone who's given zero indication of supporting Putin.
Where were you as Biden sat idly by, filling his diaper, as Putin massed forces and prepared to invade Ukraine?
See, people like me were speaking up about Biden's feckless avoidance of the obvious, and STILL, he said TODAY, that he has no real evidence that Putin is committing war crimes.
So, allow me to point out posters like you, who deflect and accuse, all the while, enabling the deafening silence that's led to the bloodbath in Ukraine.
Congrats, I guess.
None of which has anything to do with what I posted, or more importantly, the topic of this thread.

None of which has anything to do with what I posted, or more importantly, the topic of this thread.
It has everything to do with the topic of this post, which started with the default position that somehow, your political opponents don't care about Ukraine. Here...I'll save you the trouble of scrolling to the top.

I'm not an apologist. I'm appalled that my President sat around filling his diaper while Putin put thousands, then tens of thousands, then HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of troops on Ukraine's border and Biden refused-outright refused-to give even the most facile attempt to deter an attack.
Now, women and children are being slaughtered and he STILL refuses to call it what it is.

What's worse than being a "Putin apologist" is being a Biden apologist.

Back
Top Bottom