• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 206] [W:97]Good guy with a gun

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Here’s the reality of the ‘good guy with a gun’ theory...

Bad guy gets shot by good guy, then cops come by and shoot good guy.

Officer shoots, kills armed security guard outside south suburban bar – WGN-TV

Just like the laughable concept that having more armed people in the Thousand Oaks bar would have somehow been a good thing, you can see that in reality, proliferating guns just make things more dangerous for everyone.

re: [W:97]Good guy with a gun

Just like the laughable concept that having more armed people in the Thousand Oaks bar would have somehow been a good thing, you can see that in reality, proliferating guns just make things more dangerous for everyone.

South Carolina, June 2016
“Deputies said 32-year-old Jody Ray Thompson pulled out a gun after getting into an argument with another man and fired several rounds toward a crowd that had gathered out in front of the club.
"His rounds struck three victims, and almost struck a fourth victim, who in self-defense, pulled his own weapon and fired, striking Thompson in the leg," Lt. Kevin Bobo said.
Bobo said the man who shot Thompson has a valid concealed weapons permit, cooperated with investigators, and won’t be facing any charges.
"Thompson was still on the scene when deputies arrived, but the initial scene was chaotic," Bobo said. "It wasn’t until victims and witnesses were interviewed, and video from the scene was reviewed that Thompson was identified as the suspect."
Thompson was charged with four counts of attempted murder, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, and unlawful carrying of a weapon.”

Chicago, April 2015.
Authorities say no charges will be filed against an Uber driver who shot and wounded a gunman who opened fire on a crowd of people in Logan Square over the weekend.
The driver had a concealed-carry permit and acted in the defense of himself and others, Assistant State's Attorney Barry Quinn said in court Sunday.
A group of people had been walking in front of the driver around 11:50 p.m. Friday in the 2900 block of North Milwaukee Avenue when Everardo Custodio, 22, began firing into the crowd, Quinn said.
The driver pulled out a handgun and fired six shots at Custodio, hitting him several times, according to court records. Responding officers found Custodio lying on the ground, bleeding, Quinn said. No other injuries were reported.

March
Philadelphia, March 2015
Police say a man likely saved the lives of several people when he shot and killed a gunman inside a West Philadelphia barbershop. A 40-year-old man was inside Falah Barber Shop Inc. on the 600 block of Preston Street shortly before 3 p.m. Sunday when police say he began fighting with another person inside. "They were arguing," said 16-year-old Yusaf Mack who was a customer inside the shop at the time. "They were taking it too far and one of the barbers said, 'chill out.'"

The fight quickly escalated and the 40-year-old man took out his gun and opened fire on customers and barbers, police said. "I heard gunshots so I ducked and I ran," said Mack. As he was shooting, another man outside heard the gunfire, ran into the shop and took out his own gun, according to investigators. He then opened fire, striking the 40-year-old man once in the chest. "He just shot him and when he was done shooting he ran," Mack said.

The 40-year-old man was taken to Presbyterian Hospital where he later died from his injuries. Police have not yet revealed his identity. Police said there were children inside the shop at the time but no one else was hurt.

Yep, blame the victim for the actions of police engaging in state sponsored murder. The fact that armed security stopped the attacker did not "make things more dangerous for everyone" - that happened when police arrived and 'took charge'.

"Heroes only get themselves killed. It's best if everyone cowers and runs."

No. Be a hero. If the cops kill you, you've still done more with your life than 99% of people.

gun banners always pretend Good people with guns is even worse than criminals with guns

No. Be a hero. If the cops kill you, you've still done more with your life than 99% of people.

plus your family will never want for financial security again

Yep. I got into a fight with someone on Spacebattles over insisting I have a right to die defending my family from state-sponsored assassins. I was even agreeing with them but then they made it personal and said I was threatening my own family. I'm virtually all but done with internet forums, but at the moment I have nobody to talk to hence why I am still here in the first place. (And there are some genuinely intelligent and kind people here, even ones I disagree with on virtually everything).

Yep. I got into a fight with someone on Spacebattles over insisting I have a right to die defending my family from state-sponsored assassins. I was even agreeing with them but then they made it personal and said I was threatening my own family. I'm virtually all but done with internet forums, but at the moment I have nobody to talk to hence why I am still here in the first place. (And there are some genuinely intelligent and kind people here, even ones I disagree with on virtually everything).

All rights are a choice not an obligation.

Yep, when "trained professionals" kill the wrong guy it is important that only they (and criminals) have guns.

So dont carry. No one will make you carry. Solved.

Yep, when "trained professionals" kill the wrong guy it is important that only they (and criminals) have guns.

Cops ain't perfect. That's life. Man's still gotta do what he gotta.

South Carolina, June 2016
“Deputies said 32-year-old Jody Ray Thompson pulled out a gun after getting into an argument with another man and fired several rounds toward a crowd that had gathered out in front of the club.
"His rounds struck three victims, and almost struck a fourth victim, who in self-defense, pulled his own weapon and fired, striking Thompson in the leg," Lt. Kevin Bobo said.
Bobo said the man who shot Thompson has a valid concealed weapons permit, cooperated with investigators, and won’t be facing any charges.
"Thompson was still on the scene when deputies arrived, but the initial scene was chaotic," Bobo said. "It wasn’t until victims and witnesses were interviewed, and video from the scene was reviewed that Thompson was identified as the suspect."
Thompson was charged with four counts of attempted murder, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, and unlawful carrying of a weapon.”

Chicago, April 2015.
Authorities say no charges will be filed against an Uber driver who shot and wounded a gunman who opened fire on a crowd of people in Logan Square over the weekend.
The driver had a concealed-carry permit and acted in the defense of himself and others, Assistant State's Attorney Barry Quinn said in court Sunday.
A group of people had been walking in front of the driver around 11:50 p.m. Friday in the 2900 block of North Milwaukee Avenue when Everardo Custodio, 22, began firing into the crowd, Quinn said.
The driver pulled out a handgun and fired six shots at Custodio, hitting him several times, according to court records. Responding officers found Custodio lying on the ground, bleeding, Quinn said. No other injuries were reported.

March
Philadelphia, March 2015
Police say a man likely saved the lives of several people when he shot and killed a gunman inside a West Philadelphia barbershop. A 40-year-old man was inside Falah Barber Shop Inc. on the 600 block of Preston Street shortly before 3 p.m. Sunday when police say he began fighting with another person inside. "They were arguing," said 16-year-old Yusaf Mack who was a customer inside the shop at the time. "They were taking it too far and one of the barbers said, 'chill out.'"

The fight quickly escalated and the 40-year-old man took out his gun and opened fire on customers and barbers, police said. "I heard gunshots so I ducked and I ran," said Mack. As he was shooting, another man outside heard the gunfire, ran into the shop and took out his own gun, according to investigators. He then opened fire, striking the 40-year-old man once in the chest. "He just shot him and when he was done shooting he ran," Mack said.

The 40-year-old man was taken to Presbyterian Hospital where he later died from his injuries. Police have not yet revealed his identity. Police said there were children inside the shop at the time but no one else was hurt.

Oooh, dude. The anti-gun mob hates when people present facts refuting their efforts to ban guns.

Cops ain't perfect. That's life. Man's still gotta do what he gotta.

I agree but 'gun control' (and murder?) laws seem to require (include?) exceptions to exempt cops (even former and off duty). It was only the state authority and possession of a gun that allowed this murder to occur - if it ever advances from the 'internal investigation' stage to criminal charges is doubtful.

Although armed citizens vastly outnumber armed police, an innocent person is 6 times more likely to be mistakenly shot and killed by police. Armed citizens are far less likely to shoot unless certain and even then rarely shoot the other person 5, 10, 15 times.

The fact is that you are safer near an armed citizen than an armed police officer - and you are very safe near an armed police officer.

People need to remember a simple rule: Regardless of why you are holding it, when you see police instantly drop any firearm you are holding and put your hands over your head, palms towards the police, unless you have time to hit the ground face down and spread eagle, arms forward ahead of you and no gun near you. You'll be fine if you do that.

All rights are a choice not an obligation.

Other than there may be an ethical obligation.

I agree but 'gun control' (and murder?) laws seem to require (include?) exceptions to exempt cops (even former and off duty). It was only the state authority and possession of a gun that allowed this murder to occur - if it ever advances from the 'internal investigation' stage to criminal charges is doubtful.

A mistake on the job is different than an unforced error.

Although armed citizens vastly outnumber armed police, an innocent person is 6 times more likely to be mistakenly shot and killed by police. Armed citizens are far less likely to shoot unless certain and even then rarely shoot the other person 5, 10, 15 times.

The fact is that you are safer near an armed citizen than an armed police officer - and you are very safe near an armed police officer.

People need to remember a simple rule: Regardless of why you are holding it, when you see police instantly drop any firearm you are holding and put your hands over your head, palms towards the police, unless you have time to hit the ground face down and spread eagle, arms forward ahead of you and no gun near you. You'll be fine if you do that.

Police are dealing with potentially deadly situations where the bad guys have guns on a daily basis. Armed citizens, not so much.
As for good guys with guns, Marine vets have to be right up near the top of the "good guys with guns" tree, until they open fire on country music fans..

I'm not so sure. It was more dangerous because police shot the wrong person.

Whats the alternative? Bad guy shoots everyone till cops show up? I would rather take my chances with the cops than a crazy pyscho murderer. Proliferating guns to responsible people makes things safer FOR ME.

Police are dealing with potentially deadly situations where the bad guys have guns on a daily basis. Armed citizens, not so much.

Yeah.. you realize your massive intellectual disconnect here?. WHO do you think those "bad guys with guns".. victimize? Cops? hardly..

They victimize the civilian population . That's tend to arrive after the fact. :doh

Go ahead and get killed by the cops then...you won't be alone.

US cops kill hundreds of people a year - in 2014 they killed over 1100....as you draw your last breath you can (briefly) reflect on how you've done more than 99% of other Americans....and then die.

The rest of us can take cover and enjoy the holiday season this year.

Thanks.

Go ahead and get killed by the cops then...you won't be alone.

US cops kill hundreds of people a year - in 2014 they killed over 1100....as you draw your last breath you can (briefly) reflect on how you've done more than 99% of other Americans....and then die.

The rest of us can take cover and enjoy the holiday season this year.

Thanks.

Where do you get your numbers from? For 2014 CDC only showed 515 legal intervention homicides.

As for good guys with guns, Marine vets have to be right up near the top of the "good guys with guns" tree, until they open fire on country music fans..

someone who premeditates mass murder is not a good guy

It is a reality. Are you under the impression that gun owner/carriers arent aware of this?

OTOH, it certainly does save lives.

Here's a local one:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/18/us/walmart-armed-citizen-shooting/index.html

And of course, the father last week at a McDonalds that shot and killed the active shooter. That made national news.

Back
Top Bottom