• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:16]Yellowstone investigating illegal drone photo taken in park

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.apnews.com/d23970b0c3ad4d7f840cd56eb7d8177d

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) — Yellowstone National Park officials say they’re investigating after a photo was posted online showing one of the park’s geothermal features from a drone, which is illegal.

The Jackson Hole News & Guide reported the photo of Grand Prismatic Spring was posted on Instagram and then deleted after criticism from other users.

Drones are banned in Yellowstone and many other parks.
========================================
A Dutch tourist crashed his drone into a geothermal park feature & was fined $3K.

Re: Yellowstone investigating illegal drone photo taken in park

https://www.apnews.com/d23970b0c3ad4d7f840cd56eb7d8177d

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) — Yellowstone National Park officials say they’re investigating after a photo was posted online showing one of the park’s geothermal features from a drone, which is illegal.

The Jackson Hole News & Guide reported the photo of Grand Prismatic Spring was posted on Instagram and then deleted after criticism from other users.

Drones are banned in Yellowstone and many other parks.
========================================
A Dutch tourist crashed his drone into a geothermal park feature & was fined $3K.

I thought it was a public park owned by the taxpayers.

Responding to the postscript: In God we trust. All others pay cash supported by faith and trust.
/

Responding to the postscript: In God we trust. All others pay cash supported by faith and trust.
/

So because it is a public park people should be allowed to do whatever they want?

/

A public park needs protecting from thoughtless selfish idiots spoiling the enjoyment of others.

A public park needs protecting from thoughtless selfish idiots spoiling the enjoyment of others.

Hot damn, I didn't even know Trump planned on visiting the park.
/

From the same article: "The National Park Service says drones can harass wildlife and the noise is a nuisance to visitors."

Seems obvious to me. Do you disagree?

Something a little off topic, but just in the past year I've been out hiking several times and passed or was passed by people who are doing the equivalent of carrying a boom box with them on the trail. Never seen it before this year but I'm not a fan. If I want to listen to music hiking, I use earbuds, or headphones would also work. I hope it's not a new trend.

I get annoyed by noisy groups of tourists in public parks that scare away the snakes, but that doesn't mean I think noisy tourists should be banned. A blanket ban on drones seems intended to spoil the enjoyment of others.

I get annoyed by noisy groups of tourists in public parks that scare away the snakes, but that doesn't mean I think noisy tourists should be banned. A blanket ban on drones seems intended to spoil the enjoyment of others.

In most cases, at least around here, if there's a group of noisy people, 50-100 yards is enough space on the trail to no longer be bothered. That's easily done - speed up or stop and let them pass. We do it all the time.

It's entirely different for drones, and for them I think it depends on the park, and in some cases locations within parks. Drones are annoying as hell to me - when they're around it's all I can hear or think about, especially if there are more than one. So as long as the park restricts them to certain areas, which would include away from wildlife, nesting birds, etc. I'm OK with them, but just tell me where that is and let me go someplace else.

/

It is a National Park. Public lands do have rules. Some of the rules is for visitor safety. Some of the rules is to protect the resource.

It is a National Park. Public lands do have rules. Some of the rules is for visitor safety. Some of the rules is to protect the resource.

50 percent of the rules in National parks are for visitor safety (i.e. DON'T APPROACH BEARS), the rest are to protect the land and wildlife (i.e. DON'T APPROACH BEARS)

From the same article: "The National Park Service says drones can harass wildlife and the noise is a nuisance to visitors."

Seems obvious to me. Do you disagree?

It's also expensive & hazardous to fish drones out of geysers & hot pools.

50 percent of the rules in National parks are for visitor safety (i.e. DON'T APPROACH BEARS), the rest are to protect the land and wildlife (i.e. DON'T APPROACH BEARS)

And morons ignore that rule all the time.

We were biking on a closed road (Cades Cover in the GSMNP) one Saturday and some human mom had her kids posing for photos on the side of the road. The ground dropped off about 6 feet or so, and mamma bear with two cubs were not 20 feet from those kids. Another time same road we watched a bunch of people get out of their cars to approach two cubs up in a tree, mamma bear just 20 yards away, looking really uneasy.... Thank goodness no one's been mauled recently but it's amazing that people think these wild animals are like pets.

Moderator's Warning:
There is nothing in the article about Trump. The OP does not mention Trump. No one in this thread has mentioned Trump except you two. Why don't you two take the hint and STICK TO THE TOPIC.

Hot damn, I didn't even know Trump planned on visiting the park.
/

Didnt you hear? Trump wants to turn it into a golf park.

In most cases, at least around here, if there's a group of noisy people, 50-100 yards is enough space on the trail to no longer be bothered. That's easily done - speed up or stop and let them pass. We do it all the time.

It's entirely different for drones, and for them I think it depends on the park, and in some cases locations within parks. Drones are annoying as hell to me - when they're around it's all I can hear or think about, especially if there are more than one. So as long as the park restricts them to certain areas, which would include away from wildlife, nesting birds, etc. I'm OK with them, but just tell me where that is and let me go someplace else.

A sensible way to handle it would be to limit time, numbers and locations instead of an outright ban. Obviously no-one wants drone racing in a national park, but they can allow for some amazing perspectives in and around nature. Sensible regulation is always preferable to prohibition.

A sensible way to handle it would be to limit time, numbers and locations instead of an outright ban. Obviously no-one wants drone racing in a national park, but they can allow for some amazing perspectives in and around nature. Sensible regulation is always preferable to prohibition.

If you have the resources and/or manpower to enforce it. Much easier and cheaper to just ban something like that than to have to take on all the extra work. Funding for National Parks is limited.

Again, it depends. The GSMNP doesn't allow ATVs or dirt bikes on the trails - they are banned - and it's because motorcycles/ATVs aren't compatible with hiking. If that's your hobby, there are OTHER places set aside for that. Hunting and dogs - also banned in the national parks, but allowed on other government property. Point is sensible regulation sometimes/often means to ban some activities from some parks, because that activity is incompatible with other activities in that park.

If I hike to the top of Mt. LeConte, which is the highest point in the Smokies, a bunch of drones buzzing around is simply incompatible with me and others watching the sun rise or set over the horizon and appreciating nature and the beauty around us. So the park either manages for the drone operators or the hikers - can't do both.

I believe in personal space, if someone is inside of arms reach I do not want to be there I politely push them away.

If a drone gets within shotgun range of me I politely shoot it out of the air..

I believe in personal space, if someone is inside of arms reach I do not want to be there I politely push them away.

If a drone gets within shotgun range of me I politely shoot it out of the air..

I have to admit that hunting drones does sound like fun. ;)

I have to admit that hunting drones does sound like fun. ;)

P.S. I saw Willie play with the grateful dead, it was one of the special moments of my life. Third row...

P.S. I saw Willie play with the grateful dead, it was one of the special moments of my life. Third row...

I'm pretty jealous of that. I only saw the Grateful Dead one time, and it was an experience I won't forget. My younger brother saw them many times, turned me on to the bootleg tapes. Before that all I heard was the mostly bad studio recordings. They were really great musicians - which I didn't know until the bootlegs. :peace

Anyway, got tickets last week to see Willie in Knoxville in January. Haven't looked forward to a concert more in a long, long time.

I'm pretty jealous of that. I only saw the Grateful Dead one time, and it was an experience I won't forget. My younger brother saw them many times, turned me on to the bootleg tapes. Before that all I heard was the mostly bad studio recordings. They were really great musicians - which I didn't know until the bootlegs. :peace

Anyway, got tickets last week to see Willie in Knoxville in January. Haven't looked forward to a concert more in a long, long time.

Hmm... that (bolded above) seems to indicate that you did not experience it correctly. ;)

Back
Top Bottom