• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 206] [W:97]Good guy with a gun

re: [W:97]Good guy with a gun

Is there something interesting there? The UK banned all handguns, which weren't in common use by anyone, including criminals. It's a totally different national culture....

Bingo, the UK banned hand guns in 1996, semi-auto long guns in 1988, fully auto guns in 1968.

Are you saying that the gun culture in the USA is so bad, the law is powerless to reverse it let alone stop the thousands of gun deaths per year...hundreds of mass shootings per year ?

...how many people have the Russian police killed?

Are you also saying that the USA has descended to being more like Russia than the UK...or Canada...or Australia...any any country in Western Europe ?

Bingo, the UK banned hand guns in 1996, semi-auto long guns in 1988, fully auto guns in 1968.

Are you saying that the gun culture in the USA is so bad, the law is powerless to reverse it let alone stop the thousands of gun deaths per year...hundreds of mass shootings per year ?

No, I'm saying that our criminal culture is vastly different from that of the UK.

Are you also saying that the USA has descended to being more like Russia than the UK...or Canada...or Australia...any any country in Western Europe ?

The Commonwealth countries you mention have never had the levels of violence that the US has had from the beginning of the country. I doubt any country in Western Europe has, either. The criminal culture in the US is much closer to that of Russia than to any Commonwealth or Western European country.

No, I'm saying that our criminal culture is vastly different from that of the UK....

Why would that be ?

Are you saying the UK is a less violent place ???

...the Commonwealth countries you mention have never had the levels of violence that the US has had from the beginning of the country. I doubt any country in Western Europe has, either. The criminal culture in the US is much closer to that of Russia than to any Commonwealth or Western European country.

The USA didn't have the levels of gun violence it has now back in the 60's and 70's

Why does the USA have so much gun violence whilst the UK does not.

Why is the "culture" so different?

It's actually quite sobering for a gun supporter to openly admit that the gun culture in the USA has brought the country down to the level of countries like Russia.

Are you saying that the gun problem in the USA is now out of control and cannot be reversed by legal means ?

Why would that be ?

Are you saying the UK is a less violent place ???

I'm saying that the UK is a less murderous place, and has been for decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate_by_decade

The USA didn't have the levels of gun violence it has now back in the 60's and 70's

Really? The homicide rate in the 60s and 70s was higher than we've had in this decade.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2017

Why does the USA have so much gun violence whilst the UK does not.

Why is the "culture" so different?

Centuries of being peasants have brought the UK to where it is.

It's actually quite sobering for a gun supporter to openly admit that the gun culture in the USA has brought the country down to the level of countries like Russia.

We've always been violent. Russia just starting getting violent, and that's with gun control that's much, much closer to that of the UK and Australia than to the US.

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/russia.php

Are you saying that the gun problem in the USA is now out of control and cannot be reversed by legal means ?

If we continue to ignore the enforcement of current gun laws, new guns laws cannot solve the problem either.

You've already admitted, multiple times, that unless the 2nd Amendment is overturned that the gun laws in the UK and Australia cannot be imposed on the US.

As far as "out of control", we are now at homicide rate levels we haven't seen since the 1950s.

Good Guy With Gun Shot By Cops

Damn.

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/11/multip...9d31&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

After security asked a group of drunken men to leave Manny’s Blue Room Bar around 4 a.m. Sunday, witnesses said someone came back with a gun and opened fire. Security returned fire, and according to witnesses, 26-year-old armed security guard Jemel Roberson apprehended one of the men involved outside.

"He had somebody on the ground with his knee in back, with his gun in his back like, 'Don’t move,'" witness Adam Harris said.

Soon after, witnesses said, an officer responding to the scene fired at Roberson — killing him.

Roberson was black.

The NRA on this? Crickets as of yet.

Re: Good Guy With Gun Shot By Cops

These kinds of stories make me sick.

I read one similar where a home invader was caught by the home owner, latino guy, who had him on the ground with a gun.
Wife was on the phone with 911, letting them know over and over and over that it was her HUSBAND that had the gun, her husband.
They shot his ass anyway multiple times as he's screaming "what's going on!!!!"

These kinds of stories make me sick.

I read one similar where a home invader was caught by the home owner, latino guy, who had him on the ground with a gun.
Wife was on the phone with 911, letting them know over and over and over that it was her HUSBAND that had the gun, her husband.
They shot his ass anyway multiple times as he's screaming "what's going on!!!!"

I think it's pretty obvious what is going on. Hence Football players were taking a knee for the National Anthem.

aef.jpg

I think it's pretty obvious what is going on. Hence Football players were taking a knee for the National Anthem.

It would better help their cause if they protested without disrespecting Americans and the Flag...

It would better help their cause if they protested without disrespecting Americans and the Flag...

They aren't disrespecting the flag. Your uneducated opinion is noted.

They aren't disrespecting the flag. Your uneducated opinion is noted.

By kneeling during the anthem they are 100% disrespecting not only the flag but the anthem and Americans...

You inability to understand context is noted.

By kneeling during the anthem they are 100% disrespecting not only the flag but the anthem and Americans...

So if kneeling is disresepctful, you must get upset at all the church goers kneeling in church.

Fact: If it was disrespecting they wanted, they would be actually standing on the flag, not kneeling in front of it. Your uneducated opinion noted once again.

So if kneeling is disresepctful, you must get upset at all the church goers kneeling in church.

Like I said.. you do not understand context. They are kneeling for a protest. They are protesting about how America treats it's black people. They are protesting during the anthem and at the flag. People have told them, repeatedly, that this is disrespectful because of WHEN they are protesting... during the anthem.

Imagine I decided to protest by kneeling when the bride is coming down the aisle and everybody else is standing... or how about dozens kneel when the tradition is to stand and that she KNOWS that we are kneeling in a protest. That is disrespectful. Just how it is.

Same with the anthem protest. They could kneel in protest almost any other time... I bet they are not doing it when their coaches are telling them to run laps because they would get fired... they are not doing it when a judge enters the courtroom because that could be contempt... anyway... context.

Fact: If it was disrespecting they wanted, they would be actually standing on the flag, not kneeling in front of it. Your uneducated opinion noted once again.

Not only am I more educated than you (I would bet) but my understanding of this issue far exceeds yours... again, you don't know **** about context... disrespect can come in a number of ways, not standing, burning, standing on, turning upside down, etc.

I'm a military veteran, and I don't think they are disrespecting either the flag or the anthem. If they were sitting, yes; talking, yes; walking around, sure. The idea of kneeling came from a military veteran, you know.

Like I said.. you do not understand context. They are kneeling for a protest. They are protesting about how America treats it's black people. They are protesting during the anthem and at the flag. People have told them, repeatedly, that this is disrespectful because of WHEN they are protesting... during the anthem.

Imagine I decided to protest by kneeling when the bride is coming down the aisle and everybody else is standing... or how about dozens kneel when the tradition is to stand and that she KNOWS that we are kneeling in a protest. That is disrespectful. Just how it is.

Same with the anthem protest. They could kneel in protest almost any other time... I bet they are not doing it when their coaches are telling them to run laps because they would get fired... they are not doing it when a judge enters the courtroom because that could be contempt... anyway... context.

They are not protesting that America is a Democratic Republic, they are not protesting that women have the right to vote, they are not protesting that blacks can vote, they are not protesting that people have a voice, they are not protesting the laws, they are PROTESTING that the laws are being enforced UNEVENLY. Thagt isn't against America in fact that is what America stands for in the fact that all Americans are supposed to be treated equal and they are not right now.

Not only am I more educated than you (I would bet) but my understanding of this issue far exceeds yours... again, you don't know **** about context... disrespect can come in a number of ways, not standing, burning, standing on, turning upside down, etc.

You have only shown you are not more educated, you are just more ignorant. They are not disrespecting the flag, they are showing the disrespect that the justice system is showing.

I'm a military veteran, and I don't think they are disrespecting either the flag or the anthem. If they were sitting, yes; talking, yes; walking around, sure. The idea of kneeling came from a military veteran, you know.

All Americans have a say in this matter, not just military (not that you intended that).

It is not the kneeling... it is the kneeling in protest to a nation during the anthem that is disrespectful. It is purposeful.

Talking could just be an error in judgment.. sitting could be ignorance. If you told a person that was sitting that it was disrespectful I bet they would stand or make it clear that they didn't care... this is different. It is on purpose.

They are not protesting that America is a Democratic Republic, they are not protesting that women have the right to vote, they are not protesting that blacks can vote, they are not protesting that people have a voice, they are not protesting the laws, they are PROTESTING that the laws are being enforced UNEVENLY. Thagt isn't against America in fact that is what America stands for in the fact that all Americans are supposed to be treated equal and they are not right now.

You have only shown you are not more educated, you are just more ignorant. They are not disrespecting the flag, they are showing the disrespect that the justice system is showing.

This is getting tedious... if they were doing that then they would go to the Courts and kneel in protest... but they are not doing that. They are protesting during the anthem and regarding why they are protesting you could not be any more ignorant if you tried...

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." - Kaepernick

You are dismissed...

This is getting tedious... if they were doing that then they would go to the Courts and kneel in protest... but they are not doing that. They are protesting during the anthem and regarding why they are protesting you could not be any more ignorant if you tried...

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." - Kaepernick

You are dismissed...

Yes, he was protesting the fact that the justice system has FAILED the black people. You're dismissed. And frankly you have shown your utter ignorance of what the flag represents.

That does not make much sense...
Apologies. I was going for succinct.

No, not disrespecting Americans and no, not disrespecting our national flag.

Better?

To be candid, for MOST police shootings killing the other person I'm glad that is how it turned out. Glad that person is no longer preying upon we-the-people and glad we aren't spending a million dollars to try and house the criminal for life.

This thread seems to assume all lethal police shootings are a bad thing and I greatly disagree. Only wrongful police shootings are a bad thing. That means for most police shooting the outcome was perfect.

Well the criticism here is that if an innocent person has a gun, the cops might shoot him. But I still say thats a better alternative than being defenseless.

Here’s the reality of the ‘good guy with a gun’ theory...

Bad guy gets shot by good guy, then cops come by and shoot good guy.

Officer shoots, kills armed security guard outside south suburban bar – WGN-TV

Just like the laughable concept that having more armed people in the Thousand Oaks bar would have somehow been a good thing, you can see that in reality, proliferating guns just make things more dangerous for everyone.

Hundreds of thousands of lives are saved by guns every year. You can only come up with one, freak mishap. I'll keep my guns, but thanks.

Back
Top Bottom