• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:23]Trump Says Country Wants Border Wall, But That’s Not What Polls Say

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump Says Country Wants Border Wall, But That’s Not What Polls Say

CqECZvTUsAAG3Vk.jpg

1/3/19
President Donald Trump insisted again Thursday that there’s “so much support” his border wall. But polls contradict him. “The people of our country want it,” Trump declared at a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room Thursday to plead for the wall. “I have never had so much support as I have in the last week over my stance for border security ... or, frankly, the wall or the barrier. I have never had anything like it in terms of calls coming in, in terms of people writing in and tweeting. I’ve never had this much support,” he added. Trump was apparently referring to personal calls he has received. Neither the White House switchboard nor the call-in phone line to leave recorded comments is functioning because of the government shutdown. “We apologize, but due to the lapse in federal funding, we are unable to take your call,” a recorded message on the switchboard states. But no poll has found that a majority of Americans support the wall or funding for the wall, or see it as a priority.

A Quinnipiac poll of 1,147 voters reached on landlines or cell phones from Dec. 12-17 found that 54 percent of respondents opposed the wall and 43 percent supported it. A Harvard CAPS/Harris online survey of 1,407 registered voters conducted Dec. 24-26 found that 56 percent of those surveyed did not support a wall, while 44 percent did. Just 35 percent of those surveyed supported including money for the wall in a federal spending bill, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll of 2,440 adults conducted online Dec. 21-25. More than two-thirds of Americans don’t think the wall should be a priority, according to a poll of 1,075 adults by NPR, PBS News Hour and Marist.

Yet another of Trumps infamous "alternative truths"

Re: Trump Says Country Wants Border Wall, But That’s Not What Polls Say

Aaahhhhhhh!!!

TRUMP!!!!!

“Alternative truths?”

There have been an untold number of interviews with sitting politicians, pundits and other talking heads, in the last two years. There are an overwhelming majority who will not just flat out and call Trump a liar. I never knew there were so many ways to try to soften what the intent of the statement is..........

“No collusion”

He is now threatening to abuse his powers to force an issue the legislature does not want to address:

President Trump on Friday threatened a years-long shutdown of the federal government to get the money he wants for his U.S.-Mexico border wall, even as he asserted that he could declare a national emergency to build the wall if he chose to. “We can do it. I haven’t done it. I may do it. I may do it,” Trump said of the possibility of declaring a national emergency to build the wall.

The president’s comments came during a lengthy Rose Garden news conference that followed a meeting with top Democratic and Republican congressional leaders as the partial government shutdown neared its two-week mark.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...58c33d6c8c7_story.html?utm_term=.309221e72bc5

This is the one unavoidable blind spot in a democracy, or our democracy: even ignoring problems like standing, if a President gave an illegal order and armed federal services obeyed rather than stopped him, it wouldn't matter if the case magically went straight to SCOTUS and they said "no". It's a big "if", but a real if. The courts have no army.

If he declared a national emergency and all relevant personnel obeyed, a president could violate the constitution with impunity.

...and no, no armed insurrection of Americans with all their guns would pop up to stop it, especially not if it's building a wall the armed Americans in the area where the wall is meant to be built tend to live.

He is now threatening to abuse his powers to force an issue the legislature does not want to address:

Obama and DACA

Obama and DACA

Could you please respond to my posts without a lie at some point?

Discretion in enforcement of law is ALWAYS the perogative of the executive. Cops exercise it in deciding whom to arrest vs. warn. Prosecutors exercise it in which charges to bring or not bring, when to dismiss cases or not. And the President - ANY president - has always exercised discretion in which illegals to deport or how to do it.

Obama exercised his by largely continuing the discretionary choices Bush made, but putting more emphasis on directing resources to deporting violent felons. Deciding to focus on that rather than focus on some college kid they happened to catch =/= "violating his powers". It's the definition of exercising an age-old executive power. It is no different than a prosecutor deciding to not prosecute a first-time offender for disorderly conduct, or deciding not to prosecute ANY first-time disorderly conduct offenders. (and before you lie some more, illegal entry is a misdemeanor, while unlawful presence is a civil offense not even a crime, and a good 75ish% "illegals" are people unlawfully present because they overstayed visas. So my comparison really is the accurate one, and you really don't know what you're talking about). Or more accurately , you lied. Again.

Please stop lying about everything.

Edit:

Ugh. So it appears I attached an image to say "shame on you for liking that, dobieg", then edited it out along with the text because...meh. But thanks to a quirk of DP, it would seem that an image you add does not actually get deleted if you edit the post to remove the code adding it. You have to delete the post, which I don't want to do at this point. Someone may be replying, for one thing.

So shame on you, dobieg. You liked a very bad and dishonest post, even if you haven't yet posted in the thread.

Attachments

• dobieg like fletch.png
    dobieg like fletch.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Well you do know the GOP rejects science right? Well turns out math too, cuz zimmer was bragging about how Americans have given us a mandate for the wall, cuz 43% of 'murica is in favor, I mean 43%, that's more than half right?:roll:

Discretion in enforcement of law is ALWAYS the perogative of the executive. Cops exercise it in deciding whom to arrest vs. warn. Prosecutors exercise it in which charges to bring or not bring, when to dismiss cases or not. And the President - ANY president - has always exercised discretion in which illegals to deport or how to do it.

Obama exercised his by largely continuing the discretionary choices Bush made, but putting more emphasis on directing resources to deporting violent felons. Deciding to focus on that rather than focus on some college kid they happened to catch =/= "violating his powers". It's the definition of exercising an age-old executive power. It is no different than a prosecutor deciding to not prosecute a first-time offender for disorderly conduct, or deciding not to prosecute ANY first-time disorderly conduct offenders. (and before you lie some more, illegal entry is a misdemeanor, while unlawful presence is a civil offense not even a crime, and a good 75ish% "illegals" are people unlawfully present because they overstayed visas. So my comparison really is the accurate one, and you really don't know what you're talking about). Or more accurately , you lied. Again.

There was more to it than just exercising discretion. He rewrote immigration law because he couldnt get what he wanted through congress.

There was more to it than just exercising discretion. He rewrote immigration law because he couldnt get what he wanted through congress.

That is another lie.

Are you trying to turn this into a "yuh-huh" vs. a "nuh-uh" so that my easily researchable points get buried, and maybe ten pages later you can start repeating the same dishonest **** to someone else, and other conservatives will give you likes, and then you'll all say it to each other, and then you'll all join up in saying it to us, and it will become one of those little personal realities that you can never be rudely disabused of because no court will ever be in a position to say what I said about DACA?

or did you not think it through anywhere near that far and are just lying again?

Please do note: another complete failure to respond will require me to copy/paste the whole thing again...just so your stupid bull**** will be obvious. If you can't stop lying at my request, at least do me the favor of no longer responding.

Last edited:

Nope, he can't; not in a million years.

Yup, he tried to expand it unilaterally and got slapped down by the courts.

The same polls that said there would be a Blue Wave.

There was a Blue Wave. 40 House seats. Keep up.

There was a Blue Wave. 40 House seats. Keep up.

A good number of those seats came from California where California has passed a law allowing vote harvesting something most states find illegal because it allows fraudulent results. There is evidence the same tactics were being used in Arizona, Texas, Georgia and Florida where it is illegal and some charges have already been made in certain precincts in some of these states while others are still under investigation. One way this harvesting of votes is done by harvesting illegals with mail in ballots.

After all the investigations are complete, the truth will come out and what you are calling a blue wave is going to look like several seats were stolen.

That is another lie.

Are you trying to turn this into a "yuh-huh" vs. a "nuh-uh" so that my easily researchable points get buried, and maybe ten pages later you can start repeating the same dishonest **** to someone else, and other conservatives will give you likes, and then you'll all say it to each other, and then you'll all join up in saying it to us, and it will become one of those little personal realities that you can never be rudely disabused of because no court will ever be in a position to say what I said about DACA?

or did you not think it through anywhere near that far and are just lying again?

Please do note: another complete failure to respond will require me to copy/paste the whole thing again...just so your stupid bull**** will be obvious. If you can't stop lying at my request, at least do me the favor of no longer responding.

Do you have evidence for your opposition to his statement or you just trolling.

Obama and DACA

Edit:

Ugh. So it appears I attached an image to say "shame on you for liking that, dobieg", then edited it out along with the text because...meh. But thanks to a quirk of DP, it would seem that an image you add does not actually get deleted if you edit the post to remove the code adding it. You have to delete the post, which I don't want to do at this point. Someone may be replying, for one thing.

So shame on you, dobieg. You liked a very bad and dishonest post, even if you haven't yet posted in the thread.

That is another lie.

Do you have evidence for your opposition to his statement or you just trolling.
^
Debate Board Move 2(a)(3): demand "evidence" that one is prepared to reject, when one has nothing else to say. Do this even if you yourself do not provide a link for each factual statement made in your posts.

PS: You do realize that if you do as you did - ignoring the post with the "evidence" and instead responding to the post that chose to lie about what was presented - I can just copy/paste the full exchange, as I did here. Right?

PSS: Every single time I have actually gone to the bother of finding links for each statement I made upon challenge, the challenger jumps thread, or ignores the post but stays in the thread and continues repeating their claim at me. Go at least start with a treatise on prosecutorial/executive discretion and get back to me about what is actually allowed/not allowed.

PSSS: You're not going to find anything that says it isn't allowed. It's a thing. It is exercised by all sorts of individuals in their executive/investigative/prosecutorial capacities, right down to presidents, in issuing broad mandates as to how their agencies shall focus. Or in 'signing statements'. In all sorts of manners. And no, I am not wont to go dig up a link for all of that on command, since I know (1) it's true, and (2) someone who says it isn't true never bothered to look themselves or is choosing to lie to score a point on the internet.

If you want to declare that's wrong, I'm sure you'll collect some "likes" from the usual suspects. I can only hope the usual suspects are a shrinking club because there's no reasoning with them.

:2wave:

Last edited:

^
Debate Board Move 2(a)(3): demand "evidence" that one is prepared to reject, when one has nothing else to say. Do this even if you yourself do not provide a link for each factual statement made in your posts.

PS: You do realize that if you do as you did - ignoring the post with the "evidence" and instead responding to the post that chose to lie about what was presented - I can just copy/paste the full exchange, as I did here. Right?

PSS: Every single time I have actually gone to the bother of finding links for each statement I made upon challenge, the challenger jumps thread, or ignores the post but stays in the thread and continues repeating their claim at me. Go at least start with a treatise on prosecutorial/executive discretion and get back to me about what is actually allowed/not allowed.

PSSS: You're not going to find anything that says it isn't allowed. It's a thing. It is exercised by all sorts of individuals in their executive/investigative/prosecutorial capacities, right down to presidents, in issuing broad mandates as to how their agencies shall focus. Or in 'signing statements'. In all sorts of manners. And no, I am not wont to go dig up a link for all of that on command, since I know (1) it's true, and (2) someone who says it isn't true never bothered to look themselves or is choosing to lie to score a point on the internet.

If you want to declare that's wrong, I'm sure you'll collect some "likes" from the usual suspects. I can only hope the usual suspects are a shrinking club because there's no reasoning with them.

:2wave:
It seems to me that Obama issued an executive order that allowed for certain illegal immigrants to not be deported and given work permits that somehow courts say a president cant use his authority to end and he somehow cant use that same authority to build a wall according to you.

Moderator's Warning:
If you want to stay in this thread, be productive or you'll be gone. And if you believe a post violates the rules, report it, don't discuss it.

Obama and DACA

Please Supply a link to where it says Obama declared a national emergency or threatened to declare a National Emergency over DACA

He wrote an EO no one challenged it that's not abuse of power. Sending American forces to the Border when there is no reason to send them to the Border that's abuse of power. Declaring a National Emergency because you are so incompetent you can't get a deal done even though you wrote a book about it when there's no legitimate reason to declare it is abuse of power

Back
Top Bottom