• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 146] Three killed, four wounded in California bowling alley shooting

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lifornia-bowling-alley-shooting-idUSKCN1OZ08J

(Reuters) - Three men were killed and four wounded in a shooting at a bowling alley in the Los Angeles suburb of Torrance and police said early on Saturday they were searching for a suspect or suspects.

The incident followed a fight at the Gable House Bowl, a bowling alley and arcade that also offers laser tag, according to local media.
======================================================
Maybe I'm just getting old, but 50-60- years ago you didn't hear about incidents like this. Now there are at least weekly mass shootings. Some say too many guns. I think the problem is too many people combined with too easy access to guns.

Re: Three killed, four wounded in California bowling alley shooting

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lifornia-bowling-alley-shooting-idUSKCN1OZ08J

(Reuters) - Three men were killed and four wounded in a shooting at a bowling alley in the Los Angeles suburb of Torrance and police said early on Saturday they were searching for a suspect or suspects.

The incident followed a fight at the Gable House Bowl, a bowling alley and arcade that also offers laser tag, according to local media.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but 50-60- years ago you didn't hear about incidents like this. Now there are at least weekly mass shootings. Some say too many guns. I think the problem is too many people combined with too easy access to guns.

You didn't hear about a lot of things 50-60 years ago because there was no 24/7 news or the internet.

Yes but we had TV then also. I can recall them announcing how many N Korean MiGs had been shot down by our fighter pilots each day during the Korean War, so we got the news. There were no mass shootings then. The wire services AP & UPI would be covering that for the TV stations.

Yes but we had TV then also. I can recall them announcing how many N Korean MiGs had been shot down by our fighter pilots each day during the Korean War, so we got the news. There were no mass shootings then. The wire services AP & UPI would be covering that for the TV stations.

Maybe...... But we did have lots and lots of guns then so what has changed?

You didn't hear about a lot of things 50-60 years ago because there was no 24/7 news or the internet.

We still had law enforcement and kept records sweetie.

Shooting incidents killed at least 10 every four years from 1984 to 2004. There have been four this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/08/frequency-high-fatality-mass-shootings-has-increased-significantly/?utm_term=.f401879544c5

That's a really stupid statement:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States

Screenshot (114).jpg

Screenshot (113).jpg

There are definitely more now, but to say there were NONE 50-60 years ago is just asinine.

We still had law enforcement and kept records sweetie.

Shooting incidents killed at least 10 every four years from 1984 to 2004. There have been four this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/08/frequency-high-fatality-mass-shootings-has-increased-significantly/?utm_term=.f401879544c5

"Sweetie"? :roll:

Law enforcement keeping records =/= the constant stream of news that we have now. Now we hear about EVERYTHING that happens because of the internet and 24/7 news. And we hear about it immediately and can usually watch it AS IT'S HAPPENING because of how many people have video cameras in their hands all of the time. If you're perusing Twitter, you'll know it before anyone watching news networks.

Also the access to instant media makes it easier to find out about shootings than when you had 3 major networks and no cable TV no internet etc. I'm pretty sure it was easier to obtain a gun 50-60 years ago than it is now. I bought a Mauser at the GI surplus for $29 back in the 60's no paper work needed. I bought a 22 rifle at a Wal Mart no paper work needed. I bought a 12 gauge shot gun at Sears no paperwork needed.

Last edited:

"Sweetie"? :roll:

Law enforcement keeping records =/= the constant stream of news that we have now. Now we hear about EVERYTHING that happens because of the internet and 24/7 news. And we hear about it immediately and can usually watch it AS IT'S HAPPENING because of how many people have video cameras in their hands all of the time. If you're perusing Twitter, you'll know it before anyone watching news networks.

But we sill know that these mass shootings are getting more and more common every year. When will we say enough?

Also the access to instant media makes it easier to find out about shootings than when you had 3 major networks and no cable TV no internet etc. I'm pretty sure it was easier to obtain a gun 50-60 years ago than it is now. I bought a Mauser at the GI surplus for $29 back in the 60's no paper work needed. I bought a 22 rifle at a Wal Mart no paper work needed. I bought a 12 gauge shot gun at Sears no paperwork needed.

Ahh the good old days when we had half the population and assault rifles were still only in the hands of soldiers. My how things have changed.

Civilians started to be able to buy the weapons shortly after they were developed for the military, but Chivers argues that doing so was still relatively uncommon. Many American gun-owners didn’t know or didn’t think about the option of owning a semiautomatic weapon.

That changed after a shooting at a Stockton, Calif., elementary school on Jan. 17, 1989, that left 5 dead and 29 wounded.

“Before Stockton, most people didn’t know you could buy those guns,” Chris Bartocci, a former employee of AR-15 manufacturer Colt and author of Black Rifle II, told CNN. He argues that people went out and bought the weapon after reading and hearing the news reports about the school shooting.

Florida School Shooting: Why Civilians Started Buying AR-15s | Time

Last edited:

Ahh the good old days when he had half the population and assault rifles were still only in the hands of soldiers. My how things have changed.

You still think a pistol grip makes a semi automatic gun an assault rifle?

But we sill know that these mass shootings are getting more and more common every year. When will we say enough?

We already do.

[/B]

We already do.

The NRA supporting Gun Nuts don't...They babble on about how America needs "more" guns etc

You still think a pistol grip makes a semi automatic gun an assault rifle?

Actually it is the mechanism that is designed for the high rates of fire needed for the military.

It seems California and all of its State gun control laws doesn't do that much good.

It seems California and all of its State gun control laws doesn't do that much good.

They should have tighter controls...Thanks for the advice

Why the M16/AR15/M4/etc. series of weapons are so problematic:

A former special-operations doctor explains why he would rather be shot with an AK-47 than an M4

Business Insider

Admittedly, I'd rather not be shot with either, but if I had to choose, I'd take a round from the AK-47 over the M4 any day of the week. To add a caveat to that statement, I'm talking from relatively close range here — say up to 150 to 200 meters.

To understand why, it's important to first take a very basic look at the physics behind terminal ballistics.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ak-47-wound-over-an-m4-2015-12

56786ae572f2c1de008b74c4-960-720.jpg

The NRA supporting Gun Nuts don't...They babble on about how America needs "more" guns etc

And? That doesn’t equate to “more mass shootings”. Guns can’t do anything without a human.

Further evidence:

Wounds From Military-Style Rifles? ‘A Ghastly Thing to See’
Trauma surgeons tell what it is really like to try to repair such devastating injuries. “Bones are exploded, soft tissue is absolutely destroyed,” one said.

March 4, 2018
Left, an X-ray of a leg showing a bullet wound delivered by an assault rifle used in combat. Right, an X-ray of a leg that sustained a bullet wound from a low-energy bullet, inflicted by a weapon like a handgun in Philadelphia.via Dr. Jeremy W. Cannon

Left, an X-ray of a leg showing a bullet wound delivered by an assault rifle used in combat. Right, an X-ray of a leg that sustained a bullet wound from a low-energy bullet, inflicted by a weapon like a handgun in Philadelphia.via Dr. Jeremy W. Cannon
Perhaps no one knows the devastating wounds inflicted by assault-style rifles better than the trauma surgeons who struggle to repair them. The doctors say they are haunted by their experiences confronting injuries so dire they struggle to find words to describe them.

At a high school in Parkland, Fla., 17 people were recently killed with just such a weapon — a semiautomatic AR-15. It was legal there for Nikolas Cruz, 19, the suspect in the shooting, to buy a civilian version of the military’s standard rifle, while he would have had to be 21 to buy a less powerful and accurate handgun.

Many factors determine the severity of a wound, including a bullet’s mass, velocity and composition, and where it strikes. The AR-15, like the M4 and M16 rifles issued to American soldiers, shoots lightweight, high-speed bullets that can cause grievous bone and soft tissue wounds, in part by turning sideways, or “yawing,” when they hit a person. Surgeons say the weapons produce the same sort of horrific injuries seen on battlefields.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/health/parkland-shooting-victims-ar15.html

What have we done about reducing mass shootings?

The little “no guns allowed” signs aren’t working?

How about focus on the PEOPLE behind the object instead of the object that can’t hurt anyone without a psychopath behind it.

Last edited:

People appear to be taking their bowling leagues a lot more serious than in days past.

Actually it is the mechanism that is designed for the high rates of fire needed for the military.
You know that any assault rifle ban that happened in the 90's and these laws to make you register assault weapons in California are all just regular semi automatic rifles with pistol grips, their is no mechanism that allows them to fire at higher rates compared to shoulder stocks.
If we were talking about 3 round burst fire like the military select fire weapons then we'd be in agreement but they are already made illegal under the automatic weapons ban.

No, he's right. Back in the 60's mass murder was practically an unheard of phenomena in America. I can remember when Richard Speck systematically murdered 8 female nursing students in a campus apartment in Chicago in 1966. That was a HUGE story that shockingly captured the attention of the entire nation making headlines coast to coast. Then a month later or so came the Texas Tower shooting in which 17 people died and that's when questions began to arise about whether there was something going haywire or some kind of sickness that was beginning to be unleashed upon our American society. Back then those mass murders were earth shattering events.

Back
Top Bottom