• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:18]Mysterious Repeating Radio Signal from Deep Space

Empirica

~Transcend~
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
If this turns out to be our First Contact I so hope they're nice.:nails

Scientists Have Discovered a Mysterious
Repeating Radio Signal from Deep Space

By Brandon Specktor, Senior Writer
| January 9, 2019 02:30pm ET

Don't look now, but Earth is being bombarded with mysterious, invisible light. Among the typical array of radio signals and microwaves cast out by distant stars, black holes and other celestial bodies, there exists a brand of intergalactic light that consistently boggles scientists' minds — and their instruments. These signals are known as fast radio bursts (FRBs). These ultrastrong, ultrabright radio signals last only a few milliseconds and are thought to originate from billions of light-years away, though their precise source is unknown.
(Aliens have not been ruled out.)

https://www.livescience.com/64457-s...s-repeating-radio-signal-from-deep-space.html

Re: Mysterious Repeating Radio Signal from Deep Space

Likewise.
However, aliens tend not to be nice.... "They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
I say it's never too early to fund a space-wall.
The extraterrestrials will pay for this wall.

Yeah. They'll take one look at this **** hole and turn around running, with their tails tucked between their legs.

"Nope, no intelligent life down here."

Don't look now, but Earth is being bombarded with mysterious, invisible light. Among the typical array of radio signals and microwaves cast out by distant stars, black holes and other celestial bodies, there exists a brand of intergalactic light that consistently boggles scientists' minds — and their instruments. These signals are known as fast radio bursts (FRBs). These ultrastrong, ultrabright radio signals last only a few milliseconds and are thought to originate from billions of light-years away, though their precise source is unknown.

https://www.livescience.com/64457-s...s-repeating-radio-signal-from-deep-space.html

I don't think you need to worry whether their nice if they are "billions of light years away" They won't make it here for dinner. ;)

That wall's gonna have to be really, really yuge.

Yeah. They'll take one look at this **** hole and turn around running, with their tails tucked between their legs.

It could be colliding black holes, or perhaps something going on at the nucleus of a spiral galaxy. But, this could be first evidence of ET life in the universe.

If it is, we should get them accustomed to the true face of America, and send them a transmission of this.

That wall's gonna have to be really, really yuge.

Its okay, our President knows construction really, really, really, well.

It could be colliding black holes, or perhaps something going on at the nucleus of a spiral galaxy. But, this could be first evidence of ET life in the universe.

If it is, we should get them accustomed to the true face of America, and send them a transmission of this.

Was that absolutely necessary?

Its actually a warning of some sort ... remember Alien?

Its okay, our President knows construction really, really, really, well.
We've got the greatest hotels for them to stay at!

Nope, that's not what superior civilizations do, at least not here on Earth.

Chances are pretty good that they will (A) view our planet as a stopover where they can suck the resources dry, wipe out the sentient living creatures if we pose a problem and move on to bigger treats, or (B) if they are the least bit benevolent, view as cute and adorable troublemaker pets who need housebreaking, or (C) figure out ways to exploit us while making us think we've hit the motherlode.

High energy-high technology civilizations of the human kind have historically been quite unkind to the primitive civilizations that they encounter, but perhaps the one saving grace in all of this is, since any so called interstellar civilization isn't quite human, they may have already moved past that stage and have elevated themselves to a level where they see the value in elevating ours, if we're smart enough to learn from them.

The other saving grace is, if it turns out we're descended from them to begin with, perhaps there's a smidgeon of a chance that we hold a special place in their hearts and their historical narrative, and maybe they are here to get us caught up on how that narrative was or is supposed to play out in the larger picture, again if we're able to comprehend and learn.

But once again, all of that might be part of (C) and we're just too stupid to realize it?

WTF?

Yeah, Emperica can be partisan as hell, as many of us can. But damn, I can't believe how nearly everyone shat on her thread like this. I saw absolutely no politics or bias in her informative post.

Like Fox Mulder, I want to believe. Really want to believe. From Drake's Equation, it's virtually impossible to not believe intelligent life besides ours has existed or will exist in the universe. But due to the physical vastness and length of the time-line of the universe, it is unlikely we will ever rub elbows (or whatever) with another intelligent life form.

Now all that being said, photo-optic and electromagnetic bursts like this occur all the time from astronomical phenomenon we know, or have yet to know. So I hold little hope this is "it". But still, we must keep looking and listening, including at this.

Moderator's Warning:
Too all those crapping in this thread....STOP. This is in the non-political forum and the topic of the thread has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Trump. Take your TDS elsewhere or you'll get booted with possible infractions handed out.

Its actually a warning of some sort ... remember Alien?

Yes. One of my favorite SciFi movies. Ripley figures out it's a reverse distress beacon - Abandon hope all ye who enter here. This creature makes nasty look sweet by comparison.

Nope, that's not what superior civilizations do, at least not here on Earth.

Chances are pretty good that they will (A) view our planet as a stopover where they can suck the resources dry, wipe out the sentient living creatures if we pose a problem and move on to bigger treats, or (B) if they are the least bit benevolent, view as cute and adorable troublemaker pets who need housebreaking, or (C) figure out ways to exploit us while making us think we've hit the motherlode.

High energy-high technology civilizations of the human kind have historically been quite unkind to the primitive civilizations that they encounter, but perhaps the one saving grace in all of this is, since any so called interstellar civilization isn't quite human, they may have already moved past that stage and have elevated themselves to a level where they see the value in elevating ours, if we're smart enough to learn from them.

The other saving grace is, if it turns out we're descended from them to begin with, perhaps there's a smidgeon of a chance that we hold a special place in their hearts and their historical narrative, and maybe they are here to get us caught up on how that narrative was or is supposed to play out in the larger picture, again if we're able to comprehend and learn.

But once again, all of that might be part of (C) and we're just too stupid to realize it?
The exploration of Earth occurred at a point in human evolution when empathy and compassion lagged behind its science and technology.

But I would imagine all civilizations experience a period of transition when savagery and barbarism overlaps with intelligence and reason.

Not a first contact. Just overhyped BS.

NPR had an actual scientist on the air explaining this, it is something very interesting and new, but, not an alien signal.

Like Fox Mulder, I want to believe. Really want to believe. From Drake's Equation, it's virtually impossible to not believe intelligent life besides ours has existed or will exist in the universe. But due to the physical vastness and length of the time-line of the universe, it is unlikely we will ever rub elbows (or whatever) with another intelligent life form.

Now all that being said, photo-optic and electromagnetic bursts like this occur all the time from astronomical phenomenon we know, or have yet to know. So I hold little hope this is "it". But still, we must keep looking and listening, including at this.
Well put Chomsky; I have always pretty much believed just as you have laid it out here.

And I too get a little excited at any report that trips my ET switch; despite the negative odds.

Back
Top Bottom