• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:208]Why do atheists and theists debate ?

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Religious debating is quite popular in debate forums, Whether you be atheist, theist, some other skeptic or other belief....Why do you personally debate matters of religion in chat rooms? What are your motivations, intent, and goals that compels you to engage in religious debate ?

Re: Why do atheists and theists debate ?

Religious debating is quite popular in debate forums, Whether you be atheist, theist, some other skeptic or other belief....Why do you personally debate matters of religion in chat rooms? What are your motivations, intent, and goals that compels you to engage in religious debate ?

The mental hoops that the religious have to jump through interests me.

To fight the good fight.

To be in the right.

To give bullies a fright.

To engender delight.

The mental hoops that the religious have to jump through interests me.

I find the 'my God's better than your God' thing to be entertaining at times.

I find the 'my God's better than your God' thing to be entertaining at times.

The bible is true because because the bible is true is entertaining too. Plus the fact that it is full of mistakes and contradictions.

I used to debate gods-based religions quite a bit years ago. I did it because I was recovering from 20 years of evangelical Christianity and I needed to be able to do so freely. I cannot really discuss my lack of beliefs with locals in my area as I live in the rural bible belt of the south, so off to forums I went.

I do not debate supernatural religions much anymore as I have moved on to the other religion called "politics".

You have been lucky not to have those that believe, tell you that you too...need to be 'saved.'

The religious often do not leave you alone, seek to change govt. and schooling according to [their] religious beliefs.

Religion deprived Europe 1000 years of science and [they] are still at it when looking at stem cell use and research, for starters.

1, It is the general duty of all of us to oppose bad thinking that will result, or is resulting, in massive suffering across the world.

2, It is always an easy ego boost to destroy some other position and this is like shooting fish in a barrel.

You have been lucky not to have those that believe, tell you that you too...need to be 'saved.'

The religious often do not leave you alone, seek to change govt. and schooling according to [their] religious beliefs.

Religion deprived Europe 1000 years of science and [they] are still at it when looking at stem cell use and research, for starters.

I wasn't here 10 minutes before I was told I was going to hell......:lol: true story

To fight the good fight.

To be in the right.

To give bullies a fright.

To engender delight.

But you are not in the right because of your beliefs.

The religious fight is not the good fight.

Many bullies, bully non-believers.

I know of no delight from religion or being told I am somehow morally defective..until I do.

I wasn't here 10 minutes before I was told I was going to hell......:lol: true story

Well we are both in luck, there...is no hell.

Well we are both in luck, there...is no hell.

I got booted from my own Lutheran confirmation for telling the church elders and Pastor that very thing. The entire fiasco was quite humorous, although mom fell out of her chair.

It helps me organize my thoughts, because you have to spell out every tiny detail for atheists. If you don't dot an "i" they will complain about that. So my arguments become very careful. But occasionally one of them does have an interesting point, and that causes me to go more in depth with my research, to find good answers. I have learned a lot from about 20 years of debating atheists online.

It helps me organize my thoughts, because you have to spell out every tiny detail for atheists. If you don't dot an "i" they will complain about that. So my arguments become very careful. But occasionally one of them does have an interesting point, and that causes me to go more in depth with my research, to find good answers. I have learned a lot from about 20 years of debating atheists online.

You still have a long way to go.

Do you think atheists,in general, are more rude to theists than vice versa?

The religious try, by hook or by crook, to impose their idiocies on society and must be opposed. Tedious work but someone has to do it.

Do you think atheists,in general, are more rude to theists than vice versa?

We do our best to explain the tiny details to her.

Just for clarity; Spelling is not that important. If somebody cmplains anbout it they actually know they have already lost.

But the care and focus on using words precisely is very important. It is indeed, as you say, very helpful in getting better thinking out of ourselves.

Slow thinking vs quick thinking.

Radio host with the instant comeback, never uncool, never flustered, a quick thinker.

Einstein, thoght about the nature of time for many years, slow thinker.

Stopping and actually thinking about it good. Going into meditation and hypnotising yourself bad.

I think theists don't understand that they are being vastly rude when they do so.

I think 'some',emphasis on 'some', seem to think atheists are less moral simply because we reject religious claims.Some seem to just have an irrational disdain for non-believers for no valid reason. That I don't understand

I think 'some',emphasis on 'some', seem to think atheists are less moral simply because we reject religious claims.Some seem to just have an irrational disdain for non-believers for no valid reason. That I don't understand

It's not a matter of rejection, it's asking for proof of the claims. That seems to annoy some believers.

I think you're right about this....but you gotta pick your atheists...something I'm sure I don't need to tell you after you've been debating them for 20 years. ;)

I would say the majority of my friends are atheist (I expect a lot of folks who identify as a left leaning Christian would say the same). Some of them are really respectful about it, and we have long discussions that don't end in either side leaving angry. Other friends and I have come to the conclusion that it's best to stay away from religious discussions. Others are no longer friends because they couldn't respect that.

It's not a matter of what we each believe, its a matter of being able to show each other respect despite disagreements. Most atheists I've met are cool with that....but, as even some here freely admit, there are a few who just like to get their jollies acting superior through applying logic methodologies to faith issues. While it might be fun to get into a brawl with those folks, there's no actual point to it. :shrug: :)

It's not a matter of rejection, it's asking for proof of the claims. That seems to annoy some believers.

That can make them a little nervous. proof is at a premium on matters of religion.

It is understandable in the way of dividing people into us and them. To put yourself into a group leads to a very intense sense of security. The more harsh your interactions with the others outside are the more the group makes sense.

It is understandable in the way of dividing people into us and them. To put yourself into a group leads to a very intense sense of security. The more harsh your interactions with the others outside are the more the group makes sense.

And they don't seem to understand that atheists are not an organized group.

Back
Top Bottom