• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#23,579]Ukraine War Thread

No you are wrong. The German industry and economy did not shut down because of the energy crisis.
In July 2022 the NG price peaked and has since then dropped to pre-war prices. For the time March till July Germany had to pay extremely high NG prices, while it filled its underground storages, which had been in February between 0% and 40% empty. Some of the storage run by Gazprom had been completly empty, what a surprise, which produced new regulations and oversight.
Naturally the extreme prices of June and July and the volume Germany needed to fill its storages, completly screwed up the average price for the year 2022.

Now you go back to ignore, have fun
You said I was wrong about 109% increase in LNG cost. I was right about that.

Not really. Many are still operating there in some capacity or another.

They are now about 27 American corporations still operating in Russia but all are complying with US sanctions. 100's have left and announced they would never return though.There is no going back for Russia now.

These U.S. companies are still doing business in Russia​

Twenty-seven U.S-based companies are defying calls to exit or curtail their activities in Russia, according to a running tally by Yale University management professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld and his research team.
While Starbucks and McDonald's have both announced their complete withdrawals from Russia in recent days, Hard Rock continues to operate its Hard Rock Cafes in Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia.

The company, acquired by the Seminole Tribe of Florida in 2007, "will suspend all future investment and development in Russia and donate all profits from the two franchise locations in Russia to humanitarian causes in Ukraine," Hard Rock said in an emailed statement to CBS MoneyWatch.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-bus...arro-hard-rock-cafe-mcdonalds-starbucks-koch/

High interest rate slow spending. US is a consumer driven economy that China wishes they had
Consumer spending drops due to higher payments on anything using credit, companies lay off/go bankrupt. Tax base drops, impacting Govt revenues/lay-offs and on and on

Just look at the ramifications if SVB had failed
Credite Suisse is about to be taken over by UBS and the Govt kicking in funds

Financial experts agree a recession is coming. When and how hard it impacts various countries is yet to be seen

High interest rates in the long term = a recession is coming.
They only real questions are when & how hard
I respectfully disagree. Our interest rates may be going higher to curb inflation, but they are not very high at this point.
I don't know how old you are but I can remember interest rates in the teens when I was a lot younger. Now that is high interest rates,
We've been hearing about an impending recession for several years now.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Our interest rates may be going higher to curb inflation, but they are not very high at this point.
I don't know how old you are but I can remember interest rates in the teens when I was as lot younger. Now that is high interest rates,
I am fine with that

I don't know how old you are but I can remember interest rates in the teens when I was as lot younger. Now that is high interest rates,
These people do not understand that zero interest rates are the anomaly and 5% is close to the postwar average. Since no one has any savings anymore all they care about is the lowest interest for their loans. I am relieved that after a decade I am finally getting 3.4% on my savings.

MM17_U.S._Interest_Rate-3.jpg

Last edited:
There was a huge price spike last summer but now natural gas prices are lower in Europe than before the invasion. Putin is screwed.
The spike continued. If consumers did not see a gigantic price increase it would only be because the governments are subsidizing the cost. This is the case in Germany. However, this caused taxes to go up in 2022.

The spike continued. If consumers did not see a gigantic price increase it would only be because the governments are subsidizing the cost. This is the case in Germany. However, this caused taxes to go up in 2022.
Huh??? Gas prices are much lower than a year ago. Europe has no need for Russian gas and will not be buying it until Putin is long gone. If EVER.

98cab081273fc3466d5691acf589ba5f

Approx 15 B in funds. This rule change will provide aid shortly and more as needed in the long term
Ukraine, which has been battling a Russian invasion for more than a year, is seeking an IMF financing package of around $15 billion. But the Fund's rules designed to deal with country economic crises did not allow for non-emergency loans to countries facing such massive uncertainties, such as from major wars or multi-year natural disasters induced by climate change.
WASHINGTON, March 17 (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund said its executive board on Friday approved rule changes that would allow the IMF to approve new loan programs for countries facing "exceptionally high uncertainty" - a move expected to pave the way for a new Ukraine loan program.

Huh??? Gas prices are much lower than a year ago. Europe has no need for Russian gas and will not be buying it until Putin is long gone. If EVER.

98cab081273fc3466d5691acf589ba5f
The Netherlands has their own natural gas fields, so this does not reflect what is going on in Germany. In addition there was created subsidies for gas companies to fill the national reserves, so this price chart is not really reflective of market pricing. On top of all of that, your chart if it went back further in time would show that the prices umped up in mid 2021.

Eritrea - a large imprisoned population that the world forgets
Rather fitting name

Last edited:
Wrong again
Your wrong.

Gas Reserves in the Netherlands​

See also: List of countries by Gas Reserves

The Netherlands holds 28 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of proven gas reserves as of 2017, ranking 26th in the world and accounting for about 0% of the world's total natural gas reserves of 6,923 Tcf.

The Netherlands has proven reserves equivalent to 18.1 times its annual consumption. This means it has about 18 years of gas left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

Your wrong.

Gas Reserves in the Netherlands​

See also: List of countries by Gas Reserves

The Netherlands holds 28 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of proven gas reserves as of 2017, ranking 26th in the world and accounting for about 0% of the world's total natural gas reserves of 6,923 Tcf.

The Netherlands has proven reserves equivalent to 18.1 times its annual consumption. This means it has about 18 years of gas left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).
And?

Back
Top Bottom