• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:201] What Christianity Is Not About.

Remember that the next time someone points out the truth to/about you...
Oh absolutely! Of course, they need to back it up.

If your game is lying, then you win.

Otherwise, in a discussion forum, when you make a claim like that, you back it up with sources.
Just as I thought. You have no desire for the information. This is why I don't waste my time.

Just as I thought. You have no desire for the information. This is why I don't waste my time.
When did I change my mind? Prove you're not lying...post sources that prove your claim.

More silly made-up nonsense. Tell you what. I'll hang with you until you start playing games. You decide.

I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean. Is this schtick where you want us to pretend each post is independent of the last one ever worked for you? You were discussing who is and isn’t a Christian. By your own terms, you don’t make the cut.

You're making us look like colonizers, we're not. The people who we were helping were already Christians, but they had no church. I don't understand your ire. We were invited to help them, we didn't force our way in. There was no disrespect. We helped a lot of people.

You didn't say that the people were already christians.

I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean. Is this schtick where you want us to pretend each post is independent of the last one ever worked for you? You were discussing who is and isn’t a Christian. By your own terms, you don’t make the cut.
So many things you bring up, then you suddenly 'don't know what that means' when answered.
And sorry you don't believe in Jesus. May you find your way at some point.

Jesus was apparently very annoying to some people.

Here's the fact. People who embrace the darkness cannot tolerate ANY light, no matter how softly it is presented. Christians don't put people down; they observe truths. Those who live in the darkness perceive the truth as put-downs

Jesus was not annoying to anyone. But he did pose a threat to a power structure of the time.

So like the OP, you create an excuse for the rude behavior of christians. Good job!

Here's the simple fact: the better people are, the more they are hated by the unbelievers.

Think about it. Jesus was perfect, yet those who hated them couldn't stand his behavior. So much so that they put Him to death. Nobody can say Jesus was 'trying to be obnoxious'. He spent his time telling truths and trying to save people

So is it any wonder unbelievers hate those who are not nearly as good as Jesus, as we present God's teachings?

No, it is not a fact. And what does it mean to be better? No one was offended by the behavior of Jesus. They were concerned with him challenging the religious traditions of the time. And they feared that he would inspire political unrest. He was killed for challenging the power structure of the time, not for being obnoxious. No one hates good, loving people who follow Jesus' message to love one another. They are annoyed by preachy christians who act superior.

So many things you bring up, then you suddenly 'don't know what that means' when answered.

I’m sorry you keep speaking in His name. That’s a no no.

Oh, I definitely believe in Jesus, I just don't believe the absurd notions that Jesus is god, or that he rose from the dead, or that he was born from a virgin, or that he walked on water or made blind men see...except metaphorically, perhaps.

[deleted words]

My point:

Christians may have differing interpretations but most - if not all of them - are saying the same thing regarding the Scriptures.
YOU NEED CHRIST!

Well, Sommerville....it's all up to you, you know. It's your life. Your choice.🤷
[deleted words]
One way to know an interpretation is wrong, is if it clashes in any way, conflicting with any verses in the Scriptures.
God's message is consistent. It will always be consistent.

Study the Bible, and/or, look for answers to your question.

All you need to know is that Jesus Christ had suffered and died for mankind that we may have the chance to eternal life.
There are only 2 choices: LIVE or PERISH.

The only condition is to have faith in Him as your Lord and Saviour. You can even ask Him to help you with that.

Funny how 40,000+ groups exist, all claiming to be "Christian", yet each one of those groups interprets passages in the Bible in ways that support the beliefs of their specific church. I wonder why that might be - nah, not really - if Christians can't agree, then how are the non-believers supposed to understand.

Then there is the problem with the historical reality, or not, of some random guy claiming to be THE Son of God (YWHW) in the early years of the First Century. We have zero 1st century evidence of any type that there was a man named Yeshua ha Natzri preaching in Roman Palestinia. Now, I know that some will provide us with their best evidence and I will wait to see what they offer.

There was zero need for there to have been a real human being, one who today is worshipped as the Son of God. Evidence of that is found in the number of religions based on other dying and rising deities. Why aren't they still around if so many believed in Osiris, Romulus, Mithra and other gods back in the day? Why? Because of the political and military power of the Empire and the Church from the 5th Century up thru the Renaissance days.

Though Constantine was a significant influence in the climb to power of the early faith, it was Theodosius I who proclaimed Christianity to be the official faith of the Roman Empire when he issued the Edict of Thessalonica in 380 CE.

It's not about gaining popularity among the heathen.

It's not about appeasement.

It's not about compromise.

It's not about coercion.

It's not about relentless persuasion.

It's not about getting the most likes in forums, or being "buddy-buddy" with, or praised by heathens, for being "understanding" of their stance.

It's not about being unscathed - whether it be from physical or emotional injury, or being villified, or ridiculed, or marginalized, or even shunned.

For those who think that upholding and staying true to what is in the Scriptures beats the purpose of converting non-believers,
and instead drives them away from Christianity......

....here is a sobering statement from Christ.

Matthew 10

22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Christianity is not about pleading with you to, "pretty please, see it from my viewpoint, and please believe!" Uh-uh.

Christianity is informing and explaining to you how you can be saved. Whether you want to believe it or not, that's up to you.

You have been invited by Christ. Your choice is whether to accept and take what is being offered.
Christians are simply His messengers who deliver His invitation. Making it known that the invitation is for EVERYONE!

All you have to do is call on Christ.

Your free will. No one will force you.

TAKE IT.............or................. LEAVE IT.

I thought it was about getting a private jet:

Oh, I definitely believe in Jesus, I just don't believe the absurd notions that Jesus is god, or that he rose from the dead, or that he was born from a virgin, or that he walked on water or made blind men see...except metaphorically, perhaps.

What do you think about people who do believe those things?

Why are you afraid to answer for yourself?
Not afraid, it's just none of your business, nor is it relevant to the topic at hand.

Not afraid, it's just none of your business, nor is it relevant to the topic at hand.

It's none of my business? What an odd way to answer a very simple question. :)

It's none of my business? What an odd way to answer a very simple question. :)
You mean, me ignoring a stupid question?

Why would I care what other people believe?

So you have no feelings about people like fundamental Christians who do believe those things?

Back
Top Bottom