• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:254] What is a "living wage?"

Minimum 15 bucks for Alabama and equivalent sh-tholes, and at least 20 bucks for California, would be my opinion.

How could any American conservative refute what I said about a living wage for the poorest Haitian? If what he receives today keeps him alive until tomorrow then he must be receiving a 'living' wage. That would be true for Americans too wouldn't it?

And I have credentials, as you will notice:

You, as an American living in the country that has the most ability of any country in the world, what do you recommend for each individual state?

Don't be so generous so as to guarantee your fellow Americans to ensure they survive for more than a week!

That is what you and the left always does, gives opinion based upon your own personal opinions and lifestyle. Unlike you I understand personal responsibility and it is up to the people living in cities and states to determine what a livable wage is and if they don't like what they are earning then they have the freedom to move.

Couldn't care less about the quality of life in Canada as I don't live there nor do I pay for that quality of life. Your arrogance is on full display as you have no understanding as to cost of living in the various states in this country nor the reality that the people of those states determine what a livable wage is

That is what you and the left always does, gives opinion based upon your own personal opinions and lifestyle. Unlike you I understand personal responsibility and it is up to the people living in cities and states to determine what a livable wage is and if they don't like what they are earning then they have the freedom to move.

Couldn't care less about the quality of life in Canada as I don't live there nor do I pay for that quality of life. Your arrogance is on full display as you have no understanding as to cost of living in the various states in this country nor the reality that the people of those states determine what a livable wage is
You've convinced me that America's minimum wage should remain at $7.25 an hour. Further progress for America could be possible if working people under the age of 19 were paid less. Perhaps $5 an hour would be fair?

I just thought that all conservatives would care about how their country stacks up in comparison. Instead, you've proven you don't and so we have nothing more to talk about I guess?

You've convinced me that America's minimum wage should remain at $7.25 an hour. Further progress for America could be possible if working people under the age of 19 were paid less. Perhaps $5 an hour would be fair?

I just thought that all conservatives would care about how their country stacks up in comparison. Instead, you've proven you don't and so we have nothing more to talk about I guess?

It isn't up to me or you to determine what the minimum wage should be, it should first be up to the business as no one forces anyone to take a job. People like you have no understanding as to the investment most business owners have in their business. where did you develop this attitude, parents? What gives you the right to tell someone else with their investment what to pay you for your services. You choose to apply for a job and accept the wages offered or find another job

It isn't up to me or you to determine what the minimum wage should be, it should first be up to the business as no one forces anyone to take a job. People like you have no understanding as to the investment most business owners have in their business. where did you develop this attitude, parents? What gives you the right to tell someone else with their investment what to pay you for your services. You choose to apply for a job and accept the wages offered or find another job
I'm finished with your rude manners. Do as you please.

• A good job market
  • Affordability
  • Economic stability
  • Family friendly
  • Income equality
  • Politically stable
  • Safety
  • Well-developed public health system
  • Well-developed public education system
The parameters used to decide a country's quality of life, taken from the link.
It's not my business so you can just stop trying to make it my business.

• A good job market
  • Affordability
  • Economic stability
  • Family friendly
  • Income equality
  • Politically stable
  • Safety

Do as I please?? I don't own a business, you don't own a business for if you did would you want someone else to tell you what to pay your employees? What is wrong with people like you who treat others differently than you treat yourself. My rude manners? you have no business telling a private business owner what to pay their workers and in this country the federal gov't has no business doing it either as the states and cities are closest to the issue and can do exactly that. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

• A good job market
  • Affordability
  • Economic stability
  • Family friendly
  • Income equality
  • Politically stable
  • Safety

Why is it people like you cannot explain why this is a federal responsibility to set a minimum wage when states and cities in this country can and have done that?

Not at all. If your theory is that it is white nationalist plot to keep POCs down, if the overwhelming majority of the people hurt by this plot ware white, they are not collateral damage.
Ironically, the Minimum Wage was a white supremacist plot to keep POCs down

:( Why do you hate poor people? Fight For Fifty! :D

So you believe the federal gov't should force states that already have the authority to set their minimum wage to raise their minimum wage? Why? What is it the federal bureaucrats know that the states don't and don't states have term limits where they can change leadership easily?

So you believe the federal gov't should force states that already have the authority to set their minimum wage to raise their minimum wage?

......🤦‍♂️

Let’s just all learn to live on our Yang cash, doing occasional chores for some extra cash. ;)
Brilliant. We will all just live on free money forever!

Typical - doesn't fit your agenda so just ignore it. You into the savior complex thing where you get to toss pennies at the peasants as you ride through their slums? Feeds your air of superiority?
So when was the last time you worked for MW and what was the circumstances

None of the shit you posted has anything to do with trying to live off of 7.25 an hour. It is impossible to do so.

Wrong. It's impossible for you to do so where you are located.

Where I live, people live off $7.25/hour just fine.

Your own government says people can make it on $6.91/hour.

LOL. Are you making this shit up as you go along?

No, that's what conservatives always do. "I did this and I turned out to be successful! Everyone else should be successful! If they aren't, they're just lazy and dumb!!"

There are zero states in which minimum wage can feed and house yourself.

Perhaps the U.S. should create a single ICE detention center on the border with Canada, with walls on the East, West and South only?
The real question is "What's a living income?", depending on an individuals abilities it might require more than one wage income to provide what is needed.

• A good job market
  • Affordability
  • Economic stability
  • Family friendly
  • Income equality
  • Politically stable
  • Safety
Curious, but population density, land quality, water, climate, etc. appear to be irrelevant?

Note:
Canada area = 9,984,670 km2 population = 38,008,005
U.S.A. area = 9,833,520 km2 population = 328,239,523
Kind of like comparing apples and beach balls.

There are zero states in which minimum wage can feed and house yourself.

Um, do you know what the US government is?

The reason I ask is because the US government says people can do it on $6.91/hour and people actually do, except the federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour so they live a little better than $6.91/hour.

My hope is that one day you'll grow up and come to understand that neither rent, nor home prices, nor car prices, nor State income, nor sales tax, nor property taxes, nor food prices, nor clothing prices, nor the price of medical, nor the price of various types of insurance, nor the price of entertainment, nor anything else is uniform throughout the US.

You probably think an IT worker in White Plains, New Jersey earning $100,000/year makes more money than an IT worker in Cincinnati earning $44,000/year.

You'd be wrong.

The IT worker in Cincinnati actually makes $4,000 more a year than the guy in New Jersey.

If you don't understand why, you should probably consider giving your high school diploma back or hiring an attorney to sue the school that graduated you for fraud.

1616698786987.png

Those 2-bedroom apartments rent for $400/month.

Sadly, they do not have a swimming pool, but if you wanted a swimming pool and an exercise room on your apartment complex you'd have to pay $450-$550/month.

If you want a swimming pool and an exercise room and tennis courts and covered parking you'd have to pay $650-$750/month.

While that is true here, it is not true everywhere in the US and some places are actually cheaper.

LOL. Are you making this shit up as you go along?

Are you saying you don't know what the US government is? Or are you saying you've never reviewed the relevant data published by the US government?

Um, do you know what the US government is?

The reason I ask is because the US government says people can do it on $6.91/hour and people actually do, except the federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour so they live a little better than $6.91/hour.

My hope is that one day you'll grow up and come to understand that neither rent, nor home prices, nor car prices, nor State income, nor sales tax, nor property taxes, nor food prices, nor clothing prices, nor the price of medical, nor the price of various types of insurance, nor the price of entertainment, nor anything else is uniform throughout the US.

You probably think an IT worker in White Plains, New Jersey earning $100,000/year makes more money than an IT worker in Cincinnati earning $44,000/year.

You'd be wrong.

The IT worker in Cincinnati actually makes $4,000 more a year than the guy in New Jersey.

If you don't understand why, you should probably consider giving your high school diploma back or hiring an attorney to sue the school that graduated you for fraud.

View attachment 67324848

Those 2-bedroom apartments rent for $400/month.

Sadly, they do not have a swimming pool, but if you wanted a swimming pool and an exercise room on your apartment complex you'd have to pay $450-$550/month.

If you want a swimming pool and an exercise room and tennis courts and covered parking you'd have to pay $650-$750/month.

While that is true here, it is not true everywhere in the US and some places are actually cheaper.

Bravo!!!!!

The question each of us should individually ask ourselves is what we find needed as a living income. Once that has been determined, it becomes the responsibility of each individual to pursue it by employing the physical/mental abilities they possess.

Are you saying you don't know what the US government is? Or are you saying you've never reviewed the relevant data published by the US government?
Nobody lives off of 7.25 just fine. Just because you say it, does not make it so. Now prove me wrong

Back
Top Bottom