• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#23,579]Ukraine War Thread

But that is really very old hardware, obsolete, the ammo so old, most will not work. Russia had to buy 1 million rounds for its arty from NK. They just lost over 100 of its best frontline tanks in Kharkiv. Many just abandoned, resupply for the Ukraine, thousands of tons of ammo, which the Ukraine needed. The same naturally will happen in Kherson, just a matter of time.
With what will those soldiers fight?

It is hard for me to understand all those tactical blunders, like the Kherson Oblast, moving all those soldiers from the NE and their equipment into a position where they could easily be trapped. That was predictable, them getting trapped.

Russia is running this with a mixture of WWI and WWII, not like a modern war. Its rather amazing
All true, but 1 key point is, Putin is buying time.
He cannot afford another successful Ukrainian offensive. And I do think that Kherson will see Russian lines cut, logistics hit hard, and a ton of Russian POW's.

I do recall every single so-called armchair general and "analyst" were busy publishing threads about how Russia was going to lose a couple days after the invasion started. What makes him so special?
Now where did that BS come from

There are plenty of reasons to suspect this effort will flounder, although an equal number of reasons to fear it might not.

The silver lining to this development is that this will likely be the last mobilization tolerated by the Russian public. If 300,000 are sent to the front, and there are 150,000 dead and wounded in nine months, there is no chance that Putin will have another bite at the apple.

Moreover, there has been a strong tendency for Russians to throw in troops as they arrive, rather than build units until a strong offensive force is constructed. When that has happened, Ukrainians have exacted very heavy costs on advancing Russians.

Finally, this will have an impact on pubic services, factory work, etc. The IT guy probably won't be touched, but the folks that drive the tractors or provide public power and transport will be gone.
It buys time, does what his supporters wanted/demanded. It will not play out well for many of those poor bastards

But you can bet the well connected and wealthy will find a way to keep their kids out of it. The U.S. Vietnam draft was a good example. A expatriate Russian in Canada told me it's very common in Russia.

My Eastern-Euro side of the family came from a country Stalin annexed.

To have them tell it, at some age (16?) everyone takes a comprehensive exam. Then, ostensibly based on the exam, it is determined the paths the young people will take in their lives. If you're the son of a peasant farmer, they give you a wrench & send you to work in the tank factory. If your family is aligned with the power-structure, they send you to the university.

This was quite a few years ago back, during the Soviet Era.

All true, but 1 key point is, Putin is buying time.
He cannot afford another successful Ukrainian offensive. And I do think that Kherson will see Russian lines cut, logistics hit hard, and a ton of Russian POW's.
I do not think he can have another loss, like Kharkiv, which is coming in Kherson.

What hurts Russia most, the loss of #1 equipment and its #1 operators. Over 2000 tanks destroyed, which includes its soldiers. That is a massive number.
Very few countries have 1000 tanks.
Same for APCs, nearly 4000.
The fronline Russia has is just to long. If it wants to shore up Luhansk and Dumbars, it needs the troops in the South. But that would mean the Ukraine will take the South and that would put Crimea into danger.
Russia is bound to lose this war, not because of the KIA, but because it is running out of #1 equipment.
East of the Ural it has plenty of troops with #1 equipment, but it cannot use them, they are security against China and naturally internal security.
Kim Putler has some headaches, must need a bottle of Tylonol every day.
Him and his Mafia had a racket going, with oil, gas, arg products, fertilizers and so on. 100s of billions and he fooked it all up, wanting to be Peter the Great.

Amazing

I do recall every single so-called armchair general and "analyst" were busy publishing threads about how Russia was going to lose a couple days after the invasion started. What makes him so special?

I am curious. What are the names of these armchair generals who said Russia would lose in a "couple of days" after the invasion started?

Read they had 13 K tanks in storage. Getting hundreds serviceable could be done quickly in the west. In Russia, no idea. Other kit, light armor/artillery they have a lot in storage
They will be poorly trained, poorly equipped, and morale in the gutter
Putin needs to stabilize lines in Ukraine.

We have yet to see how- mass mobilization will impact society, and their reactions.
No doubt they call up will be heavy with ethnic minorities & the poor
In larger centers, if reports about medical professionals are true, large numbers mobilized, services will drop
From what I have read the consensus on mobilization is, some impact, not significant.

Putin cannot afford another massive defeat of his army in Ukraine.

Lastly, Putin is playing for time.

Geezus is that a sheet-load of tanks!

Yeah, old, derelict, disabled, whatever?

But it's a helluva' sized collection! Wow!

I am curious. What are the names of these armchair generals who said Russia would lose in a "couple of days" after the invasion started?
I said that they were publishing threads a couple of days after the invasion started about how Russia would lose.

I said that they were publishing threads a couple of days after the invasion started about how Russia would lose.

Well, "the experts" who were publishing these threads, what are their names? Have a link or citation? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Besides their obvious physical calamities, many look like they are suffering psychological shock. The way they stare straight ahead, unblinking, gauntly, emotionless, when walking.

I can't even begin to imagine all they endured, and the physical & mental toll it took on them.

Some video of the Ukrainian prisoners first steps to freedom

Besides their obvious physical calamities, many look like they are suffering psychological shock. The way they stare straight ahead, unblinking, gauntly, emotionless, when walking.

I can't even begin to imagine all they endured, and the physical & mental toll it took on them.
Many are alive due to video of their surrender.

Back
Top Bottom