• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:183]Reasons to Believe

Re: Reasons to Believe

What must life and death be to conservative atheists? What about Chinese atheists, or Indian atheists? You never told us what life and death are to basketball playing atheists, or 'pretend to be religious' atheists?

Why single out those atheists that also have political ideas that differ from yours? What about the atheists that differ from you in other ways?

Atheists may attach themselves to political parties and gang-banging mobs, but if they do not find forgiveness for their sins on earth they will of absolute certainty go to hell when they die.

You are obsessed with showing how wrong everyone is to not believe as you do. That is not healthy.
Where in the OP -- that's the Original Post -- do you find any evidence of the attitude you describe? What seems unhealthy to me is your business of seeing what is not there. This appears often in atheist posts for some reason. Which is funny when you think about atheism as not seeing what is there, yes?

So you would prefer us to be in the Middle Ages? How do you think that so many major diseases have been brought under control? How ironic that you are using science to post here. If it was up to you we'd be using smoke signals

Very few major diseases were brought under control. Most were not. And now they are considered the natural result of age. Lots of BS involved. But this post is NOT about modern medicine. I have plenty to say about that, will not say it here.

Science and technology have accomplished certain things. They are also leading to the destruction of nature. And there are things science and technology cannot do. That is what you materialists will not understand.

Life is not understood. Yes scientists can now look through powerful microscopes and see amazing things. But they don't understand most of those things. They are NOT going to cure death! At least, I sure hope not! It would be like that Vonnegut science fiction story where the earth is covered with sky scrapers and nature is gone. But don't worry, it's science fiction.

For those who are erroneously worried about me, tell them I will just have to take my chances like they will. That might be something they can comprehend.

None of us are worried about you. I don't know where you got that impression from. You are very easy to comprehend.

Very few major diseases were brought under control. Most were not. And now they are considered the natural result of age. Lots of BS involved. But this post is NOT about modern medicine. I have plenty to say about that, will not say it here.

Science and technology have accomplished certain things. They are also leading to the destruction of nature. And there are things science and technology cannot do. That is what you materialists will not understand.

Life is not understood. Yes scientists can now look through powerful microscopes and see amazing things. But they don't understand most of those things. They are NOT going to cure death! At least, I sure hope not! It would be like that Vonnegut science fiction story where the earth is covered with sky scrapers and nature is gone. But don't worry, it's science fiction.

Just like religion.

https://ourworldindata.org/eradication-of-diseases

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11740/

If life is not understood then how do you know that a god has anything to do with it?

Atheists may attach themselves to political parties and gang-banging mobs, but if they do not find forgiveness for their sins on earth they will of absolute certainty go to hell when they die.

That is merely your belief. There is no certainty about it.

I believe because it makes sense...this fine-tuned universe with fixed physical laws and with natural constants that are precisely and ideally suited to support a planet like ours and all the life on it did not just appear without Intelligent Design...common sense tells me that the more complex an event, the less likely it is to occur by chance...

As for adopting a cat...um no...my 2 dogs would not like that one bit... :2razz:

I did not say eradicated. Science makes progress. Religion does not. How many diseases has religion tackled?
How many field goals has science kicked? You're out of your depth, diver. Head up slowly.

Two beauties!

The licker is the kitten. The lickee is the mother cat, who was obviously on her first litter. They had been abandoned.

The licker is the kitten. The lickee is the mother cat, who was obviously on her first litter. They had been abandoned.
I love them!
God bless you, and them. (Sorry about that.)

I love them!
God bless you, and them. (Sorry about that.)

lol, no worries there. The sentiment is appreciated.

You have a beauty of a matched set yourself.

What reasons do you have to believe there is a God?

261yq91.jpg

I made the following reply to what has become the OP Question in this thread, made the following reply to Good4Nothing, a newcomer who brings to DP a fresh and exciting vision of reality, made the following reply to the question whether my reasons to believe are based on personal experiences:

I invite believers to share with us in this thread their reason or reasons to believe -- if they're not too personal and private, that is.

I invite non-believers to think.

I encourage believers and non-believers alike to adopt two cats in the New Year 2019.

kitties are cute iv thought about it not knowing how minds work doesn't tell me undetected gods are producing them or that consciousness is from outside the brain and just interfaces with it and only it

it could be external or i just don't know everything about how nature works

assuming mind work because god seems like its begging the question

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

and saying minds have to come form a mind giver who just happens to have a mind of its own it got from no one seems like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading

and just saying god done it doesn't atul explain how minds are supposed to work it an empty explanation

Life and death are not much more than unknowns to leftist atheists who must gamble on what might or might not be reality beyond what they can personally physically touch, feel or taste.

you seem to be in the same boat your just very certain you do know

I had some hard lessons in my life. Each time I could have decided that the universe doesn't care about me, doesn't care about anyone, is not alive. Or I could have decided that the Universe might be alive, but if it is, it hates me.

However, I resisted that kind of negative thinking because it leads nowhere and is destructive. As a result, each time bad things happened I learned something valuable. The harder the lesson, the more valuable the thing I learned.

I didn't come into this world knowing the best ways to live, and I wasn't taught that. I doubt anyone is, because the best way to live is different for each of us. Our parents and teachers and other experts are of limited help.

Who can teach us then? If you are the materialist kind of atheist who thinks the universe is dead and mindless (because it has no neurons!), then you would be on your own I guess. Or maybe your subconscious would guide you, and the subconscious mind is connected to the Universe, even if you deny it.

In my case, there was a hand reaching back every time I reached out mine. In miraculous indescribable ways.

But I had a sense of something divine going on behind the scenes ever since I was born. I have often run away from it and walled it off. But I always know it's there.

When life is going along smoothly, it's easy to forget to reach out. It's easy to think we have everything under control and don't need any help. Then you trip and fall into another black hole. And then you remember there is a way out.

so you believe because it makes you feel better?

Pragmatists thought truth is what makes you feel good or is useful to believe.

Absolutely not. I don't know how you got that from what I said. And I know, of course, that is one of the same old atheist criticisms. That we believe whatever makes us happy, like Santa Claus and the tooth fairy.

In no way did I say or imply anything like that.

Pragmatists thought truth is what makes you feel good or is useful to believe.

That is not an accurate summary of the philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom