• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:179]Florida - Assault Weapons ban legislation

Artymoon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The circus begins. New legislation (SB370) is being introduced by Florida State Senator Gary Farmer. This might be the most specific, all encompassing proposal I've read. It goes into tremendous detail listing specific mfg and models. Basically, it looks like they're aiming at the AR,AK platform - rifle or pistol, but it doesn't have to be. It even lists parts in the proposal and if you have any gun that would be able to accept these parts, that gun would also be deemed banned. A la high capacity magazine (over 10 rounds). You don't have to actually own the high capacity magazine, your gun would still be illegal if it "could" accept any type of magazine over 10 rounds.

(a)1. “Assault weapon” means any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic, or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:

If you are a non-resident and move to Florida after the proposal would be enacted, you cannot legally own one of these guns period.

(4) CERTIFICATE OF POSSESSION.— (c) A person who moves into the state in lawful possession of an assault weapon or a large-capacity magazine shall, within 90 days, either render the weapon or large-capacity magazine permanently inoperable, sell the weapon or large-capacity magazine to a licensed gun dealer, or remove the weapon or large-capacity magazine from this state.

SB 370 (flsenate.gov)

This is some crazy stuff and I don't think it will actually go through but I imagine these are the kind of proposals we can expect to see for the near future.

Crazy shit. This would ban the sale of pistol grips, even for use on bolt action rifles.

And a mandatory minimum of 2 years in prison. Nuts. If actually they cared so much about saving lives (which this won't do anyway), they'd apply some of that draconian garbage to speeding and drunk driving.

(a)1. “Assault weapon” means any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic, or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:

Yeah OK, at a stretch I could agree with that

If you are a non-resident and move to Florida after the proposal would be enacted, you cannot legally own one of these guns period.

Does it apply to unborn residents - ie: are those not yet born treated the same ?

If so it's a simple method to grandfather rights in and se them abolished over time as those grandfathered in die out
If so, I'm OK with that

(4) CERTIFICATE OF POSSESSION.— (c) A person who moves into the state in lawful possession of an assault weapon or a large-capacity magazine shall, within 90 days, either render the weapon or large-capacity magazine permanently inoperable, sell the weapon or large-capacity magazine to a licensed gun dealer, or remove the weapon or large-capacity magazine from this state.

Yes, good idea.

Yeah OK, at a stretch I could agree with that

Does it apply to unborn residents - ie: are those not yet born treated the same ?

If so it's a simple method to grandfather rights in and se them abolished over time as those grandfathered in die out
If so, I'm OK with that

Yes, good idea.

It is only a "stretch" to those that do not know much about Assault rifles/Weapons.

...it goes into tremendous detail listing specific mfg and models. Basically, it looks like they're aiming at the AR,AK platform - rifle or pistol, but it doesn't have to be. It even lists parts in the proposal and if you have any gun that would be able to accept these parts, that gun would also be deemed banned....

This avoids the legal quagmire of inventing convoluted legal definitions that lawyers get rich, by arguing over in court.

Stupid idea hope it fails miserably. No reasona person should support this

So it has to have an AR or AK lower, or just anything?

This bullshit ban is the stupidest idea I have heard all day.

Hardly worth pondering. Snowballs chance in hell.

Semi-automatic.... please bitch.

Won't fly with cracker boys.

The circus begins. New legislation (SB370) is being introduced by Florida State Senator Gary Farmer. This might be the most specific, all encompassing proposal I've read. It goes into tremendous detail listing specific mfg and models. Basically, it looks like they're aiming at the AR,AK platform - rifle or pistol, but it doesn't have to be. It even lists parts in the proposal and if you have any gun that would be able to accept these parts, that gun would also be deemed banned. A la high capacity magazine (over 10 rounds). You don't have to actually own the high capacity magazine, your gun would still be illegal if it "could" accept any type of magazine over 10 rounds.

SB 370 (flsenate.gov)

This is some crazy stuff and I don't think it will actually go through but I imagine these are the kind of proposals we can expect to see for the near future.
I doubt anything like that will pass in South Alabama.

This bullshit ban is the stupidest idea I have heard all day.

Hardly worth pondering. Snowballs chance in hell.

Semi-automatic.... please bitch.

Won't fly with cracker boys.

Even if it passed, it wouldn't save a single life because, once again, the criteria for banning certain firearms is entirely based on superficial characteristics that have nothing to do safety.

Reading more of it, it's either not serious, or was written by a moron. The way it is written, it would effectively ban all semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine, and all semiautomatic shotguns.

Last edited:
Even if it passed, it wouldn't save a single life because, once again, the criteria for banning certain firearms is entirely based on superficial characteristics that have nothing to do safety.

Reading more of it, it's either not serious, or was written by a moron. The way it is written, it would effectively ban all semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine, and all semiautomatic shotguns.
Just sounds to me like some dumbass politician trying to score points in some left leaning district. They all do pointless things like that. Right. Left. It don't matter.

Just sounds to me like some dumbass politician trying to score points in some left leaning district. They all do pointless things like that. Right. Left. It don't matter.
Nailed it. And we can probably expect more of these over the next few months as they capitalize on the fear of recent events and what could have been.

More focus on understanding why people get broken please. Address problems at their source, not at their symptoms.

All we can do is hope so.

Mr Hood's weapon of choice was the Longbow...

You might be thinking of William Tell.
You are correct sir. I was just thinking "bow." (It's been a long day.)

Can you imagine the look on Robin Hood's face if he was presented one of these? ----> The Sheriff of Nottingham would shit a brick.

ravin-r500e.png

Back
Top Bottom