• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:162]Alan Dershowitz: Mueller's final report 'is going to be devastating' for Trump

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Alan Dershowitz, a frequent defender of Donald Trump, is signaling that something is about to happen in the Mueller investigation that will be 'devastating' for Trump. This may be the reason that Trump has been acting in such an unhinged manner. The Harvard Law professor emeritus told ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos that he believes the president will have to navigate the political impact of a potentially damning final report from the special counsel.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/alan-dershowitz-muellers-final-report-is-going-to-be-devastating-for-trump

Alan Dershowitz: Mueller's final report 'is going to be devastating' for Trump

by Naomi Lim
| November 25, 2018 09:37 AM

Harvard Law School professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz predicted on Sunday that special counsel Robert Mueller's final report for the federal Russia investigation will be calamitous for President Trump.

"I think the report is going to be devastating to the president. I know the president's team is already working on a response to the report," Dershowitz said on ABC News' "This Week." "At some point when the report's made public, and that's a very hard question considering the new attorney general who has the authority to decide when and under what circumstance to make it public, it will be made public probably with a response alongside."

But Dershowitz, who has been critical of Mueller's probe, clarified that he did not think the special counsel's conclusions after the more than yearlong Russia inquiry would lead to criminal repercussions for Trump.

"When I say 'devastating,' I mean it's going to paint a picture that's going to be politically very devastating. I still don't think it's going to make a criminal case because collusion is not criminal," he said. "What I think Mueller is going to do if he's smart is he's not going to take the chance on being rebutted. He's just going to lay out just the facts."

Re: Alan Dershowitz: Mueller's final report 'is going to be devastating' for Trump

Alan Dershowitz, a frequent defender of Donald Trump, is signaling that something is about to happen in the Mueller investigation that will be 'devastating' for Trump. This may be the reason that Trump has been acting in such an unhinged manner. The Harvard Law professor emeritus told ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos that he believes the president will have to navigate the political impact of a potentially damning final report from the special counsel.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/alan-dershowitz-muellers-final-report-is-going-to-be-devastating-for-trump

by Naomi Lim

Harvard Law School professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz predicted on Sunday that special counsel Robert Mueller's final report for the federal Russia investigation will be calamitous for President Trump.

"I think the report is going to be devastating to the president. I know the president's team is already working on a response to the report," Dershowitz said on ABC News' "This Week." "At some point when the report's made public, and that's a very hard question considering the new attorney general who has the authority to decide when and under what circumstance to make it public, it will be made public probably with a response alongside."

But Dershowitz, who has been critical of Mueller's probe, clarified that he did not think the special counsel's conclusions after the more than yearlong Russia inquiry would lead to criminal repercussions for Trump.

"When I say 'devastating,' I mean it's going to paint a picture that's going to be politically very devastating. I still don't think it's going to make a criminal case because collusion is not criminal," he said. "What I think Mueller is going to do if he's smart is he's not going to take the chance on being rebutted. He's just going to lay out just the facts."

JFC can he be a ****ing idiot. Conspiracy is criminal. He knows it, and he knows Mueller knows it.

Re: Alan Dershowitz: Mueller's final report 'is going to be devastating' for Trump

Dershowitiz is a liberal after all. He supported Hillary in 2016. I'm not surprised that he would think the Mueller report may be politically damaging. That is what the whole investigation has been about politically damage the president and possibly remove him from office. Trump will weather the political storm IMHO

I seriously doubt there will be criminal charges for Trump though. .

Dershowitz is such a shill. Playing the "collusion" game, yet ignoring "conspiracy" and other crimes.

It seems to me this is going to be the President's and his surrogates' playbook:

"Collusion is not a crime"

If this what it's finally come down, to?

:doh

JFC can he be a ****ing idiot. Conspiracy is criminal. He knows it, and he knows Mueller knows it.

Dude. It's only criminal if the "conspiracy" is to commit a crime.

And he didn't say "conspiracy" is not criminal; he said "collusion" is not criminal. Words means things. Different words mean different things.

"JFC," indeed.

Dershowitz is such a shill. Playing the "collusion" game, yet ignoring "conspiracy" and other crimes.

It seems to me this is going to be the President's and his surrogates' playbook:

"Collusion is not a crime"

If this what it's finally come down, to?

:doh

Republicans have laid the framework around a word that itself has no criminal code, and for good reason. They've created the belief that if "collusion" is not a conclusion of the report, then nothing else matters.

"No crimes but collusion."

Dude. It's only criminal if the "conspiracy" is to commit a crime.

And he didn't say "conspiracy" is not criminal; he said "collusion" is not criminal. Words means things. Different words mean different things.

"JFC," indeed.

Yawn. And I haven't stated otherwise. He mentioned collusion when he knows it's irrelevant to what Mueller would likely end up charging people with, which would be conspiracy.

This seems quite difficult for you.

Yawn. And I haven't stated otherwise. He mentioned collusion when he knows it's irrelevant to what Mueller would likely end up charging people with, which would be conspiracy.

This seems quite difficult for you.

tenor.gif

Backpedaling. It's better just to be honest. It's even better than that to know what you're talking about before you post, and then you don't have to backpedal.

If Muellers report was truthful, it would be devastating for Hillary and the democrats.

tenor.gif

Backpedaling. It's better just to be honest. It's even better than that to know what you're talking about before you post, and then you don't have to backpedal.

Huh. You lying about me backpedaling. WHAT a surprise!

It's fun to watch you thinking that you've scored some sort of point, when all you've done is exposed your ignorance and dishonesty.

If Muellers report was truthful, it would be devastating for Hillary and the democrats.

Only in Happy Magical Upside Down Backwards World.

In this place that rational adults collectively recognize as 'reality'? Not so much.

Republicans have laid the framework around a word that itself has no criminal code, and for good reason. They've created the belief that if "collusion" is not a conclusion of the report, then nothing else matters.

"No crimes but collusion."
Exactly!

They structured their argument to be "nothing but collusion will do", and now that collusion might be possible they've had it evolve to, "collusion is not a crime".

Wow. The report isn't out but you already know what it should say and if it doesn't, it must be false. When did conservatism become an all-out pre-baked conspiracy theory for anything that doesn't blow sunshine up your keister?

Amazing. Yet another new join "conservative" who needs the narrative to be about Clinton. Damn, you people must have nightmares the way you obsess over her. Or did FOX News just run a piece again?

by Naomi Lim

Two things are key to note here:

1: Dershowitz is speculating. He does not have any actual evidence.
2: Most likely, the final report is a long ways off yet. The average time it takes for a special prosecutor/investigator to finish is over 4 years.

Dershowitz could be right. However, it is always important to not run in advance of the facts, and the general public, which includes Dershowitz, is lacking in facts.

2: Most likely, the final report is a long ways off yet. The average time it takes for a special prosecutor/investigator to finish is over 4 years.

Dershowitz could be right. However, it is always important to not run in advance of the facts, and the general public, which includes Dershowitz, is lacking in facts.

Dershowitz is a smart fellow. Think his comments with Stephanopolis are probably pretty close to the mark.

Of course it's all speculation. There is no report yet. A key point to note is that the Washington Examiner article went for the sensational headline. "Devastating" was meant to suggest criminal for the initial shock value. But the substance of what Dershowitz said is directed at political impact of the Mueller results.

Probability is high that the report will be damaging to Trump...and his hopes for a 2020 re-election.

Exactly!

They structured their argument to be "nothing but collusion will do", and now that collusion might be possible they've had it evolve to, "collusion is not a crime".
Mueller isn't going to find collusion. IFthere is a crime to be found it will be financial. Trump's financial empire is immense consisting of thousands of transactions. A difference of opinion between Trumps small army of Tax lawyers and prosecuters could lead to charges being filed. Trump's defense would likely be he did on advice of his lawyer. That is the reason the message was sent to Mueller that lookin into Trump's finances would be a "red line." Trump won because he just out worked Hillary. There was no collusion. Ponesta got his emails hacked because his password was "password" how terminally stupid was that? The DNC would not allow the FBI to examine their server. It makes me wonder if Debbie Wasserman Shultz's IT guy gained access and distributed data from the server.

i'm not sure. if there is evidence of crimes, will Republicans hold him accountable? they could dismiss it as fake news just like King Tangface does.

i'm not sure. if there is evidence of crimes, will Republicans hold him accountable? they could dismiss it as fake news just like King Tangface does.
And more importantly if there is no evidence of a crime will the Democrats accept the results.

And more importantly if there is no evidence of a crime will the Democrats accept the results.

if the report seems thorough, probably. if it's a hobbled investigation like the Kavenaugh thing, probably not. however, as a left leaning independent, i don't see much in the Mueller investigation so far that gives me an indication that it's anything but the real thing. he's indicting people left and right, Trump is hot and bothered, and his cult is in full defense mode, so it seems like a real investigation.

Huh. You lying about me backpedaling. WHAT a surprise!

It's fun to watch you thinking that you've scored some sort of point, when all you've done is exposed your ignorance and dishonesty.

Stop crying about how I dun ya wrong and learn to post better.

At BEST, you're saying that Dersh is "an idiot" for making an argument he didn't actually make, sp you're either uniformed or you're dishonest.

Exactly!

Well..., um... er... collusion with Russia is what this was all about-- you know Trump and Putin working together to flip the election away from the annoited by, well, colluding, wikileaks & Roger Stone & Manafort & PapaD & Carter Page & now Corsi who is presently the great harbinger of doom for the president with all the goods on the plot. It scarcely is any Trump supporter who is changing the structure of the argument.

I agree with you here Redress. Dershowitz is speculating. As to how far off the final report is, unknown, though Trump providing answers to written questions submitted does seem to appear to be one of the things that would happen near the end of the investigation.

if the report seems thorough, probably. if it's a hobbled investigation like the Kavenaugh thing, probably not. however, as a left leaning independent, i don't see much in the Mueller investigation so far that gives me an indication that it's anything but the real thing. he's indicting people left and right, Trump is hot and bothered, and his cult is in full defense mode, so it seems like a real investigation.
From what I have seen so far the Mueller investigation has been through unlike the SHAM Hillary investigation. I have one question IF the Trump investigation isn't a political hack job it like all investigations should start with strong evidence of a crime. What is the evidence of a crime that Trump did to start the investigation? The Mueller investing is an investigation IN SEARCH OF a crime and not an investigation OF a crime. That is a Banana Republic thing.

When you decide the truth before the evidence is presented, you can conclude such things, yes.

Back
Top Bottom