• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#23,579]Ukraine War Thread

Russia's Bakhmut push is slowing to a crawl.
Their movements near Avdiivka & Vuhledar have been stalled completely.
Their hubs in Crimea continue to get hit by the Ukraine military.

This is perhaps THE WORST offensive in modern history. When kids study this in school, they will be told "Class, this is what you don't do on the battlefield".
I try to ensure that my posts are based upon reliable sources. I evaluate reliability on a history of accuracy, support by other reliable sources, and my experience in Operations Planning.

One of those sources is ISW, which takes a conservative view of battlefield claims, uses a variety of sources (including Russian), and identify most of their sources. They also verify claims though corroboration.

In their latest update, they posted the following:
A Ukrainian intelligence official supported ISW’s prior assessments that Russian forces are unable to conduct large-scale, simultaneous offensive campaigns on multiple axes.[8] Ukrainian Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) Spokesperson Vadym Skibitsky stated on March 23 that Russian forces have demonstrated in the last year of the war that Russian forces are unable to maintain large-scale, strategic-level offensives on multiple axes of advance.[9] Skibitsky stated that Russian forces failed to achieve the expected quick or significant advances in the Donbas offensive that began in early 2023. Skibitsky stated that Ukrainian forces fixed Russian forces to multiple areas on the front line and that Russian forces in occupied Crimea and Kherson and Zaporizhia oblasts are on the defensive. US National Security Council Spokesperson John Kirby stated on March 21 that Russian forces will try to start another offensive, possibly even on multiple different axes, in the coming weeks.[10]

I had previously made the same observation in several posts. Russia - either because of doctrine or lack of resources, or both - seems incapable of identifying and exploiting weaknesses in Ukrainian defenses. This is a good thing. There has been no Russian "breakthrough" on any front since their initial attack, but a series of withdrawals along all fronts.

It also appears that their facilities for doing so have been attritted significantly. They've never been good at maneuver, to begin with, and overly dependent on rail movement - a la WWII. That is why, both in 2014 and in this invasion, the lines of contact remain largely static, and why significant assets like fuel and ammunition supply points are within striking distance of active front lines.

That is why Bakhmut has been such a bone of contention. It is one area where Russian advances have been made, if incremental. But, as I've noted before, the Russian defensive lines are broad, but not deep.

If one looks objectively at the map, Ukraine has a distinct advantage. It can concentrate forces and move them along the front as needed, because they have shorter internal lines of communication and supply. That advantage will be demonstrated when the Ukraine counteroffensive begins. They will be able to move quickly to exploit breakthroughs, as they did in Kharkiv.

Russia's disadvantages are longer lines of communication and a relative lack of resources to move assets around. Ukraine's biggest risk is overextending their lines, which could stall their advance, and, of course, not knowing where there are potential sticking points along Russia's secondary lines of defense.

Every advance creates a salient, and every salient creates a vulnerability. What wins battles is concentrating fires on relevant objectives and relative weaknesses. What wins wars is having a solid strategy. On the last, there has been no contest.

Fail less.
That would requird effort. He obviously is just parroting Tass/RT talking points. It's funny how the Putin apologists claim "we all are succumbing to propaganda", when that's all they present - Russian propaganda. Ludicrous, really, and hilarious.

That is what lets me get through all the crap. One page back there were only 5 posts to read because the others were "ignored". I've since confirmed that they made no contribution to the discussion. Just crap and trolling.

Really?

This is perhaps THE WORST offensive in modern history. When kids study this in school, they will be told "Class, this is what you don't do on the battlefield".
I think they are taking their time setting up defensive positions. Apparently Ukraine is sending the brunt of their reserves in a last ditch effort to open up Bakhmut. If this is correct it will be a huge battle. I do not think this will be a smart move for Ukraine if this is the case.

I think they are taking their time setting up defensive positions. Apparently Ukraine is sending the brunt of their reserves in a last ditch effort to open up Bakhmut. If this is correct it will be a huge battle. I do not think this will be a smart move for Ukraine if this is the case.
Meanwhile, Ukraine is in month 14 of the war. Guess they got a lot right

Meanwhile, Ukraine is in month 14 of the war. Guess they got a lot right
Sure the Ukraine army is formidable and they received billions and billions of dollars and arms from the west which most certainly has allowed the Ukrainians to fight longer than they would have.

Back to Africa

1 April makes 9 months, try to take a small piece of land

The civil war that has been going on in the Donbas since 2014, has not been peaceful. So then are we supposed to call Ukrainians, blood thirsty?
"civil war."

"border dispute."

Russian propaganda.

No the Russian people are not a blood thirsty people. You are doing what is often done. You are demonizing who you perceive as your enemy. Unless you are Ukrainian, they are not even your enemy.

The judgement of history is in, the Russian people and their culture is one of insatiable entitlement, paranoia, hostility, xenophobia and a proven inability to acquire anything like democratic and humanitarian values. You can't name a single fraternal, civic, or humanitarian organization with its origins in Russia. Russian history is barren of great humanitarians and organizations for a reason; there is no Nelson Mandela's, Albert Schweitzer's, Mother Teresa's, Gandhi's, Jane Adams, Florence Nightingales, Clara Barton's, Henry Dunant's or Oscar Schindlers. Indeed, Notably absent from the founding international convention for the red cross was Russia, although the rest of Europe embraced it. Russia, of course, had no interest in the first Geneva conventions either.

Equally alien to Russian culture is the whole notion of civic engagement and service organizations, thIe voluntary bonding of communities for doing good work. There never has been men's business lunches and women's afternoon teas that blossomed into national voluntary associations for public service, as happened in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Doing public good combined with private camaraderie in social clubs was a backbone of American life, focusing on schools, libraries, and parks which then federated with a national organization. The poor peasants and blue collars of Russia couldn't even conceive of such selfless service of good will, as such Rotary, Optimists, Kiwanis, Lions, etc. could never have existed.

Indeed, the notion of the rich oligarchy of Russia ever having the slightest interest in emulating the work of the foundations of Carnegie, Ford, Rockefeller, etc is laughable. Today 25 of the top individual donors in America (eg Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, etc) have given away $150,000,000 in charitable work - a public ethos rare or unheard of in Russian oligarchic culture.

No, the facts speak louder than all of the craven worm tongues of Russophile worship and their absurd propaganda. Russians are a barbaric and savage people, impossible to rule except under a top down and ruthless autocracy, a kleptocracy and Mafia state that uses mutual assassination as normal business

Why are you so blind to the obvious?

Last edited:
Its called war and they are in the process of winning it.
In other words, its just as roadvirus said, what Russians are doing in and to Ukraine isn't exactly peaceful is it?

Or does it elude you that making war on, and in, another country isn't anything but violent?

The start of integrating systems/platforms
The intention is to be able to operate jointly based on already known ways of operating under NATO, according to statements by the four countries' armed forces.

The move to integrate the air forces was triggered by Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February last year, commander of the Danish air force, Major General Jan Dam, told Reuters.

just accusations usually from the Nazis in kiev,

Funny but Prighozin has said he doesn't actually believe there is any point to the "denazification" in Ukraine...

That's a link to the first tweet - the next 4 will simply embarrass you further.

Why are the YPR's doing?
1) Mobile targets are harder to hit, especially by artillery.
2) They are identifying enemy positions.
3) They are providing fire support for infantry.
4) I suspect in unshown footage, they will be discharging infantry to address identified targets.
5) They are tearing the **** out of some poor farmer's fields.

Sorry for not replying before @EnigmaO01 - I looked at the word "why" and decided I just couldn't address your question.

My apologies for not reading it as "what" - however @NWRatCon pretty much covers it in the first 3 bullet points - mainly mobile targets being harder to hit.

Really?

The problem for the Russians is that they have to fight with the army they have and the commanders they have rather than an effective force that is well lead.

Russian ability to manufacture is taking larger hits. Sanctions take time. Routes thru Turkey have been mostly shut down

I try to ensure that my posts are based upon reliable sources. I evaluate reliability on a history of accuracy, support by other reliable sources, and my experience in Operations Planning.

One of those sources is ISW, which takes a conservative view of battlefield claims, uses a variety of sources (including Russian), and identify most of their sources. They also verify claims though corroboration.

In their latest update, they posted the following:
A Ukrainian intelligence official supported ISW’s prior assessments that Russian forces are unable to conduct large-scale, simultaneous offensive campaigns on multiple axes.[8] Ukrainian Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) Spokesperson Vadym Skibitsky stated on March 23 that Russian forces have demonstrated in the last year of the war that Russian forces are unable to maintain large-scale, strategic-level offensives on multiple axes of advance.[9] Skibitsky stated that Russian forces failed to achieve the expected quick or significant advances in the Donbas offensive that began in early 2023. Skibitsky stated that Ukrainian forces fixed Russian forces to multiple areas on the front line and that Russian forces in occupied Crimea and Kherson and Zaporizhia oblasts are on the defensive. US National Security Council Spokesperson John Kirby stated on March 21 that Russian forces will try to start another offensive, possibly even on multiple different axes, in the coming weeks.[10]

I had previously made the same observation in several posts. Russia - either because of doctrine or lack of resources, or both - seems incapable of identifying and exploiting weaknesses in Ukrainian defenses. This is a good thing. There has been no Russian "breakthrough" on any front since their initial attack, but a series of withdrawals along all fronts.

It also appears that their facilities for doing so have been attritted significantly. They've never been good at maneuver, to begin with, and overly dependent on rail movement - a la WWII. That is why, both in 2014 and in this invasion, the lines of contact remain largely static, and why significant assets like fuel and ammunition supply points are within striking distance of active front lines.

That is why Bakhmut has been such a bone of contention. It is one area where Russian advances have been made, if incremental. But, as I've noted before, the Russian defensive lines are broad, but not deep.

If one looks objectively at the map, Ukraine has a distinct advantage. It can concentrate forces and move them along the front as needed, because they have shorter internal lines of communication and supply. That advantage will be demonstrated when the Ukraine counteroffensive begins. They will be able to move quickly to exploit breakthroughs, as they did in Kharkiv.

Russia's disadvantages are longer lines of communication and a relative lack of resources to move assets around. Ukraine's biggest risk is overextending their lines, which could stall their advance, and, of course, not knowing where there are potential sticking points along Russia's secondary lines of defense.

Every advance creates a salient, and every salient creates a vulnerability. What wins battles is concentrating fires on relevant objectives and relative weaknesses. What wins wars is having a solid strategy. On the last, there has been no contest.
2 things I will add.
1. The inflexible strategy. Their first attacked failed because they cam from all direction with not enough manpower. 4:1 if you attack and they used the wrong time of the year. The mud created choke points. This winter/spring offensive, same deal, attacking every where with not enough equipment and troops and the season created choke points. Instead of concentrating a 4:1 advantage and blow the Ukraine line apart, in a season which allows that. They nibbled and blead their troops and equipment away, again.
2. Their really outdated logistics, hand loaded trucks, no containers or pallets, no fork lifts, no bar code, pre computer/labtops/tablet age.
I posted a Bundeswehr video, where the General who runs the Bundeswehr logistic explains. Bundeswehr, mind you, they can run dispersed logistic centers in a battlefield situation, as if it where one big warehouse, Computers, laptops, pads etc. They have special trucks, 6x6 to drop of containers, offroad forklifts, barcode readers and so on, they have GPS in the Trucks, cannot get lost. Today all that is Westernworld standard, even in private life. Private Russia from industry to private citizens is when it comes to modern electronics and its daily use are better equipped than the Russian army. The former MC D chain had better logistics, VW and so on. This is what is truly the cause why Russia is unable to win this war

Back
Top Bottom