• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#23,579]Ukraine War Thread

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Ukraine War Thread - Pls set aside partisanship & trolling. People are dying and we see it in minutes to hrs.

Had a great thread upstairs, consolidated, great thread. But it appears a number cannot make an appearance for a variety of reasons

Think we need 1 thread to keep up dated as the Ukraine war continues

Everything from peace talks to the war.

People are dying so partisanship and trolling set to the side.

The West will keep arming and it appears providing light armor and hopefully those S300's that would be damned useful. And hopefully heavier kit for Ukraine
NATO and the world are watching a military fall apart.
My est 18 KIA Russian

Putin is boxed
My opinion on a deal
No NATO for Ukraine
Yes to EU for Ukraine
NATO guarantees similar to Art 5
Crimea set aside for later -lots of words in any deal, but Not recognized by Ukraine as Russian
Ukraine promises not to attack Crimea
Ukraine will only accept prewar borders.

Ukraine is gaining the advantage from a poorly trained military who can't feed their troops.
More advanced NATO weapons will be sent. No doubt Ukrainian Military are receiving training on other NATO kit

That southern land bridge will IMHO remain in Ukraine - the canal opened and free movement of goods, non military permitted between Russia/Crimea.
Dog food is also prohibited as relabeling has occurred.
Anyone with good links pls share them.
So much disinformation on SM. One that Ukraine clearly won.
Some links
Financial Times free for Ukraine War
DAMAGE DESTROYED Updates daily - excellent source IMHO
Institute for the Study of War
Foreign Affairs Homepage - article limits
Atlantic Council
Foreign Policy Research Institute - International Policy Think Tank
Foreign Policy Research Institute
Foreign Policy –Global Magazine
And Twitter.

And if this is true, the Russian military is severely ****ed.

Finland President tells Parliament to draft and submit a request to join NATO.
No doubt NATO has we just sign here forms ready to go with a fast approval.

That will not go over well with Russia.
Finns fought for their independence from Russia
Finnish Civil War
Winter War - Wikipedia

Ukraine War Thread - Pls set aside partisanship & trolling. People are dying and we see it in minutes to hrs.

Had a great thread upstairs, consolidated, great thread. But it appears a number cannot make an appearance for a variety of reasons

The West will keep arming and it appears providing light armor and hopefully those S300's that would be damned useful. And hopefully heavier kit for Ukraine
My est 18 KIA Russian

Putin is boxed
My opinion on a deal
No NATO for Ukraine
Yes to EU for Ukraine
Crimea set aside for later -lots of words in any deal, but Not recognized by Ukraine as Russian

Ukraine is gaining the advantage from a poorly trained military who can't feed their troops.
More advanced NATO weapons will be sent. No doubt Ukrainian Military are receiving training on other NATO kit

That southern land bridge will IMHO remain in Ukraine - the canal opened and free movement of goods, non military permitted between Russia/Crimea.
Some links
Atlantic Council
And Twitter.

Thanks for this, JANFU.

Hopefully the MIA posters find this thread, though I also have concerns we now may have bifurcation. However in the long run, I suspect this is the proper place for a continuous long-term thread.

--

With that being said, I'll just contribute that we need to be cognizant the Russians are still making progress in many places, and Putin is attempting to re-supply and re-cycle troops. Mariupol appears to have essentially fallen, becoming near desolate and uninhabited, and soon many of those Russian resources there will be able to be rotated elsewhere in the country.

In addition, Russia is able to resupply and re-resource along the contiguous land-strip along the South Coast, thereby attempting to expand their push to form a contiguous land territory eventually going to Crimea. Of all Putin's objectives and desires, I believe this is his most critical objective. Of course this landmass would land-lock Ukraine, with grievous results.

--

So, in short, and IMO, this is going to be even more hell, is not going to end soon, and a positive Ukrainian outcome is far from guaranteed.

Finland President tells Parliament to draft and submit a request to join NATO.
No doubt NATO has we just sign here forms ready to go with a fast approval.

That will not go over well with Russia.
Finns fought for their independence from Russia
Finnish Civil War
Winter War - Wikipedia

Amazing.

NATO expansion is exactly what Putin's supposed motivation was in occupying Ukraine, and now it seems his very actions have precipitated new expansion!

My est 18 KIA Russian

Putin is boxed
My opinion on a deal
No NATO for Ukraine
Yes to EU for Ukraine

Some links
Atlantic Council
And Twitter.

I'll disagree on the point of NATO making any guarantees that would be even remotely similar to its article 5., on any peace deal.

When (not IF) Russia goes for Ukraine again, it would involve NATO in a direct war with Russia, just as much as if Ukraine were a NATO member.

My est 18 KIA Russian

Putin is boxed
My opinion on a deal
No NATO for Ukraine
Yes to EU for Ukraine

Some links
Atlantic Council
And Twitter.

Thanks for the thread. Yes, as one of those who is not allowed to visit heaven and speak to God's chosen, I appreciate the opportunity to exchange knowledge with the those of us who live a bus stop from purgatory.

Very overdue.

Amazing.

NATO expansion is exactly what Putin's supposed motivation was in occupying Ukraine, and now it seems his very actions have precipitated new expansion!
I was going to post a tongue-in-cheek theory about Putin actually being a CIA agent and not do that in CT, seeing how there it might be taken seriously.

But the NYT beat me to it years ago already.

Is Putin a CIA agent?

I was going to post a tongue-in-cheek theory about Putin actually being a CIA agent and not do that in CT, seeing how there it might be taken seriously.

But the NYT beat me to it years ago already.

Is Putin a CIA agent?

LMAO!

I have to agree! Funny stuff!

Thanks for the thread. Yes, as one of those who is not allowed to visit heaven and speak to God's chosen, I appreciate the opportunity to exchange knowledge with the those of us who live a bus stop from purgatory.

Very overdue.

You too???

Oh well, the future awaits! ;)

Thanks for this, JANFU.

Hopefully the MIA posters find this thread, though I also have concerns we now may have bifurcation. However in the long run, I suspect this is the proper place for a continuous long-term thread.

--

With that being said, I'll just contribute that we need to be cognizant the Russians are still making progress in many places, and Putin is attempting to re-supply and re-cycle troops. Mariupol appears to have essentially fallen, becoming near desolate and uninhabited, and soon many of those Russian resources there will be able to be rotated elsewhere in the country.

In addition, Russia is able to resupply and re-resource along the contiguous land-strip along the South Coast, thereby attempting to expand their push to form a contiguous land territory eventually going to Crimea. Of all Putin's objectives and desires, I believe this is his most critical objective. Of course this landmass would land-lock Ukraine, with grievous results.

--

So, in short, and IMO, this is going to be even more hell, is not going to end soon, and a positive Ukrainian outcome is far from guaranteed.
Russian military assets removed from Kiev will need a lot of repairs, let alone the soldiers, who are suffering from low morale

NATO/Western Govts want the Russian military to bleed & die for their country

This war will be ongoing, as Zelenskyy will accept is a return to prewar borders.

Russian military assets removed from Kiev will need a lot of repairs, let alone the soldiers, who are suffering from low morale

This war will be ongoing, as Zelenskyy will accept is a return to prewar borders.

I'm beginning to believe this is true, except for Crimea.

If Putin wants to fight a war of attrition against the West, he's gonna' be a hurtin'!

Very overdue.
Well I know a guy, who knows a guy, who had another guy, and that guy suggested it;)

Amazing.

The above is a real example of one type of karma.

If over the years Putin had reached out with peace, love and understanding to Ukraine among other former soviet nations we might well have seen a much different outcome than what we see today.

I actually believe Putin will bankrupt Russia and be removed from power just like in 1991.
It's pretty clear he is unable to fix his military issues, and simple bombing campaigns won't be enough once Ukraine begins
getting even more gear from allies.
Ukraine is now launching offense over the Russian border.

The above is a real example of one type of karma.

If over the years Putin had reached out with peace, love and understanding to Ukraine among other former soviet nations we might well have seen a much different outcome than what we see today.

Member or not, here it is:
NATO was formed to stop Russian encroachment into Europe>
Russia's invasion of Ukraine IS "Russian encroachment into Europe" and Ukraine isn't having any of it nor is the entire free world.
NATO is prepared to do its job if need be.

Meanwhile, Pooty is in a bubble, and bubbles are never good in a war.

My hope is Mika-El & Centrist may find their way down here . . . (not to over-look many others) . . .

--

I am totally with you on your assessments. I am beginning to wonder how much of this "special military operation" was all Putin's conception, aided by maybe a small staff of officers. Dictators easily get carried away by what they believe is their brilliance. Putin's seizure of Crimea in 2014 was one for the books; and he got much kudos from the Russian population; it is easy to see how the man may have gotten carried away and began to see himself as some military genius. Why not replicate the Crimea coup de main of 2014 on a grand scale? The Ukrainian bull went for Putin's cape in 2014, maybe the Ukrainian bull will be accomodating one more time and deliver the Dictator a successful "special military operation".

The "special military operation" has been strange as far as military operations go. For example, a day or two ago there was reports of Russia hitting fuel dumps in Lviv. You kind of say hmmmm. A full month after start of hostilities! Why was it not hit in the opening days of the campaign? Isnt that exactly what the General Staff of the Russian Army would have had high on their list of initial targets to be hit? And examples of this abound. Where targets you expect to be hit in the first day are hit weeks after; as if someone is realising belatedly that the Ukrainian bull is tougher than the chief expected.

But Putin faces a serious danger. Time is not on his side. The weapons various Nato countries are scraping up and sending to Ukraine will soon start making their effects felt. A war of attrition boils down to who can manage to get more men and materiel to the line of scrimage. The west definitely can get more materiel to the line of scrimage than Russia can. It may not be enough for Putin to just hope to prevail in Donbass and south. If he cannot take Ukraine out then, with time, the support of the west will wear Russia down.

I actually believe Putin will bankrupt Russia and be removed from power just like in 1991.
It's pretty clear he is unable to fix his military issues, and simple bombing campaigns won't be enough once Ukraine begins
getting even more gear from allies.
Ukraine is now launching offense over the Russian border.

You're not the only one seeing possible analogy to '89-'91.

Back
Top Bottom