• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:1422] Federal Deficit Soars

Re: Federal Deficit Soars

mandatory spending!

social security and medicare!

the Republican Dream! Dismantle the Social Safety Net. put all those retired working class Americans who paid into that system on Welfare. Oh wait! No welfare either!

now that is the 3rd rail in politics. those politicians want to keep their phoney baloney jobs.

Not the Republican dream, but this all sounds good to me. Im not running for office, so I can be honest.

Trump deficit is already much higher (more than 20%) than Obama's closing deficit. GW Bush gave Obama the worst presidential handoff since the Great Depression. 2 Wars, a housing/banking crisis, multi-millionaire/billionaire CEO's gone amuck, a bankrupt American Auto Industry, a very-very deflated stock market, etc., etc. Once Obama cleaned up the Bush mess, the deficit started dropping sharply. Your dishonesty is misguided and disgusting.

Under that logic, Obama is responsible for the Trump deficit. If Bush is Responsible for Obama, Obama is responsible for Trump. Thanks Obama.

And yet a record surplus in April. Amazing how the first two months of a tax cut are your standards as people are still paying 2017 taxes. Interesting how the GDP growth the first qtr. was meager as a result with the second qtr booming. Waiting for you to post the treasury data to support your claim, none so far and I don't expect any

Again.. its pointed out why the assumptions you are making based on raw data are wrong. Look man... everyone here but you can see that I have systematically rebutted every single one of your arguments.

I already posted the valid data that supports my claim..

You just continue to deny facts and hang your hat on raw data that even the Treasury.. would tell you does not mean what you think it means.

Have a good day con.

Again.. its pointed out why the assumptions you are making based on raw data are wrong. Look man... everyone here but you can see that I have systematically rebutted every single one of your arguments.

I already posted the valid data that supports my claim..

You just continue to deny facts and hang your hat on raw data that even the Treasury.. would tell you does not mean what you think it means.

Have a good day con.

since you believe the raw data is wrong what do taxpayers pay debt service on?? what exactly does a 68% increase in FIT revenue actually mean to you? How can that possibly happen with 3 straight years of tax cuts??

Every day is another adventure with people like you who never respond with anything but personal opinions that you pass off as fact

since you believe the raw data is wrong what do taxpayers pay debt service on?? what exactly does a 68% increase in FIT revenue actually mean to you? How can that possibly happen with 3 straight years of tax cuts??

Every day is another adventure with people like you who never respond with anything but personal opinions that you pass off as fact
He didn’t say he disagreed with the raw data. He said that the raw data confirms his position not yours.

He didn’t say he disagreed with the raw data. He said that the raw data confirms his position not yours.

So then his opinion trumps the 500 BILLION in debt service on budget this fiscal year? interesting logic on your part as usual. You want to interpret the raw data through your leftwing lenses as taxpayer fund the payment of debt service on that raw data.

Thats usually the case with Con....he doesn't know how to read the data and he always posts data that shows the exact opposite of the spin he tries to engage in....its quite humorous.

Thats usually the case with Con....he doesn't know how to read the data and he always posts data that shows the exact opposite of the spin he tries to engage in....its quite humorous.

So let's see if I have this right, Debt Service(Interest Expense) on the budget is open to interpretation? Taxpayers really aren't paying the raw numbers because those numbers aren't being interpreted properly by the Treasury Dept.? Quite interesting

So let's see if I have this right, Debt Service(Interest Expense) on the budget is open to interpretation? Taxpayers really aren't paying the raw numbers because those numbers aren't being interpreted properly by the Treasury Dept.? Quite interesting

here is a nice graphic for you conservative

a nice depiction of Reagan's voodoo economics at work

US-national-debt-GDP-graph.jpg

The Good Lord willing I will be here and will judge Trump on his results not his rhetoric. results matter and results in context something the left ignores. If you disagree with the results posted, then post the data to support your point of view but certainly don't talk about trends that never got us back to pre recession levels or results that weren't representative of the economic conditions before talking office. Any President who took over an economy that was coming out of a severe recession and generated the results Obama generated would have been labeled a disaster which is what I am doing. when you cannot have one year over 3% GDP growth when 2008-2009 were negative and you had a supportive Congress passing your economic stimulus you are going to be deemed a failure, a likeable one but a failure

Obviously,and you make a fair point,but the "Chalice" given to Obama was even more dire,look America has been in Debt for a 100 years and grown expodentially and with it the Debt Interest which has been growing at an unstatainable level.........So what does Trump do first,give tax cuts and looks after the big end of town(claiming the trickle down effect,well this just does Not happen,it is seen for what it is and always has been...BULL****)

So what to do...STOP SPENDING and start living within your means

Your Politicians are for themselves,youe system promotes greed,all or most of your Politicians ARE STRAW MEN...MOST and through the sniping blame games,you let them get away with it...steve

Last edited:

we really just need a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage, unemployment compensation for being unemployed on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States, and Industrial Automation to help with social costs.

Higher paid labor pays more in taxes and creates more in demand.

Their inflation canard is pure, right wing fake news.

Even the dollar menu won't double with modern economics.

here is a nice graphic for you conservative

a nice depiction of Reagan's voodoo economics at work

View attachment 67238668

Got it, the doubling of GDP, 17 million jobs created, a peace dividend, and 68% increase in FIT revenue didn't happen. Please interpret those numbers??

Not going to happen as you radical leftists always ignore anything that refutes your opinions. Obviously Return on Investment doesn't resonate with you. Post the chart for Obama?

No Point,All I will say is,Jobs had and were on a sustained Growth Curve,America had less Debt...but I give Trump fair due,but I want to see what effect his Tarriffs have...Negative methinks,by the way,Wash,what IS the % of job growth in the US,that is being driven by Overseas Companies trading IN THE US.....find out for me,thanks...steve

Obama reduced deficit spending in his last 6 years. Trump is increasing the deficit. He deserves zero credit. Only billionaires should be giving him credit, because they are the only ones walking away like bandits.

Got it, the doubling of GDP, 17 million jobs created, a peace dividend, and 68% increase in FIT revenue didn't happen. Please interpret those numbers??

Not going to happen as you radical leftists always ignore anything that refutes your opinions. Obviously Return on Investment doesn't resonate with you. Post the chart for Obama?

There is only one radical on this particular thread, and that would be you. You are so far ALT Right, that you must be falling off your chair. You wear blinders, and have no concept of actual reality.

When you use the word "LEFTISTS" merely reduces your prose to a politik-speak...this is a serious thread,your comments disqualify You from any real imput,so Stop posting

ever heard of economic lag?

Obama started with the bushole. worst recession since the hoover days. to saddle Obama with all that bush debt is disingenuous at best. But such is partisan politics.

you prefer to ignore the fact that bush took our economy from a balanced federal budget to a near depression with trillion dollar deficits in 8 short years. Hell his policies brought down the entire global financial system.

You do ignore the fact that Trump is following that same bush path that took us over the cliff last time.

and you deny the fact that Clinton had better economic numbers than Reagan and raised taxes and balanced the federal budget.

you have absolutely no creditability here!

OK, but you're not talking about revenue any more, just theory.

Bottom line is simple - tax rate cuts reduce revenue. What happened in the Reagan era was not an exception. You can't cut tax rates and GROW government, spend more.

Tax rate cuts do not cut revenue.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/articl...ndividual-income-taxes-through-july-still-run

<snip>
(CNSNews.com) - The federal government collected a record $1,415,150,000,000 in individual income taxes through the first ten months of fiscal 2018 (October 2017 through July 2018), according to the Monthly Treasury Statement.
<snip>

Last edited:

ever heard of economic lag?

Obama started with the bushole. worst recession since the hoover days. to saddle Obama with all that bush debt is disingenuous at best. But such is partisan politics.

you prefer to ignore the fact that bush took our economy from a balanced federal budget to a near depression with trillion dollar deficits in 8 short years. Hell his policies brought down the entire global financial system.

You do ignore the fact that Trump is following that same bush path that took us over the cliff last time.

and you deny the fact that Clinton had better economic numbers than Reagan and raised taxes and balanced the federal budget.

you have absolutely no creditability here!

What I continue to notice is how you never post data to support your claims. Still waiting...….waiting.....waiting!!

Still don't get it, do you there are two parts to the deficit, budget and inter-government holdings. Clinton added 1.4 trillion to the debt and you can find that at the link I gave you but that isn't what you want to see

Then there is that pesky little fact called Interest on the debt or debt service, another issue you don't understand

For some reason you don't like tax cuts and want the federal bureaucrats rewarded for the 21 trillion dollar debt so take more money out of the pockets of the American consumer and of course people always spend more when they have less take home pay, yeah right!

Until you post data in context it is you that has zero credibility, not me. Facts simply do not support your claims

When you use the word "LEFTISTS" merely reduces your prose to a politik-speak...this is a serious thread,your comments disqualify You from any real imput,so Stop posting

Got, actual data has no place in this forum as you and the rest of the radicals who hate capitalism have proven. Refute the data posted and post your own to support your claims as I have done over and over again only to be ignored and called various names. I am a conservative and most in this forum are indeed radical leftists. The results speak for themselves and are verifiable

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/articl...ndividual-income-taxes-through-july-still-run

<snip>
(CNSNews.com) - The federal government collected a record $1,415,150,000,000 in individual income taxes through the first ten months of fiscal 2018 (October 2017 through July 2018), according to the Monthly Treasury Statement.
<snip>
****cough****
Despite the record amount in individual income taxes collected in the first ten months of this fiscal year, overall federal tax collections declined in the first ten months of this fiscal year compared to last year. In the October-through-July period of fiscal 2017, the Treasury collected $2,820,673,610,000 in total taxes. In the October-through-July period of this fiscal year, the Treasury collected only $2,766,071,000,000.

While individual income taxes collected in the first ten month of the fiscal year increased from 2017 to 2018, corporation income tax collections declined. In the October-through-July period of fiscal 2017, the Treasury collected $239,013,770,000 in corporation income taxes (in constant July 2018 dollars). In the October-through-July period of fiscal 2018, the Treasury collected $166,004,000,000 in corporation income taxes.​

With 2-3% inflation and 2-3% real GDP growth you’d expect income tax receipts to increase by ~5%. Imagine if you got an automatic 5% cost of living increase every year. Your boss cuts your hours by 4%. At the end of the year you made 1% more so your boss says see! Cutting your hours isn’t a pay cut!

<snip>
<snip>

The data you're referencing show that tax receipts have been lower every single month, February through June, in 2018 relative to receipts in the corresponding month in 2017. That is to say, the entire time the new tax cuts have been in effect and implemented (January receipts would undoubtedly also have been lower but the new withholding guidance didn't become effective until February).

The only exception is receipts in April, but the annual April bump is always driven by liabilities incurred during the prior calendar year, i.e., under the old tax code.

Since we're looking at partial year data that includes the growth in receipts October-January (and the bump in April receipts) under the old tax code, so far the drop in tax revenue seen in February, March, May, and June of this year under the new one has been slightly more than offset. But that's a far cry from pretending the tax cuts haven't been reducing revenue.

Monthly Treasury Statement Receipts ($ Millions)
FY2017​
FY2018​
Δ​
Oct$221.7$235.3$13.6 (6%)
Nov$199.9$208.3$8.5 (4%)
Dec$319.2$325.8$6.5 (2%)
Jan$344.1$361.0$17.0 (5%)
Feb$171.7$155.6-$16.1 (-9%)
Mar$216.6$210.8-$5.8 (-3%)
Apr$455.6$510.4$54.8 (12%)
May$240.4$217.1-$23.2 (-10%)
June$338.7$316.3-$22.4 (-7%)

Not hard to spot in the data the tax cuts going into effect. Because they reduce revenue.

Last edited:

What I continue to notice is how you never post data to support your claims. Still waiting...….waiting.....waiting!!

Still don't get it, do you there are two parts to the deficit, budget and inter-government holdings. Clinton added 1.4 trillion to the debt and you can find that at the link I gave you but that isn't what you want to see

Then there is that pesky little fact called Interest on the debt or debt service, another issue you don't understand

For some reason you don't like tax cuts and want the federal bureaucrats rewarded for the 21 trillion dollar debt so take more money out of the pockets of the American consumer and of course people always spend more when they have less take home pay, yeah right!

Until you post data in context it is you that has zero credibility, not me. Facts simply do not support your claims

Tax Cut Economics have Always been Worthless.

<snip>
<snip>

OK, great, your view is that the way to GROW GOVERNMENT, spend MORE MONEY, fund MORE PROGRAMS, is to cut tax rates. Got it. Yes, Virginia, there is a Tax Santa Clause!

FWIW, what you posted doesn't disprove my point. See post #1121.

Seriously the idea that tax rate cuts INCREASE revenue and that therefore tax rate increases must REDUCE revenue is absurd. I can't believe an entire political movement buys into voodoo when it comes to tax policy.

Last edited:

****cough****
Despite the record amount in individual income taxes collected in the first ten months of this fiscal year, overall federal tax collections declined in the first ten months of this fiscal year compared to last year. In the October-through-July period of fiscal 2017, the Treasury collected $2,820,673,610,000 in total taxes. In the October-through-July period of this fiscal year, the Treasury collected only $2,766,071,000,000.

While individual income taxes collected in the first ten month of the fiscal year increased from 2017 to 2018, corporation income tax collections declined. In the October-through-July period of fiscal 2017, the Treasury collected $239,013,770,000 in corporation income taxes (in constant July 2018 dollars). In the October-through-July period of fiscal 2018, the Treasury collected $166,004,000,000 in corporation income taxes.​

With 2-3% inflation and 2-3% real GDP growth you’d expect income tax receipts to increase by ~5%. Imagine if you got an automatic 5% cost of living increase every year. Your boss cuts your hours by 4%. At the end of the year you made 1% more so your boss says see! Cutting your hours isn’t a pay cut!

Did they change the metric for this particular measure? Seems odd. Why would they measure one collection of data in nominal dollars and the other in constant dollars?

Regardless of that, average monthly income to the Feds from All Sources rose through April 2018 with April 2018 being the highest month in the year and a half span. April's always a pretty good month.

I couldn't find a more recent government-issued set of data.

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/fsreports/rpt/mthTreasStmt/mts0418.pdf

Back
Top Bottom