• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:222]World's Thickest Mountain Glacier Is Finally Melting,

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Guess what's to blame.

Climate Change Is 100% to Blame

Massive and meaty, the Taku Glacier in Alaska's Juneau Icefield was a poster child for the frozen places holding their own against climate change. As the largest of 20 major glaciers in the region and one of the single thickest glaciers in the world (it measures 4,860 feet, or 1,480 meters, from surface to floor), Taku had been demonstrably gaining mass and spreading farther into the nearby Taku river for nearly half a century, while all of its neighboring glaciers shrank. Now, it appears those glory days are over.

In a new pair of satellite photos shared by NASA's Earth Observatory, the slow decline of Taku Glacier has finally become apparent.

Aug, 2014
hUhRscinmyWbm7niNs4Mek-1024-80.jpg

Aug, 2019
FggxkYpCrvJMN8PMnfMqKg-650-80.png

Yes, folks, Climate Change is really happening. And, no, folks--the globe is not cooling. :doh

Re: World's Thickest Mountain Glacier Is Finally Melting,

Sshhhhhhh, climate change isn't real. This is because of Obama Deep State.

There was a mile high glacier over my home years ago. Glad it receded, not sure my snowblower could handle it; hate shoveling.

Change is normal. Man cannot control the climate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

And when an iceberg floats by NYC Trump and fellow deniers will point-out "Look, there's no warming. We've got icebergs coming into New York Harbor. It's all a Chinese hoax!"

Guess what's to blame.

Aug, 2014

Aug, 2019

Yes, folks, Climate Change is really happening. And, no, folks--the globe is not cooling. :doh

I believe the story, but...

Those 2 images look exactly the same, except the bottom image is smaller.

Fail?

And when an iceberg floats by NYC Trump and fellow deniers will point-out "Look, there's no warming. We've got icebergs coming into New York Harbor. It's all a Chinese hoax!"

If an iceberg floats by NYC, I don't think the issue will be global warming...………...

Annotation 2019-11-08 085750.jpg

Annotation 2019-11-08 0857501.jpg

I took these pictures myself. I have annotated where the terminus of the glaciers were in 1960. Thus you can easily see the amount of volume lost since then. These are in the Northern Wind River Range, the most glaciated range in the entire American Rockies. They are deep in federal wilderness, and you are looking at a couple of days minimum of off trail walking / climbing for a fit and skilled outdoorsman to get there. On this particular solo trip, I encountered a group of climate researchers that survey the range's larger glaciers every summer. They collect organic material from the toe of the glacier revealed by the melt every summer. By carbon dating that material, they know that the range has not been this warm, nor have glaciers receded to this extent, for the entire Holocene. Similar research, with similar findings, is being done in alpine regions around the world. If one believes that AGW is a conspiracy, then they would have to believe that alpine glaciers around the world are in on it.

This was one of my campsites on that backcountry trip. At 12,000 feet on Goat Flat, a massive area of tundra. Beautiful, but the most inhospitable place I have ever slept. It was cold, had several storms blow in where it sleeted on me, and the wind was so strong you could hardly stand in it at times. I had to pile rocks all around my tent to keep it from being destroyed in the wind.

Capture.jpg

Guess what's to blame.

Aug, 2014

Aug, 2019

It looks like there is more ice in the 2019 photo, and higher levels of river water, making it a bit deceptive. The photos are also not in scale to each other.

@SouthernDemocrat Nice pics.

I just imported the two photos into a program and used landmarks to resize them.

It is still growing. It didn't shrink.

View attachment 67267806

View attachment 67267807

I took these pictures myself. I have annotated where the terminus of the glaciers were in 1960. Thus you can easily see the amount of volume lost since then. These are in the Northern Wind River Range, the most glaciated range in the entire American Rockies. They are deep in federal wilderness, and you are looking at a couple of days minimum of off trail walking / climbing for a fit and skilled outdoorsman to get there. On this particular solo trip, I encountered a group of climate researchers that survey the range's larger glaciers every summer. They collect organic material from the toe of the glacier revealed by the melt every summer. By carbon dating that material, they know that the range has not been this warm, nor have glaciers receded to this extent, for the entire Holocene. Similar research, with similar findings, is being done in alpine regions around the world. If one believes that AGW is a conspiracy, then they would have to believe that alpine glaciers around the world are in on it.

considering that there didn't use to be glaciers there at all i would say that glaciers being there are the anomaly

I believe the story, but...

Those 2 images look exactly the same, except the bottom image is smaller.

Fail?

Agree. In looking at the rocks / islands / landmarks immediately around the perimeter, I see no difference in the profile of the glacier between the two pictures. The second image is indeed lower resolution for some reason, which is the same as the source on livescience.

Don't you love how the lies get regurgitated by those who trust but don't verify?

Here it is on google maps:

Google Maps

Don't know the image date though. They are sometimes two years old or more.

The climate changes and glaciers melt, it's been going on since before humans walked the planet. Don't let them use it to persuade you to pass an energy tax on yourself.

considering that there didn't use to be glaciers there at all i would say that glaciers being there are the anomaly

I think you must be misinformed. That range has been extensively glaciated for it's entire existence.

Annotation 2019-11-08 102103-glacial.jpg

For example, in this picture you are looking down at Down's Lake from No Man's Pass. You will notice that the valley is U shaped, making it a classic glacial carved valley. During the Pleistocene, a massive glacier carved out the entire valley. I have annotated the glacial debris and the walls scoured out by the glacier. Currently, that range is less glaciated than ever before.

Moreover, as I pointed out earlier, one of the ways they can tell glacial extent during the Holocene is by carbon dating material revealed at a glacier's terminus every melt cycle in the late summer. That organic rapidly breaks down once its revealed to the environment, thus, if, as in the case of Dinwoody and Down's Glaciers (pictured in my post above), the organic material dates 11,000 or more, we know that those glaciers have receded more than they have at any point in the entire Holocene.

@SouthernDemocrat Nice pics.

I do a lot of backcountry backpacking / climbing / fly fishing trips every year, but I always do a solo off trail trip in August out to the Wind Rive Range. Pure wilderness, absolutely beautiful. Its one of the finest alpine areas on earth. Would recommend anyone that loves the outdoors visiting it.

Those earlier pics are from the Northern end of the range. The Southern end of it, while less glaciated, is very beautiful as well. I took these last year there:

IMG_20180820_170843.jpgIMG_20180820_112857.jpg

Last edited:

Guess what's to blame.

Aug, 2014

Aug, 2019

At a very high guestimate;

3.25km wide x 1.5km deep x 40 km long.

So if it all melts, an utterly implausable prospect, that is about 1/2 a milimeter of sea level rise.

I think you must be misinformed. That range has been extensively glaciated for it's entire existence.

View attachment 67267813

For example, in this picture you are looking down at Down's Lake from No Man's Pass. You will notice that the valley is U shaped, making it a classic glacial carved valley. During the Pleistocene, a massive glacier carved out the entire valley. I have annotated the glacial debris and the walls scoured out by the glacier. Currently, that range is less glaciated than ever before.

Moreover, as I pointed out earlier, one of the ways they can tell glacial extent during the Holocene is by carbon dating material revealed at a glacier's terminus every melt cycle in the late summer. That organic rapidly breaks down once its revealed to the environment, thus, if, as in the case of Dinwoody and Down's Glaciers (pictured in my post above), the organic material dates 11,000 or more, we know that those glaciers have receded more than they have at any point in the entire Holocene.

The Columbia River used to be "glaciated" as well. Why is that different?

How is this for "U" shape?

Columbia-River-Gorge-Photo-by-Larry-Geddis.jpg

[h=2]Scientists Say[/h][FONT=&quot]Posted on November 8, 2019 by tonyheller[/FONT]
In 1995, the world’s leading climate scientists at the IPCC predicted the demise of skiing.
Five years later, the University of East Anglia said children just won’t know what snow is.

And it has been almost six years since the New York Times announced the end of snow.

Meanwhile, ski areas are having record snowfall.
October snow cover has been above normal for eight consecutive years.

Autumn snow cover has been increasing for 50 years.
The IPCC predicted the exact opposite.
For the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA) model mean, at the end of the 21st century the projected reduction in the annual mean NH snow cover is 13% under the B2 scenario (ACIA, 2004). The individual model projections range from reductions of 9 to 17%. The actual reductions are greatest in spring and late autumn/early winter, indicating a shortened snow cover season (ACIA, 2004).

Back
Top Bottom