• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:2270] Does a Gun Make Your Home Safer?

Seriously? A simple search of your posts using the term "unloaded" returns several pages of results. You have harped and harped about guns being unloaded when stored, and continually conflated being stored with being used.
no that is all your doing. I have pointed out that an loaded gun left unattended and unsecured is not covered by any safety rule. In fact what safety rules there are all say that that is not a safe practice. It is you who then jump to the weird conclusion that just leaving a gun in such a manner is what causes an accident. Demonstrating that it is you who does not understand what an accident is.

What accident will be prevented by putting a seat belt on.
None it's to reduce injury.

How does a gun sitting on my nightstand increase injury in some fabled accident you can't describe?
Again not one word can you quote of me, not one post can you point to that gives you the ability to say i have argued that an accident can happen just because a gun is in a room.
so what is the need for this so-called safety rule that you keep stumping?
Where as I can point to the exact post and your exact words where you believe safety rules prevent accidents.
so?

Yes, that would be an unattended gun. Not necessarily an unsecured gun, though.
sigh! now you are just being pedantic about it. You do know that I have been debating people who have clearly stated that they leave a gun unsecured.

What accident will be prevented by putting a seat belt on.

Again not one word can you quote of me, not one post can you point to that gives you the ability to say i have argued that an accident can happen just because a gun is in a room. Where as I can point to the exact post and your exact words where you believe safety rules prevent accidents.

Some specific safety rules, if followed, will prevent specific occurrences from...well....occurring. :)

no that is all your doing. I have pointed out that an loaded gun left unattended and unsecured is not covered by any safety rule. In fact what safety rules there are all say that that is not a safe practice. It is you who then jump to the weird conclusion that just leaving a gun in such a manner is what causes an accident. Demonstrating that it is you who does not understand what an accident is.
So what do you mean by unattended?

sigh! now you are just being pedantic about it. You do know that I have been debating people who have clearly stated that they leave a gun unsecured.

If it is pedantic, why are you always at pain to list your Holy Triumvirate of Danger (Unsecured, Unloaded, Unattended)?

None it's to reduce injury.
Why should I give a crap that you can give a reasonable response. Should I not also be allowed to do the same as you and just ignore any response and instead just insist you said safety rules prevent accidents. That is what you are doing when you ignore any answer I give to your claim of magic.

How does a gun sitting on my nightstand increase injury in some fabled accident you can't describe?
so what is the need for this so-called safety rule that you keep stumping? so?

How is it putting on a seatbelt will prevent an accident from happening? You made that claim I can prove it by giving you the exact quote and post. You can only pretend i made the claim and ignore any response.

If it is pedantic, why are you always at pain to list your Holy Triumvirate of Danger (Unsecured, Unloaded, Unattended)?
You just answered that yourself. If I leave out one of those words someone will dishonestly jump on that as if they were making a reasonable point. It is the same as I now say I would like a link from a credible source instead of just i would like a link. Because someone has tried to dishonestly give a biased link.

I think he's playing at linguistic ambiguity.

Ask him what he means by unsecured and unattended.
You are not being either clever or original. I have been asked to define these words many times with nearly all I am debating this with. He has already asked me for the meaning of these words.

Why should I give a crap that you can give a reasonable response. Should I not also be allowed to do the same as you and just ignore any response and instead just insist you said safety rules prevent accidents. That is what you are doing when you ignore any answer I give to your claim of magic.
What?

How is it putting on a seatbelt will prevent an accident from happening? You made that claim I can prove it by giving you the exact quote and post. You can only pretend i made the claim and ignore any response.
Then let me correct my self, seatbelts don't prevent accidents.

Is that better?

If it is "left", it is unattended virtually by definition. So it should simply be, "Leaving a gun unsecured, is not covered by any safety rule." Okay. What constitutes "unsecured"?

You are not being either clever or original. I have been asked to define these words many times with nearly all I am debating this with. He has already asked me for the meaning of these words.

And have you given those definitions?

You are not being either clever or original.
Not trying to be. I simply want to clear up any misunderstanding that could be in the ambiguity of language.
I have been asked to define these words many times with nearly all I am debating this with.
I didn't ask you you define them I asked what you mean by them.

Not trying to be. I simply want to clear up any misunderstanding that could be in the ambiguity of language.

Good point. Too often arguments get bogged down in dueling definitions. I was arguing with a guy once who referred to an archaic definition from an 18th century dictionary to try to wiggle out of a statement he had made.

Good point. Too often arguments get bogged down in dueling definitions. I was arguing with a guy once who referred to an archaic definition from an 18th century dictionary to try to wiggle out of a statement he had made.
The reluctance for him to do so suggests dishonesty.

I will sleep better tonight knowing that me having a loaded 9 mm in my nightstand (empty chamber) bothers @soylentgreen.

I, like so many gun owners, pray that I never have to use my gun against an intruder in my home. I have it in the unfortunate event that I will need it, but I sincerely hope that I never do.

So to answer the question in the title of this thread, yes, a gun does make my home safer.

If it is "left", it is unattended virtually by definition. So it should simply be, "Leaving a gun unsecured, is not covered by any safety rule." Okay. What constitutes "unsecured"?
You would think that it is a definition but then I have been debating people who argue that they are magically connected to their gun even when they are not in the same room as the gun. And apparently for others their need to have a loaded gun means that they are never without it even when they are actually without it.

As for unsecured that has already been discussed, Why the need to go over it again.

My question to you is have you never read anything on gun safety that these words need to be explained to you?

You are joking again. Very funny.
You want to clear up any misunderstanding that could be in the ambiguity of language. While at the same time you are asking me not to define a word but instead give the meaning of the word.

You are joking again. Very funny.
You want to clear up any misunderstanding that could be in the ambiguity of language. While at the same time you are asking me not to define a word but instead give the meaning of the word.
I'm not joking.

No I don't want you to define the word I can look it up in the dictionary.

I want to know what you mean by unattended.

Since you won't State what you mean you can answer yes or no to my question on what you mean.

Would you consider a gun unattended if it's on my nightstand while I'm asleep?

I will sleep better tonight knowing that me having a loaded 9 mm in my nightstand (empty chamber) bothers @soylentgreen.

I, like so many gun owners, pray that I never have to use my gun against an intruder in my home. I have it in the unfortunate event that I will need it, but I sincerely hope that I never do.

So to answer the question in the title of this thread, yes, a gun does make my home safer.
Not according to any statistics on the subject.
https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/policy-areas/child-consumer-safety/safe-storage/

And yes, I know you and others will desperately ignore any of the other reasons given and concentrate only on the fact that you do not have a youth in your house or your not thinking of committing suicide. Which does not change the fact that accidents with guns are far more likely than you will ever have to fight off a home invader. You feel safe against something unlikely to happen while ignoring that you set yourself up for an accident that will be more severe than if you had followed safety rules.

I'm not joking.

No I don't want you to define the word I can look it up in the dictionary.

I want to know what you mean by unattended.

Since you won't State what you mean you can answer yes or no to my question on what you mean.

Would you consider a gun unattended if it's on my nightstand while I'm asleep?
Then I would have to define the word unattended to give it a meaning. So what is it you want. For me to give the meaning of a word or to not define the word.

Ok let's go with that. See where you are going with this. If you are asleep you are obviously not using your gun.

Back
Top Bottom