• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:201] What Christianity Is Not About.

You cannot know her motives, and the fact that you pretend to says more about you than all the Christian posturing!
Your comments aren't very kind. Are you displaying Christian principles?

If you are Christian, shouldn't you be displaying humility rather than hubris?

Also if prosperity gospel is turning people away from Christianity with its vulgar worship of material wealth, isn't that a problem? What is the difference between prosperity gospel and the indulgences the Catholic Church sold in the Middle Ages?

You should debate, or make fun of things you know about.

Here, let me give some info:

CHRISTIANITY is not about .........just being on the defensive all the time.

Matthew 16
18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

See that? The gates of hell shall not prevail. Think of a SIEGE. It is not strong enough.

2 Cor 10
2 I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world.
3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.

4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.

5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Look at the title of this thread. This thread is what Christianity is NOT about.
You're bringing in something off-topic.
Create your own thread.

Last edited:

Matthew 16
18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

2 Cor 10

2 I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world.

4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.

5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Look at the title of this thread. You're bringing in something off-topic.
Create your own thread. Or....would you want me to create it for you?
You really want go there?
My version of Christianity is more about forgiveness and understanding than it is dogma. Too many US Christians fail to follow my version of it though.

Nonetheless, I forgive them for not understanding.

My version of Christianity is more about forgiveness and understanding than it is dogma. Too many US Christians fail to follow my version of it though.

You said you were atheist earlier.

I said I don't believe in hocus pocus. But, I was baptized Christian and consider myself a follower of the man you all call Jesus.

I said I don't believe in hocus pocus. But, I was baptized Christian and consider myself a follower of the man you all call Jesus.

What is the purpose of being baptized?

Read the title.

Get on the same page. or.....create your own thread.

Though I don't judge all atheists with the same brush - it seems that in forums, majority of atheists have serious comprehension issues.

Read the title.

Get on the same page. or.....create your own thread.

Though I don't judge all atheists with the same brush - it seems that in forums, majority of atheists have serious comprehension issues.
I am addressing the title by saying what Christianity is not about: it's not about the Dogma. It's about forgiveness and understanding. I guess you don't see that.

He is an atheist.

He wouldn't be the first atheist to claim being a Christian just to throw you off. I had an experience with another atheist.
That seems to be the strategy being used by some atheists. Out of sheer desperation, obviously.

He is an atheist.

He wouldn't be the first atheist to claim being a Christian just to throw you off. I had an experience another atheist.
That seems to be the strategy being used by some atheists. Out of desperation, obviously.
That's rather presumptuous of you. Isn't that like a sin of some sort?

Matthew 16
18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

See that? The gates of hell shall not prevail. Think of a SIEGE. It is not strong enough.

2 Cor 10

Look at the title of this thread. You're bringing in something off-topic.
Create your own thread. Or....would you want me to create it for you?
You really want to go there?

I went to Catholic school as a boy in Ontario, I grew up with this stuff, don't presume to lecture me about things I don't know.

I have a quote from Ghandi for you:

"I like your Christ, but not your Christianity."

I don't have problem with Jesus or his teachings, but I do have a problem with the religious right using it to make a buck and replace Jesus with Supply Side Jesus.

Let's look at your quote:

"Christianity is not about pleading with you to, "pretty please, see it from my viewpoint, and please believe!" Uh-uh.

Christianity is informing and explaining to you how you can be saved. Whether you want to believe it or not, that's up to you.

You have been invited by Christ. Your choice is whether to accept and take what is being offered.
Christians are simply His messengers who deliver His invitation. Making it known that the invitation is for EVERYONE!

All you have to do is call on Christ.

Your free will. No one will force you.

TAKE IT.............or................. LEAVE IT."

Doesn't pastors who want their followers to buy them jets and say being on their Church will bring them material wealth undermine that?

And what basis does someone like Jerry Falwell Jr. have to condemn homosexuality and trans people, when he engages three way with his wife and their pool boy?

Gee, I wonder way young people turn away from the Church with a bunch of hypocritical grifters representing it.

I went to Catholic school as a boy in Ontario, I grew up with this stuff, don't presume to lecture me about things I don't know.

I don't have problem with Jesus or his teachings, but I do have a problem with the religious right using it to make a buck and replace Jesus with Supply Side Jesus.

"Christianity is not about pleading with you to, "pretty please, see it from my viewpoint, and please believe!" Uh-uh.

Christianity is informing and explaining to you how you can be saved. Whether you want to believe it or not, that's up to you.

You have been invited by Christ. Your choice is whether to accept and take what is being offered.
Christians are simply His messengers who deliver His invitation. Making it known that the invitation is for EVERYONE!

Doesn't pastors who want their followers to buy them jets and say being on their Church will bring them material wealth undermine that?

And what basis does someone like Jerry Falwell Jr. have to condemn homosexuality and trans people, when he engages three way with his wife and their pool boy?

Gee, I wonder way young people turn away from the Church with a bunch of hypocritical grifters representing it.
That's just it. They have no idea that we actually know this stuff inside out due to education, family history or just basic curiosity.

I don't care what you were. You could've been a pastor for all I care.

You reveal what you don't know through your own posts. 🤷 I'm reacting to what you posted.

Now....let's get back on topic:

WHAT CHRISTIANITY IS NOT ABOUT.

I don't care what you were. You could've been a pastor for all I care.

You reveal what you don't know through your own posts. 🤷

Now....let's get back on topic: WHAT CHRISTIANITY IS NOT ABOUT.
We know much more than the so-called Christians who spew dogma without nary a thought. Real Christians follow the path of forgiveness and understanding, not the road of the self-righteous and judgmental.

No, Gandhi said "I don't like your Christians". He took a potshot at fallible humans, which is the easy path so many non-Christians take. They ignore the fact that the irreligious are EXTREMELY unlike Christ. They have two standards of behavior. One for Christians who are trying hard to be good people, and one for themselves, who have no such standards. It is SO hypocritical.

I'm an atheist commenting on your apparent lack of Christian values.
But yet you give yourself a pass for the same behavior? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

RECAP:

WHAT CHRISTIANITY IS NOT ABOUT:

It's not about gaining popularity among the heathen.

It's not about appeasement.

It's not about compromise.

It's not about coercion.

It's not about relentless persuasion.

It's not about getting the most likes in forums, or being "buddy-buddy" with, or praised by heathens, for being "understanding" of their stance.

It's not about being unscathed - whether it be from physical or emotional injury, or being villified, or ridiculed, or marginalized, or even shunned.

Christianity is not about pleading with you to, "pretty please, see it from my viewpoint, and please believe!"

Christianity is not about being on the defensive all the time. (post #278)

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

Lol. Who cares what Gandhi said. Anyway......

Corrections: That's your own quote, not Gandhi's.

Here is what Gandhi said:

“I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. "

I'm an atheist commenting on your apparent lack of Christian values.
But yet you give yourself a pass for the same behavior? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

How is Sparky being hypocritical? If one does not believe in a certain set of rules and has their own mindset as to proper behaviour toward other humans, they are not being hypocritical about Christan rules of behaviour when they don't follow those 'Christian' rules.

RECAP:

WHAT CHRISTIANITY IS NOT ABOUT:

It's not about gaining popularity among the heathen.

It's not about appeasement.

It's not about compromise.

It's not about coercion.

It's not about relentless persuasion.

It's not about getting the most likes in forums, or being "buddy-buddy" with, or praised by heathens, for being "understanding" of their stance.

It's not about being unscathed - whether it be from physical or emotional injury, or being villified, or ridiculed, or marginalized, or even shunned.

Christianity is not about pleading with you to, "pretty please, see it from my viewpoint, and please believe!"

Christianity is not about being on the defensive all the time. (post #278)
So - when a person claiming to be a Christian acts in ways that you claim to be un-Christian, that person isn't really a Christian, according to you.

This is the problem - for those humans outside of the faith, it has become impossible to determine who is really a Christian and what is the faith, because there are so many variations - variations that contradict each other.

I am addressing the title by saying what Christianity is not about: it's not about the Dogma. It's about forgiveness and understanding. I guess you don't see that.

How can it be not about Christian doctrines when God Himself had given us the Scriptures for the purpose of knowing and understanding.
Even Jesus was quoting from the Scriptures and using it for reference.

Christianity is not all about forgiveness and understanding.

Those are just part of it.

Back
Top Bottom