• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:1889] Minnesota police fatally shot Black man after traffic stop, family says; crowd holds protest

Sorry you can't seem to Cope with reality.
The reality is not every person who flees or resist arrest are shot. Actually it is very rare for officers to shoot people for resisting or fleeing. The ones that do shoot people are usually justified no matter the color or race. The rare and few police who who do shoot and are not justified need to be taken to court and tried just like any other criminal. All this other nonsense spreading lies and hate is not fixing anything only making matters worse.

The reality is not every person who flees or resist arrest are shot.

Correct. Never said otherwise.

Actually it is very rare for officers to shoot people for resisting or fleeing. The ones that do shoot people are usually justified no matter the color or race.

Sounds definitive but is actually an arbitrary statement.

The rare and few police who who do shoot and are not justified need to be taken to court and tried just like any other criminal. All this other nonsense spreading lies and hate is not fixing anything only making matters worse.

Well I'm glad I'm not doing that.

The reality is not every person who flees or resist arrest are shot. Actually it is very rare for officers to shoot people for resisting or fleeing. The ones that do shoot people are usually justified no matter the color or race. The rare and few police who who do shoot and are not justified need to be taken to court and tried just like any other criminal. All this other nonsense spreading lies and hate is not fixing anything only making matters worse.
Except that studies show that when the police pull over a white person,, and a black person.. and they have the same records or lack thereof.. and they both act the same.
The black person is statistically more likely to have force used against them than the white person.

Except that studies show that when the police pull over a white person,, and a black person.. and they have the same records or lack thereof.. and they both act the same.
The black person is statistically more likely to have force used against them than the white person.
And the black person is, statistically, more likely to be violent.

Well I rode with other police officers and I did not see this. Every police officer I road with were pretty consistent with the way they treated everyone. Some were lenient and gave out warnings while other were adamant in enforcing the law. I watched a cop write up his wife. What I did see is people who start and seek out trouble usually find it. I was generally surprised at how many lenient cops would still issue warnings even after the person was a complete jerk in the situation.

And the black person is, statistically, more likely to be violent.
Actually no. Thats controlling for behavior. In other words.. a person stopped by the police. One white.. one black.. and they do THE SAME BEHAVIOR
The black person is more likely to have force used against them.

Well I rode with other police officers and I did not see this. Every police officer I road with were pretty consistent with the way they treated everyone. Some were lenient and gave out warnings while other were adamant in enforcing the law. I watched a cop write up his wife. What I did see is people who start and seek out trouble usually find it. I was generally surprised at how many lenient cops would still issue warnings even after the person was a complete jerk in the situation.
Thats nice. Anecdotally.. as a reserve police officer. I rode with police officers that consistently treated people. As I believe I did. And I rode with some that were more likely to assume that a hispanic male was up to something.. and was more likely to question them and more likely to "hassle".. a hispanic male. after a while.. it became obvious that it wasn;t just profiling.. (which frankly, I don;t have that much problem with if done right). After we had an altercation with a hispanic male that I think would not have occurred if the officer had not acted the way he had... I spoke up to the chief. Not much was done.. if anything (it was all internal).
He eventually got fired after he got an unnecessary force complaint he received for dragging a hispanic teenager out of a car through a window.. (the rear door on his side didn;t work and when he tried to explain to the officer he needed to go to the other side to get out.. the officer dragged him through the window).

Well, I can offer anecdotal evidence of racial profiling by police officers:

At some point ( in LA and in broad daylight ) when I had my car for service a Hispanic looking young co-worker offered me a ride after we finished our shift because the auto-repair shop with my car was on his way. The young fellow (in his late 20s) was a successful engineer with a good salary and he had a BMW M5. After some time and while he was driving perfectly normal, a police car stopped right next to us at a traffic light. I did not pay much attention but soon after the driver told me that the cops were following him.

At first, I dismissed his comment by saying that it was probably nothing or something to that effect, but he was insisting that the cops were following us and sure enough, after some time (and near the auto repair shop) the cops did stop us. From the cops comments, it seems that they became suspicious when the driver followed a route which looked like he wanted to avoid them because the first thing they asked him was why he chose to exit the main street by turning right and then turn left and again left (which looked like an aimless route which would put him back to the main street he exited).

I was pissed (and I am a white person) because in my first and only ride with him in his car I had to listen to such idiotic question which he should not have to answer. The answer to their question was that the autorepair shop was along a one-way cross street with the traffic flow pointing towards the main street. So, it would have been impossible to exit the main street by turning right and drive towards the repair shop a few hundred yards away. So, if one wanted to arrive at the repair shop, he would have to turn right on the (also one way) street right before the one which had the auto repair shop and then turn left and again left to enter the one way street which had the auto repair shop . Then the driver would drop me off and continue driving until he reached again the main street.

After we explained the situation, they apologized and let us go. The co-worker explained to me later that this was not the first time that he was stropped for no reason other than apparently looking suspicious because he is a young hispanic looking guy driving an expensive car.

Last edited:
Well, I can offer anecdotal evidence of racial profiling by police officers:

At some point ( in LA and in broad daylight ) when I had my car for service a Hispanic looking young co-worker offered me a ride after we finished our shift because the auto-repair shop with my car was on his way. The young fellow (in his late 20s) was a successful engineer with a good salary and he had a BMW M5. After some time and while he was driving perfectly normal, a police car stopped right next to us at a traffic light. I did not pay much attention but soon after the driver told me that the cops were following him.

At first, I dismissed his comment by saying that it was probably nothing or something to that effect, but he was insisting that the cops were following us and sure enough, after some time (and near the auto repair shop) the cops did stop us. From the cops comments, it seems that they became suspicious when the driver followed a route which looked like he wanted to avoid them because the first thing they asked him was why he chose to exit the main street by turning right and then turn left and again left (which looked like an aimless route which would put him back to the main street he exited).

I was pissed (and I am a white person) because in my first and only ride with him in his car I had to listen to such idiotic question which he should not have to answer. The answer to their question was that the autorepair shop was along a one-way cross street with the traffic flow pointing towards the main street. So, it would have been impossible to exit the main street by turning right and drive towards the repair shop a few hundred yards away. So, if one wanted to arrive at the repair shop, he would have to turn right on the (also one way) street right before the one which had the auto repair shop and then turn left and again left to enter the one way street which had the auto repair shop . Then the driver would drop me off and continue driving until he reached again the main street.

After we explained the situation, they apologized and let us go. The co-worker explained to me later that this was not the first time that he was stropped for no reason other than apparently looking suspicious because he is a young hispanic looking guy driving an expensive car.
I guess that is just another good reason for me to never go back to LA. I have Black and Hispanic family members and we have never been pulled over for anything in the last 45 years. Well that is when they were driving anyway. I guess I live in a better part of the country. I will let my family members who are Black and Hispanic know they need to stay out of these left run cities.

I guess that is just another good reason for me to never go back to LA. I have Black and Hispanic family members and we have never been pulled over for anything in the last 45 years. Well that is when they were driving anyway. I guess I live in a better part of the country. I will let my family members who are Black and Hispanic know they need to stay out of these left run cities.

Is there a big black-hispanic demographic in your area? I suspect that when cops work in areas where a big part of crime comes from hispanics (like in LA), or other minorities they are conditioned to become more suspicious (and sometimes unreasonably suspicious) of such demographics. Perhaps in some areas with low numbers of hispanics, cops indeed have a different attitude.

Is there a big black-hispanic demographic in your area? I suspect that when cops work in areas where a big part of crime comes from hispanics (like in LA), or other minorities they are conditioned to become more suspicious (and sometimes unreasonably suspicious) of such demographics. Perhaps in some areas with low numbers of hispanics, cops indeed have a different attitude.
I thought these were good people. To answer your question we have an area where most of the Black and Hispanic live. Unfortunately there is more violent crime in these neighborhoods. A lot of that has to do with drugs and the way our government helps people. The reason drugs are so prevalent is because if they go out and get a minimum wage job they lose their government money, health care, etc. If the make money illegally they don't. It is a no win situation for the people caught up in this nightmare. The American Dream has become a hell for the poor trapped in poverty.

Back
Top Bottom