• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:15]What Should We Do With Saudi Arabia?

What Should We Do With Saudi Arabia?

• Total voters

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the situation with Saudi Arabia.

Re: What Should We Do With Saudi Arabia?

President Trump clearly admires Kings and other dictators. Trump is dangerous.

I can't think of a recent president who praised the killing of a journalist. Saudi Arabia is the most dictatorial regime in the world.

President Trump clearly admires Kings and other dictators. Trump is dangerous.

I can't think of a recent president who praised the killing of a journalist. Saudi Arabia is the most dictatorial regime in the world.

Ummmmmmmmm. Did you answer the poll?

Somewhere between a slap on the wrist and telling them to shove it. Real, painful sanctions, with the agreement that they will ease in time with good behavior, but could be reinstated or worse upon further actions. Note for the record that this is based upon the assumption that the intelligence services have good evidence that they are guilty, which seems likely.

other : announce a thirty year public / private moonshot with the goal of completely replacing oil as a transportation fuel.

other : announce a thirty year public / private moonshot with the goal of completely replacing oil as a transportation fuel.

Or use the moment to pressure them to embrace more Democratic principles or end their war in Yemen.

The notion that we can only choose between breaking off all relations or giving them permission to murder journalists is nonsense.

I left grade school a long time ago. Not interested in quizzes.

It's not a quiz. It's a poll asking your opinion. You are using it as a platform to attack Trump but you aren't man enough to even answer the poll saying what you think we should do with Saudi Arabia. If you attack Trump for this then you need to man up and vote for "Stick to our values/tell them to shove it". If you can't do that then you are agreeing with how Trump is handling it.

Or use the moment to pressure them to embrace more Democratic principles or end their war in Yemen.

The notion that we can only choose between breaking off all relations or giving them permission to murder journalists is nonsense.

yeah, that is ridiculous. they're bombing school busses with US made weapons. that's sick.

It's not a quiz. It's a poll asking your opinion. You are using it as a platform to attack Trump but you aren't man enough to even answer the poll saying what you think we should do with Saudi Arabia. If you attack Trump for this then you need to man up and vote for "Stick to our values/tell them to shove it". If you can't do that then you are agreeing with how Trump is handling it.

okay. After about third grade I learned how to write in complete sentences. Later, I learned how to establish a thesis and argue for my position. You should try it.

okay. After about third grade I learned how to write in complete sentences. Later, I learned how to establish a thesis and argue for my position. You should try it.

What is your opinion? What is your thesis? What should we do with Saudi Arabia? All you've done is attack Trump for what he is doing without offering any thesis for what you would do.

What is your opinion? What is your thesis? What should we do with Saudi Arabia? All you've done is attack Trump for what he is doing without offering any thesis for what you would do.

Offer them a Jackson and an egg cream, made the right way.

Should have been obvious. Trump SHOULD NOT have praised the Prince of Saudi Arabia. Trump SHOULD NOT have said the CIA was only expressing its feelings. Trump SHOULD NOT have said making a few buck for his weapons merchants justifies MURDERING A CRITIC OF THE SAUDI REGIME.

Other than trying to embarrass our president,how did this become such a huge event? The irony of course is the event happened in a country and with a leader who has killed and imprisoned many of his own citizens.

Moderator's Warning:
This personal back and forth needs to stop. You both need to move on.

Other than trying to embarrass our president,how did this become such a huge event? The irony of course is the event happened in a country and with a leader who has killed and imprisoned many of his own citizens.

Khashogi was not a full citizen of the US but he was a legal and permanent resident. His children are US citizens.

Should have been obvious. Trump SHOULD NOT have praised the Prince of Saudi Arabia. Trump SHOULD NOT have said the CIA was only expressing its feelings. Trump SHOULD NOT have said making a few buck for his weapons merchants justifies MURDERING A CRITIC OF THE SAUDI REGIME.

But, what should he have done? You have to have an opinion other than just being anti-Trump.

Which in a round about way is the reason for this poll and thread. Saudi Arabia is not a democracy and has many archaic and downright brutal laws that suppress many rights of their own people. It is and always as been their way of life. So, the killing of Koshoggi wasn't really anything extremely out of the ordinary for them and yet Obama and most all other presidents, were never really attacked by the press or expected to sanction Saudi for their way of life and yet here we are with the media making a big deal out of this just to be anti-Trump.

let me get some of this straight...a Saudi citizen gets murdered in a foreign country by a foreign national and somehow the US media is going ape over this? Explain? Why is this more a world event than when the Obama administration ordered, the military using a drone, to murder a US citizen in Yemen?

Greetings, Moderate Right. :2wave:

IIRC, Kissinger's deal with Saudi Arabia in the 1970s was a fantastic "bonus" for our country, since any country on this planet that wanted to buy Saudi oil had to convert their currency to US dollars, which began the "petro-dollar" terminology, thus benefitting both us and the Saudis. I don't recall what happened fairly recently to stop that agreement, and who in the US was responsible, but America lost a very lucrative monetary benefit when it did!

If you are referring to the murder of Khashoggi, I don't have an opinion who might be responsible, but life over there does seem to be a lot more "chancy" than I would be comfortable with! :(

Saudi Arabia should be sanctioned using the Magnitsky Act. They should have their U.S. assets frozen and no Saudis allowed into this country. No business transactions should be done between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia until the Crown Prince is removed from his throne and replaced.

Apply similar sanctions to those that Britain and the US used against Russia for using their nerve agent on former citizens in England.

Greetings, Moderate Right. :2wave:

IIRC, Kissinger's deal with Saudi Arabia in the 1970s was a fantastic "bonus" for our country, since any country on this planet that wanted to buy Saudi oil had to convert their currency to US dollars, which began the "petro-dollar" terminology, thus benefitting both us and the Saudis. I don't recall what happened fairly recently to stop that agreement, and who in the US was responsible, but America lost a very lucrative monetary benefit when it did!

If you are referring to the murder of Khashoggi, I don't have an opinion who might be responsible, but life over there does seem to be a lot more "chancy" than I would be comfortable with! :(

i remember the massive oil shocks of '73 and '79 ... hardly a reason to celebrate kissinger's involvement in world affairs
they both resulted in immediate national turmoil and long term economic recession
fortunately, the USA is more self sustainable with regard to petroleum today than then, while the world's economy remains
dependent upon ready access to saudi oil reserves
we have already tightened the spigot of iran, we do not need to precipitate another oil shock by doing the same to the house of saud
this is the appropriate time to underscore to SA that there will be NO nuclear deal. as signitors of the Nuclear non-Proliferation Agreement, the saudis are not eligible to build - or buy - a nuclear weapon
and no more arms will be sold until our government has been convinced MSB has been subjected to a fair trial for his involvement in the journalist's grisly death

I count the dead in Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. and don't think the USA realistically projects high moral values. I think it is obvious that we are not much different thatn the Saudis, but our MSM suppresses the negative moral issues that the USA embodies. We, as ordinary people/citizens/taxpayers would no associate with the scumbag Saudis if we actually had a choice in the matter. Those that think our gubmint represents high moral ground are deluding themselves to stay in their comfort zones. To "DO nothing" encourages the worst traits of a dictatorship/mnarchy. It is blatantly obvious that the issue is Corporate, not populist. The Corporations (fascists) need the financial link with Saudi Arabia and the people (Populists) abhor it. I guess that narrows my vote to other.
/

Sanctions. We should also reduce trade and oil reliance on them. This is a sign that we need to stop being so reliant upon oil, period, and move toward more renewable and climate-friendly sources of energy.

But sanctions at the least, definitely not Trump being Saudi Arabia's bitch.

Back
Top Bottom