• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 146] Three killed, four wounded in California bowling alley shooting

Re: Three killed, four wounded in California bowling alley shooting

You didn't hear about a lot of things 50-60 years ago because there was no 24/7 news or the internet.

Also I would like to remind you that the 60's was when television came of age in America. If your family had a television you religiously watched together at least one of the 3 major tv network news shows each and every day or night. Without fail. Plus practically everyone subscribed to at least one newspaper and in many places they put out morning and evening editions on the weekdays. So it wasn't anywhere near as primitive or as information barren as you're making it out to be. Take the Kennedy assassination for example. It is estimated that nearly 80 to 90 percent of all Americans knew that their President had been shot and killed within 2 hours after the event. It became clear that things have changed

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lifornia-bowling-alley-shooting-idUSKCN1OZ08J

(Reuters) - Three men were killed and four wounded in a shooting at a bowling alley in the Los Angeles suburb of Torrance and police said early on Saturday they were searching for a suspect or suspects.

The incident followed a fight at the Gable House Bowl, a bowling alley and arcade that also offers laser tag, according to local media.
======================================================
Maybe I'm just getting old, but 50-60- years ago you didn't hear about incidents like this. Now there are at least weekly mass shootings. Some say too many guns. I think the problem is too many people combined with too easy access to guns.

access to guns was higher years ago-before 1968 you could buy them by mail

Ahh the good old days when we had half the population and assault rifles were still only in the hands of soldiers. My how things have changed.

Florida School Shooting: Why Civilians Started Buying AR-15s | Time

you are clueless about what an assault rifle is. in the 1950s and the 1960s-the US government sold hundreds of thousands of MI Carbines to civilians. few of those were every used in crimes. And an MI carbine functions exactly the same as an AR 15. Its standard magazines are 15 and 30 rounds. And its easier to conceal than an AR 15 and at the ranges 99% of the massacres are committed, at, its just as lethal

You still think a pistol grip makes a semi automatic gun an assault rifle?

or how does a pistol grip or a flash hider or a bayonet lug converts a firearm in "general use" that "is not unusually dangerous" into one that is "not in general use" and is "unusually dangerous"?

Actually it is the mechanism that is designed for the high rates of fire needed for the military.

that's really stupid -the high rate of fire is fully automatic and you cannot legally buy such a firearm made after May 19, 1986. NO massacres of Citizens have ever involved legally owned assault rifles. NOT ONE

Why the M16/AR15/M4/etc. series of weapons are so problematic:

except the AK47 is not the proper comparison The AK 47 has been obsolete for decades. it was issued mainly in the fifties and sixties. The proper comparison is the AK 75 with a 545x39 bullet and its projectile is nastier than the standard issue M193 or SS109 556 projectile. and that "doctor" didn't compare the AR round to say the most common hunting cartridge in the USA-a 180 Grain soft tip 30-06 bullet

or how does a pistol grip or a flash hider or a bayonet lug converts a firearm in "general use" that "is not unusually dangerous" into one that is "not in general use" and is "unusually dangerous"?
It doesn't, its all about reducing sales of the #1 selling style of rifle.

access to guns was higher years ago-before 1968 you could buy them by mail

Access to guns wasn't higher. It was easier. Far less laws and regulations. It wasn't until around Obama's first year in office, 2009, that the number of guns in America exceeded the number of people in America for the first time.

Access to guns wasn't higher. It was easier. Far less laws and regulations. It wasn't until around Obama's first year in office, 2009, that the number of guns in America exceeded the number of people in America for the first time.

but gun banners claim less people percentage wise own guns. I don't have more access if I own 40 guns instead of 30. If 80% of the population owns one gun each that means more access than if 50% each owns 30 guns

Yes but we had TV then also. I can recall them announcing how many N Korean MiGs had been shot down by our fighter pilots each day during the Korean War, so we got the news. There were no mass shootings then. The wire services AP & UPI would be covering that for the TV stations.
You had three over-the-air channels with a couple of hours of news each day. I remember those days, too.

Mail order military grade assault rifles.

Attachments

• alpinead.jpg
    alpinead.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 41

but gun banners claim less people percentage wise own guns. I don't have more access if I own 40 guns instead of 30. If 80% of the population owns one gun each that means more access than if 50% each owns 30 guns

Gun Banners=NRA paranoid BULL****

And fewer mass shootings. That proves that easier access to guns doesn't lead to more mass shootings.

Gun Banners=NRA paranoid BULL****

lets examine your claims. You constantly demonstrate an irrational hatred of gun owners. If you were in power, I am sure you'd try to forcibly confiscate guns. SO why do you howl about paranoia when you would do exactly as the most alarmist of the pro gun advocates claim?

No, he's right. Back in the 60's mass murder was practically an unheard of phenomena in America. I can remember when Richard Speck systematically murdered 8 female nursing students in a campus apartment in Chicago in 1966. That was a HUGE story that shockingly captured the attention of the entire nation making headlines coast to coast. Then a month later or so came the Texas Tower shooting in which 17 people died and that's when questions began to arise about whether there was something going haywire or some kind of sickness that was beginning to be unleashed upon our American society. Back then those mass murders were earth shattering events.

I agreed with him that he's right that he didn't hear about these things (because there was no 24/7 news or internet). He's not right in saying mass shootings never happened back then.

I think if you were to look at the numbers I think would find that percentage American households that own at least 1 gun has either declined somewhat or hasn't fluctuated all that much. It is also said that just 3% of that number own the vast majority of those guns with the average being around 17.

Last edited:

lets examine your claims. You constantly demonstrate an irrational hatred of gun owners. If you were in power, I am sure you'd try to forcibly confiscate guns. SO why do you howl about paranoia when you would do exactly as the most alarmist of the pro gun advocates claim?

You sound scared, paranoid....

I agreed with him that he's right that he didn't hear about these things (because there was no 24/7 news or internet). He's not right in saying mass shootings never happened back then.

Almost never. The list in your own link shows only 4 such incidents nationwide throughout the entire 60s.

except the AK47 is not the proper comparison The AK 47 has been obsolete for decades. it was issued mainly in the fifties and sixties. The proper comparison is the AK 75 with a 545x39 bullet and its projectile is nastier than the standard issue M193 or SS109 556 projectile and that "doctor" didn't compare the AR round to say the most common hunting cartridge in the USA-a 180 Grain soft tip 30-06 bullet.

Show me the xrays, and a doctors assessment, proving that the AK75's "545x39 bullet" is nastier.

Further, give a report on the number of times the 30-06 has been used in a mass shooting and the damage it did on the human targets.

Almost never. The list in your own link shows only 4 such incidents nationwide throughout the entire 60s.

And several in the 70s.

He said never.

Show me the xrays, and a doctors assessment, proving that the AK75's "545x39 bullet" is nastier.

It tumbles post penetration. Way worse than the 5.56, which also came under scrutiny for that.

Mail order military grade assault rifles.

Actually an M1 carbine would not be considered an illegal assault rifle in most states that have such bans and I don't think anyone would argue that it is equal to an AR 15 either.

It tumbles post penetration. Way worse than the 5.56, which also came under scrutiny for that.

Xray, and doctors report.

Xray, and doctors report.

I was told, "don't get shot by those, they tumble, they were banned by Geneva." They were used as sniper rifles when I was in many years ago. I dunno if they were banned by Geneva or not, but I've seen stuff backing up the tumble claim.

Edit: perhaps I was thinking ak74. Probably same concept.

Back
Top Bottom