• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:220,1256]***Trinitarianism = Polytheism

Re: Trinitarianism = Polytheism

Jesus never claimed to be God because he wasn't. He was a person. The half human, half god idea was meant to appeal to the pagans.

True, pagans were famous for their triune gods...Jesus was divine because he was/is from God but he was/is not God...

In a film, Bill Maher quoted a minister as comparing the Trinity to the three stages of water: ice, liquid and steam (although this metaphor is considered heretical by some Christians).

In a film, Bill Maher quoted a minister as comparing the Trinity to the three stages of water: ice, liquid and steam (although this metaphor is considered heretical by some Christians).

Modalism.

It was intentional. you have to remember that the JW's are a branch of arianism. It was a heresy to deny the divinity of Christ.
you will also realize that she will not post any source that are not JW's as she is not allowed to.

I wouldn't care what they did if they didn't claim to be Christians, they are clearly not.

And , what evidence do you have that this is the case? What objective and tangible evidence do you have that 1) There are higher dimensional levels to begin with, and 2) If the higher dimentional levels exist, the concept of number have no relevance? Can you show this is something other than 'let's make things up'?

She never provides any evidence of her far-fetched claims. Or reply to posts that show her to be wrong.

According to the bible, there is only one god, yet somehow the believers in the trinity seems to think that this god has three different persons, and are distinct as well.

Basic math will tell you that 1+1+1=3, yet trinitarians somehow think it is just one.

This so-called problem has been with Christianity since the very beginning of the religion and it has never been resolved. In fact, it is the reason why there are so many different denominations, its an inherent flaw that makes the trinity unworkable since it has no sound logical basis, and is therefore incompatible with the modern world and basic thinking in general.

The trinity can only work if you believe in 3 gods, and thats polytheism, not monotheism.

Sorry I missed this thread until now. But to have this conversation we are going to have to mash a few subjects, in this case namely theology, philosophy, and history.

On the surface and using today's context you would be right, in terms of how we define monotheism and polytheism. The issue is how New Testament books were written and the language used to record the text trying to explain trinity. Originally we are talking about a mash of largely Greek and some Hebrew and Aramaic, then translated into Latin. In that context, Trinity did not mean three gods but three forms. That word itself is not really used, it was a concept used to explain the text. Granted the original text in the original languages is a bit all over the place but majority speaking the idea of Trinity is "threefold" as a means to explain the idea of a God, a son of a God, and a Holy Spirit. It is not three Gods by their interpretation and idea at the time, it is three forms of the same God.

The rest is simply what is typical of religions, interpretation and expression. Usually falling back to the tried and true idea, "his ways are beyond us."

That the last point is the core reason that all Abrahamic religions eventually splintered. Interpretation and expression. In order Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all splintered in their own ways all due to the basic same reason of how text was recorded, then spread, then interpreted against concepts understood at the time, then translated into some other language, then spread again, then repeat. Theological concepts, basic ideas for the masses, and translation of core text then and now allows for wide ranging interpretation of what religious ideology really means no matter which splinter of whatever religion is followed.

In this case Trinity is a concept to explain yet something else beyond reasonable explanation that the text does not explicit offer reasonable conclusion with. If it was really that explicit we would not see splinter based on that point. But we do.

Our real issue is the arrogant certainty of any splinter of any religion suggesting they are above all others as correct. And that division usually leads to social consequences, namely various degrees of persecution and ultimately loss of life.

Even through that is another conversation, it is still realization enough to amplify the conversation on what Trinity means then or now. I would also agree that concept is a core reason (of several) as to why so many splintered away from Catholicism since we have 100 or more verses speaking to Trinity in some way without calling it that, and 100 or more verses suggesting some other concept other than Trinity. History has recorded since what that splinter did to Christianity, and it also recorded how all of this was interpreted then to now.

That is a lie...look again...:roll:

I don't need to look i have already done the research on this many many times.
You do not believe Christ to be God. Therefore Christ is not God but someone else.
This would in fact cause several huge theological issues with the way that you believe.

it is shown throughout the new testament that Christ himself allows people to worship him.
we can see clearly through out scripture that when a heavenly being was going to be worshiped
they correct the people doing it and told them to stop.

i posted you about 20 different verses that support Christs Deity and claims of who he is.

The watchtower forbids any reading of apostate material what they deem apostate material is any material they do not approve of.
i posted this in the forum straight from the watchtower site itself.

so no lie.

Youve already done that by being here. Do you have a counter argument to what Ive said at all?

Yes...you don't know what you're talking about. And I think you like it better that way. Now let the adults talk.

Yes...you don't know what you're talking about. And I think you like it better that way. Now let the adults talk.

Taking your own advice would be a good idea.

So god has a multiple personality disorder?

God is a spirit and can manifest anyway that it see's fit to do so.
In the bible the holy spirit is seen as a dove or a fire.
God has manifested himself as fire other times as a traveler on a road.

you are trying to bind an omnipotent deity to your limited perception and it doesn't work.

I wouldn't care what they did if they didn't claim to be Christians, they are clearly not.

No they are not and they are not recognized by any organization as christian either.

no. not really. i prefer to use Mind, Will, Emotion.

Ah so you cant refute what I said and instead resort to making personal attacks. I guess nobody is surprised about that. Now are you actually going to stick to the topic or youre just going to be like yourself, as always?

God is a spirit and can manifest anyway that it see's fit to do so.
In the bible the holy spirit is seen as a dove or a fire.
God has manifested himself as fire other times as a traveler on a road.

you are trying to bind an omnipotent deity to your limited perception and it doesn't work.

And one he doesn't believe in anyway. It is impossible to explain how God works to someone doesn't believe in God. No matter what you say, they won't believe you. :shrug: In the meantime, our very own little angry atheist super friends club gets another troll thread.

The concept of a triune God is part of Christian faith for the majority of Christian denominations. It is nothing we can prove, merely something we believe. It really doesn't require justification beyond that - what justification can we offer? There is no logical backup, there is no picture in some FaceBook archive somewhere, there is no "scientific proof" of any of this. It is a passed down belief, and as such is not possible to be debated. We can explain our beliefs, but to do so for someone who merely wishes them committed to an anonymous forum thread for mocking is a pointless exercise.

It is someone who acts as an inbetween between two parties. An, no, it's not a misspell, it's an actual word.

what you posted made not sense. it isn't up to me to dis-jumble your incorrect sentence phrases into something readable.
The Son of God who it also the Son of Man is the mediator.

as the new covenant lies between the Father and the Son.

“Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them”

“For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life” (Romans 5:10

“For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (1 Timothy 2:5).
The only person that God is capable of making a lasting covenant with would be himself.

why?

no one else but him could uphold it.

if you want to doubt the divinity of Christ you are free to do so but it is very much supported.
https://www.tms.edu/blog/11-reasons-affirm-deity-christ/

not that you will read it.

Ah so you cant refute what I said and instead resort to making personal attacks. I guess nobody is surprised about that. Now are you actually going to stick to the topic or youre just going to be like yourself, as always?

That was my refutation. You don't know what you're talking about, and you don't care to. Your premise isn't based on anything more than your own desire to troll. :shrug:

But if you need it spelled out a little clearer, which I'm not sure why you would, since you don't care about the answer anyway, no, belief in a triune god is not polytheism, as can be seen simply in the language used: "a" - singular / "triune" - adjective, denoting three aspects in one - again, singular / "God".

Now, I understand that you don't believe in any of this, so I expect the typical derision one can expect from you in this sub forum...but that's our belief and our understanding. And because it's a belief system, which no one is saying can be proven, that's all the justification that can be given and is required.

And that's pretty much your thread done, in terms of having your question answered.

And one he doesn't believe in anyway. It is impossible to explain how God works to someone doesn't believe in God. No matter what you say, they won't believe you. :shrug: In the meantime, our very own little angry atheist super friends club gets another troll thread.

The concept of a triune God is part of Christian faith for the majority of Christian denominations. It is nothing we can prove, merely something we believe. It really doesn't require justification beyond that - what justification can we offer? There is no logical backup, there is no picture in some FaceBook archive somewhere, there is no "scientific proof" of any of this. It is a passed down belief, and as such is not possible to be debated. We can explain our beliefs, but to do so for someone who merely wishes them committed to an anonymous forum thread for mocking is a pointless exercise.

I don't post to convince those that don't want to be.
there are those that do want to hear and the truth needs to be said.

Jesus Christ is King of Kings and Lord of Lord's.
He is the beginning and the end.

He paved the way from death to life by his own doing and it is free gift for all that would ask.
He gives life to the lifeless, and hope to the hopeless.

He has saved me more times than I can count. He has blessed my life more times than i can count.
even though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil for he is with me.

We are here to proclaim the Good news that the rightful King sits on the thrown and all things are make right.
he heals the broken. Gives Grace when wrath is deserved, shows mercy and kindness to the wicked and righteous alike.

on these things they cannot debate. There is a reason that your testimony is a sword. While they can argue with the bible.
they cannot argue with your testimony.

There were so many times when i was younger and still working and busting my butt that we were like i just need 50 bucks to get me through
the week. sure enough i would get a call. hey can you come fix a computer issue for me? or someone else would need some work done on something.

he has always been there for me from when i moved from state to state to now. my only regret is that i did not seek him more than what i have.

That was my refutation. You don't know what you're talking about, and you don't care to. Your premise isn't based on anything more than your own desire to troll. :shrug:
Oh the irony.

I was debating someone who claimed that god has three personalities, so this isnt about me, if you want to start your own thread go ahead.

But if you need it spelled out a little clearer, which I'm not sure why you would, since you don't care about the answer anyway, no, belief in a triune god is not polytheism, as can be seen simply in the language used: "a" - singular / "triune" - adjective, denoting three aspects in one - again, singular / "God".
According to Judaism and Islam, a single god is indivisible, so once again youre wrong.

And if its three aspects, then a single god has three personalities- therefore a sign of mental illness. Most people with a basic education would have figured this out from my first reply.

I don't post to convince those that don't want to be.
there are those that do want to hear and the truth needs to be said.

Jesus Christ is King of Kings and Lord of Lord's.
He is the beginning and the end.

He paved the way from death to life by his own doing and it is free gift for all that would ask.
He gives life to the lifeless, and hope to the hopeless.

He has saved me more times than I can count. He has blessed my life more times than i can count.
even though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil for he is with me.

We are here to proclaim the Good news that the rightful King sits on the thrown and all things are make right.
he heals the broken. Gives Grace when wrath is deserved, shows mercy and kindness to the wicked and righteous alike.

on these things they cannot debate. There is a reason that your testimony is a sword. While they can argue with the bible.
they cannot argue with your testimony.

There were so many times when i was younger and still working and busting my butt that we were like i just need 50 bucks to get me through
the week. sure enough i would get a call. hey can you come fix a computer issue for me? or someone else would need some work done on something.

he has always been there for me from when i moved from state to state to now. my only regret is that i did not seek him more than what i have.

Go on do your thing, then... We all have our job to do. Just remember, even Christ tossed the temple. It's ok to have limits and expectations. Thanks for sharing...even if it's like pouring good whiskey in the toilet by posting it in a PoS thread.

Oh the irony.

I was debating someone who claimed that god has three personalities, so this isnt about me, if you want to start your own thread go ahead.

According to Judaism and Islam, a single god is indivisible, so once again youre wrong.

And if its three aspects, then a single god has three personalities- therefore a sign of mental illness. Most people with a basic education would have figured this out from my first reply.

Yup...your usual garbage. This is why I don't respond seriously to you. You're not worth it.

Yup...your usual garbage. This is why I don't respond seriously to you. You're not worth it.

Ah so you cant refute me. Your surrender is noted.

Ah so you cant refute me. Your surrender is noted.

he did refute you the issue is that you don't know what you are talking about or don't care to learn why you are wrong.
The fact is you can point someone in the right direction the problem become when you tell them to go left and you go right.

you then find yourself back where you started and you yell at the person because you chose to go right when they said to go left.
that is what you are doing here.

What is the Trinity

not that you will understand the link. it will go over your head and you are not here for honest discussion.
olnate is correct and you are wrong, but you will continue to yell at the sky that you are right.

I don't need to look i have already done the research on this many many times.
You do not believe Christ to be God. Therefore Christ is not God but someone else.
This would in fact cause several huge theological issues with the way that you believe.

it is shown throughout the new testament that Christ himself allows people to worship him.
we can see clearly through out scripture that when a heavenly being was going to be worshiped
they correct the people doing it and told them to stop.

i posted you about 20 different verses that support Christs Deity and claims of who he is.

The watchtower forbids any reading of apostate material what they deem apostate material is any material they do not approve of.
i posted this in the forum straight from the watchtower site itself.

so no lie.

Yes, it is a lie...I post links to articles and videos all the time outside of JW.org...even in this very thread...

Back
Top Bottom