• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 206] [W:97]Good guy with a gun

re: [W:97]Good guy with a gun

Go ahead and get killed by the cops then...you won't be alone.

US cops kill hundreds of people a year - in 2014 they killed over 1100....as you draw your last breath you can (briefly) reflect on how you've done more than 99% of other Americans....and then die.

The rest of us can take cover and enjoy the holiday season this year.

Thanks.

And a happy holidays to you as well.

Where do you get your numbers from? For 2014 CDC only showed 515 legal intervention homicides.

Post #8762 on the Democracy V Republic thread in the US Constitution section:

Numbers of People Killed by US Police:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.aabe3092bbfc

2018: 830 (so far)
2017: 987

In 2014 US police killed over 1100 (about 3 people per DAY):

Police in the US Kill Citizens at Over 70 Times the Rate of Other First-World Nations

In 2014 (where US police killed 1100+ people):
Canadian police killed 14 people
British police killed 1 person (same as in 2013 Btw)
German police killed 0 people (same as in 2013)
Icelandic police killed 0 people (in fact they've only every killed 1 person ... EVER)
Chinese police killed 12 people (with a population 4.5 times larger than the USA)

Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people

"...from 2010 through 2014, there were 4 fatal police shootings in England, which has a population of about 52 million. By contrast, Albuquerque, N.M., with a population 1 percent the size of England’s, had 26 fatal police shootings in that same time period..."

Police in the US Kill Citizens at Over 70 Times the Rate of Other First-World Nations.

All rights are a choice not an obligation.

Got into this esp. on a thread about assisted suicide.

It came down to: the state has the obligation to not allow you to violate your own right to life :roll:

Subjective.

Definitely. The specific topic is whether there is a legal duty to defend anyone, whether or not at your own risk. The answer is no. However, there MAY be an ethical duty to do so.

It came down to: the state has the obligation to not allow you to violate your own right to life :roll:

There are a lot of people who attempt suicide and fail...and greatly appreciate their failure.

Just something to consider.

Police in the US Kill Citizens at Over 70 Times the Rate of Other First-World Nations

Icelandic police killed 0 people (in fact they've only every killed 1 person ... EVER)
Chinese police killed 12 people (with a population 4.5 times larger than the USA)

Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people

"...from 2010 through 2014, there were 4 fatal police shootings in England, which has a population of about 52 million. By contrast, Albuquerque, N.M., with a population 1 percent the size of England’s, had 26 fatal police shootings in that same time period..."

Police in the US Kill Citizens at Over 70 Times the Rate of Other First-World Nations.

We sure wouldn't want to count Chinese executions, would we? And definitely not countries in our own hemisphere. Cherry picking is WAY too much fun.

Gotta love 43,000,000 1st generation immigrants in the USA, birthright citizenship and the ACLU, huh?

There are a lot of people who attempt suicide and fail...and greatly appreciate their failure.

Off topic, but worth discussing.

Would have to be a new thread somewhere. Like Law and Order.

And a happy holidays to you as well.

I'd wish you the same, but you're about to get yourself killed doing something more important that 99% of Americans ever do.

Please advise where I can send my seasons greetings to in your late absence.

The only people who fail are people who wanted to fail.

All authoritarian policy is based on 'greater good'. Some of it I agree. I don't think we can 'greater good' an individual making that choice under reasonable circumstances.

Definitely. The specific topic is whether there is a legal duty to defend anyone, whether or not at your own risk. The answer is no. However, there MAY be an ethical duty to do so.

I was at a bar when the subject arose. Anyone would prevent a rape, of course, we stipulated. A young man, a day worker from town, said "what if it means you're next". We were all pretty quick to give him a pass.

We sure wouldn't want to count Chinese executions, would we? And definitely not countries in our own hemisphere. Cherry picking...

Yeah, you might want to get a new atlas.

Last time I checked the USA was in the Western Hemisphere...along with Canada, UK, Iceland, Germany...

But go ahead...you probably can think of countries a lot more similar to the USA. I know, how about Australia ? Not the same hemisphere I know....

Your first link doesn't work; your second link claims that the data from the FBI and CDC is staggeringly inaccurate and provides data from "citizen run" websites.

Your first link doesn't work; your second link claims that the data from the FBI and CDC is staggeringly inaccurate and provides data from "citizen run" websites.

Sorry, that's what you get when you copy and paste a whole post.

Here it is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/police-shootings-2018/?utm_term=.5f46df8355e1

At least you tried to read it.

Which figures do you not believe ?

The Albuquerque, NM v England stat is pretty interesting.

I'd wish you the same, but you're about to get yourself killed doing something more important that 99% of Americans ever do.

Please advise where I can send my seasons greetings to in your late absence.

Happy Holidays isn't good enough? No one wants your greetings; what the hell.

Happy Holidays isn't good enough? No one wants your greetings; what the hell.

OK Mr No-one have it your way.

Merry Christmas anyway because unlike you liberals, I'm not ashamed to say "CHRISTMAS".

Sorry, that's what you get when you copy and paste a whole post.

Here it is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/police-shootings-2018/?utm_term=.5f46df8355e1

At least you tried to read it.

Which figures do you not believe ?

The Albuquerque, NM v England stat is pretty interesting.

Not a WP subscriber, so I couldn't get more than 2 seconds worth of data from the link. Since I can't access it, I can't answer your questions. I can understand how the FBI database, dependent upon input from the states, could be low. I'm not sure where CDC collects their data.

OK Mr No-one have it your way.

Merry Christmas anyway because unlike you liberals, I'm not ashamed to say "CHRISTMAS".

"You liberals". haha

Not a WP subscriber, so I couldn't get more than 2 seconds worth of data from the link. Since I can't access it, I can't answer your questions. I can understand how the FBI database, dependent upon input from the states, could be low. I'm not sure where CDC collects their data.

Whats the alternative? Bad guy shoots everyone till cops show up? I would rather take my chances with the cops than a crazy pyscho murderer. Proliferating guns to responsible people makes things safer FOR ME.

To be candid, for MOST police shootings killing the other person I'm glad that is how it turned out. Glad that person is no longer preying upon we-the-people and glad we aren't spending a million dollars to try and house the criminal for life.

This thread seems to assume all lethal police shootings are a bad thing and I greatly disagree. Only wrongful police shootings are a bad thing. That means for most police shooting the outcome was perfect.

If police confront an armed criminal shooting, robbing, or threatening to shoot anyone this is exactly what I want police to do: "Kill him."

Sure that is simplistic, but then I'm a simple minded guy on things like that. ;)

And your point is that criminals are safer in England?

Is there something interesting there? The UK banned all handguns, which weren't in common use by anyone, including criminals. It's a totally different national culture.

How many people have the Russian police killed?

To be candid, for MOST police shootings killing the other person I'm glad that is how it turned out. Glad that person is no longer preying upon we-the-people and glad we aren't spending a million dollars to try and house the criminal for life.

This thread seems to assume all lethal police shootings are a bad thing and I greatly disagree. Only wrongful police shootings are a bad thing. That means for most police shooting the outcome was perfect.

Yeah you're fine with police shooing suspects as they attempt to run away...

If a man in the USA pulls a knife on US police, they shoot him dead....because they're so de-sensitized to gun violence.

Here's how a police force with respect for human life does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mzPj_IaMzY

Back
Top Bottom