• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:184] 1920's music --- a time of change

Found another extra Vita Phone from 1928 Georgiie's Stoll's Jazzmania Quintette --- please to enjoy:

fun one ... clever ...

Here is a song you may remember from CONNIE FRANCIS in 1958 ---- WHO's SORRY NOW? Here for your entertainment is the 1923 Isham Jones hit recording:

And Marion Harris had a vocal hit that same year:

Here is a song you may remember from CONNIE FRANCIS in 1958 ---- WHO's SORRY NOW? Here for your entertainment is the 1923 Isham Jones hit recording:

And Marion Harris had a vocal hit that same year:

Sorry, for the delay.

Here is another extra from 1927 ---- NOTHING COULD BE SWEETER --- from the stage production of that year HIT THE DECK. It's played here by The Virginians: I love the music of the 20's. It was quirky, yet full of vim and vigor

Last edited:
Citation please. Or is this going to be like your 1900 thread?
Say what? This thread is nearly a year and a half in the making ----- you're kind of late to be making demands. Of course you are free to design one of your own. PS> Play some of the recordings ---- they speak for themselves. Vo vodeo doe...

Last edited:
Say what? This thread is nearly a year and a half in the making ----- you're kind of late to be making demands. Of course you are free to design one of your own. PS> Play some of the recordings ---- they speak for themselves. Vo vodeo doe...

Yeah, more unsubstatiated claims while trying to deflect.

Mo surprise as I knew your posts were full of shit.

Peace

Moderator's Warning:
This is a themed thread revolving around music, so how about we keep it to that. This low grade baiting some are partaking in will not be tolerated. If you want to flamebait, take it to the basement. But no B/F/T or derailment will be tolerated in this thread any longer, regardless of how light it may be.

Failure to abide by this warning may result in moderator action and/or thread banning.

Reactions: PoS
Here's a Vitaphone musical short. This was made using the Warner Brothers sound-on-disc record system. This 1928 Vitaphone is entitled "The Band Beautiful" - 9 minutes of an all girl band called The Ingenues apparently nicknamed 'The Syncopating Sweeties". This Vitaphone sound-on-disc short number 2572, was one of three musical filmed in June 1928 with The Ingenues. The Ingenues was a vaudeville style all-girl jazz band based in Chicago, who toured the United States and other countries from 1925 to 1937. Not only are they beautiful but they can play, too...

Also from 1928 are a couple of guys (Shaw & Lee) on full Vitaphone known in Vaudeville as "THE BEAU BRUMMELS". They are a real HOOT, and they sing too (Though their jokes are funnier). Say, may we can hook them up with the all girl band above! I beat that would have made their day, "HUH!" I love the expression on the face of taller guy on the right. He is real deadpan until he is gets slammed by the short guy!

Last edited:
Here is the original 1922 version of WAY DOWN YONDER IN NEW ORLEANS sung by the Peerless Quartet on the VICTOR Recording:

Here is another extra from 1928 featuring Walter Roesner and and the Capitopians:

You may just find this presentation regarding Talking Pictures interesting, as the THE JAZZ SINGER really ushered in sound and pushed aside the silent pictures accompanied by piano and or orchestra music:

In 1928 a song which would become a standard became a hit, but would reach number 75 out of the top 100 for that year. The song was YOU'RE THE CREAM IN MY COFFEE. It surprises me just how many of the 1920 tunes were still well known in the 1960's. More than likely it was because so many black and white films were being shown on the EARLY SHOW or PICTURE FOR A SATURDAY AFTERNOON and the kids of that time were understandably exposed to such classics on a fairly regular bases. Here is Jack Hylton's Orchestra playing ---- YOU'RE THE CREAM IN MY COFFEE ----- 1928 British version -- HIS MASTER's VOICE Record: And here also is the Ted Weems version on a VICTOR ORTHROPHONIC Record that was the hit that year (it is cool to compare the variation in retentions for the same year)

Last edited:
I really think I should remind everyone again that up until at least the 1950's (and more likely the 1960's), that records were a single performance! This means that if someone flubbed, that recording was ruined and the band, orchestra, singer, etc., had to record from the beginning all over again. There were no multiple "sound tracks". There was no recording of the various instruments separately. And the singer had to come come in on cue and not muff things up or he would soon find himself without a job (the same goes for the instrumentalists). Generally, several recordings "takes" were done and the best was the one that was issued as to the public as the finished record.

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN is a 1929 song with music by Milton Ager and lyrics by Jack Yellen. This song became a standard that has been interpreted by many artists. The song was originally recorded by Leo Reisman and His Orchestra, with vocals by Lou Levin in November 1929 on a VICTOR Orthrophonic Record. It would be featured in the 1930 film Chasing Rainbows and became the campaign song for Franklin D. Roosevelt's 1932 presidential campaign. It's the unofficial anthem of Roosevelt's Democratic Party, and would become a theme for the Depression of the 1930's.

The song became number 47 on the Recording Industry Association of America's list of "Songs of the Century". Here is the the recording being played on a 1928 8-35 Victor Victrola: :

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom