• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:132]Trump's wall is about ego and having a politically efficacious talking point, not border...

Re: Trump's wall is about ego and having a politically efficacious talking point, not border securit

I get it now. You re one of those dishonest types who truly believes if you put a word like SEEMS or I THINK or IT MIGHT BE or I GUESS or COULD BE or variations of those terms, that it gives you unrestricted license to make claims that you do not have to back up because its just you blowing smoke as opposed to making an allegation of claimed fact.

WOW!!!!!!

Just playing the same silly game you play.

Re: Trump's wall is about ego and having a politically efficacious talking point, not border securit

Just playing the same silly game you play.

The only thing I do is engage in debate and part of that is challenging the alleged claims of others to back up their statements. You could not do so regarding your statement on liberals and Stormy Daniels.

The only thing I do is engage in debate and part of that is challenging the alleged claims of others to back up their statements. You could not do so regarding your statement on liberals and Stormy Daniels.

Then try backing up your BS about the NRA.

Trumps Wall is about trying to do what he told us that he would try to do.

Trump, one of the last honest guys around.

He told us Mexico would pay for the wall over and over again. He lied to us.

Then try backing up your BS about the NRA.

What so called "bs" are you referring to?

He told us Mexico would pay for the wall over and over again. He lied to us.

Congressional demorats also lie when they assert that they are for better border security. Where, exactly, is that proposal? Do not refer to parts of "comprehensive reform" packages like the 1986 'deal' which assured us that amnesty would be a one time affair followed immediately by securing the border.

The wall will work. Everyone knows this including Democrats, maybe especially Democrats. That is why they oppose it. They oppose real border security. That has become clear.

Congressional demorats also lie when they assert that they are for better border security. Where, exactly, is that proposal? Do not refer to parts of "comprehensive reform" packages like the 1986 'deal' which assured us that amnesty would be a one time affair followed immediately by securing the border.

The Executive proposes, the Legislature disposes. That is how it works, particularly when the President made it HIS issue. Its that simple.

Since he has yet to come up to Congress proposing ANYTHING, he is lucky he got the $1.6B he got in the earlier CR.

The wall will work. Everyone knows this including Democrats, maybe especially Democrats. That is why they oppose it. They oppose real border security. That has become clear.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but it is my understand that what is commonly called THE WALL is only intended to be a partial obstacle to be erected at various portions of the US - MEXICO border and will absolutely not be along the entire border.

Is that correct?

Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but it is my understand that what is commonly called THE WALL is only intended to be a partial obstacle to be erected at various portions of the US - MEXICO border and will absolutely not be along the entire border.

Is that correct?

It won't be in very mountainous regions but those are areas which can easily be monitored by other means. The wall will work quite effectively. Any argument that walls don't work is simply nonsense. They do. It's why people keep building them.

It won't be in very mountainous regions but those are areas which can easily be monitored by other means. The wall will work quite effectively. Any argument that walls don't work is simply nonsense. They do. It's why people keep building them.

I do not understand what you mean when you say some areas can "easily be monitored by other means". Can you explain that?

If at some point the wall is no longer there, why can't someone simply enter at that point or wherever the wall is not in place? Why would I bother going through a barrier when I can go around it?

The Executive proposes, the Legislature disposes. That is how it works, particularly when the President made it HIS issue. Its that simple.

Since he has yet to come up to Congress proposing ANYTHING, he is lucky he got the $1.6B he got in the earlier CR.

I agree that the onus is on Trump (et al) to explain how Mexico is paying for the Great Wall Of Trump (his very clear campaign promise). But it is also incumbent on all of those who assert that they are for "better border security" to come forward with their own plan's details so that they may be evaluated and/or implemented. The simple truth of the matter is that nobody in congress wants to change the illegal immigration situation and the easiest way to do that is by not offering or passing any proposed changes.

I do not understand what you mean when you say some areas can "easily be monitored by other means". Can you explain that?

If at some point the wall is no longer there, why can't someone simply enter at that point or wherever the wall is not in place? Why would I bother going through a barrier when I can go around it?

So, we simply closely monitor those areas such as mountainous regions where the wall doesn't exist. It's a heck of lot easier than monitoring the entire border as we have to do now isn't it? The wall will funnel people to specific areas. It's not hard to figure out.

Trump is the most honest guy to come down the Pike in a long while.

Not having a filter between his pea brain and his big, fat mouth is NOT honesty, it's a lack of introspection. Why do you continue to heap praise upon this dolt?

I agree that the onus is on Trump (et al) to explain how Mexico is paying for the Great Wall Of Trump (his very clear campaign promise). But it is also incumbent on all of those who assert that they are for "better border security" to come forward with their own plan's details so that they may be evaluated and/or implemented. The simple truth of the matter is that nobody in congress wants to change the illegal immigration situation and the easiest way to do that is by not offering or passing any proposed changes.

Least we forget, though it did not adhere to any process and was simply a concoction of "lets make a deal" Donald, he had the money for his Wall, all $25B of it in a trade DACA for the Wall Bill. Ludicrous on its surface because it was based on nothing but Trump Wall wailing. However, he could have had it if he did not insist on Steve Miller's absurdly draconian changes to Legal Immigration. A bill that was DACA for Wall only fell 6 votes shy of passage in the Senate and only because Trump insisted on the GOP votes to kill it. The Bill Trump supported which was Wall plus Miller Nonsense only attracted 39 votes in the Senate, the worst showing of the 4 Bills brought to the floor. A quick count of GOP Senators would reveal that even they did not want to pass a bill with Miller's garbage in it.

Just for clarity, the only reason McConnell allowed those 4 Bills a shot at a vote on the Floor was because he had agreed to it as part of the CR negotiations from earlier in the year.

So, we simply closely monitor those areas such as mountainous regions where the wall doesn't exist. It's a heck of lot easier than monitoring the entire border as we have to do now isn't it? The wall will funnel people to specific areas. It's not hard to figure out.

How so? Monitoring is monitoring is monitoring. I think Shakespeare said that or something much like it. If that works for one mile - it should work for each and every mile.

How so? Monitoring is monitoring is monitoring. I think Shakespeare said that or something much like it. If that works for one mile - it should work for each and every mile.

If you have a 30 ft wall vs chicken wire, which do you think requires more manpower? The manpower not needed to guard the chicken wire can be used elsewhere.

The entire wall would need to be monitored to prevent the "over" and "under" defeat mechanisms, just as the areas with no wall need to be monitored to prevent the "around" defeat mechanism.

That's what Israel does. You can't just throw up a wall and walk away.

Bottom line : this wall is just another TRUMP product - all faux glitz and minimal if any practical functionality.

Go get the Mexican check Trump promised you and you can build it. Make sure you pay people before you seize land to build...

If you have a 30 ft wall vs chicken wire, which do you think requires more manpower? The manpower not needed to guard the chicken wire can be used elsewhere.

That is a false choice. I never said anything about chicken wire.

The Dems have repeatedly said that we need more security at the borders. They are talking about better technology versus a physical wall which makes much more sense. Also Trump already has 1.6 billion approved of last year by both parties. What has been done with that? Nothing

The entire wall would need to be monitored to prevent the "over" and "under" defeat mechanisms, just as the areas with no wall need to be monitored to prevent the "around" defeat mechanism.

That's what Israel does. You can't just throw up a wall and walk away.

Bottom line : this wall is just another TRUMP product - all faux glitz and minimal if any practical functionality.

Go get the Mexican check Trump promised you and you can build it. Make sure you pay people before you seize land to build...

Look it's very simple. If having a wall is no better than not having a wall, then we should stop building walls. In fact, we should take down all the barriers since they must be even less effective than walls. This is the nonsensical position the left has put itself in. The wall will work. It's why the left opposes it.

I'm still waiting for the day when an honest journalist would ask "Why?" after Chuck Schumer type insists a Wall would be ineffective.
I really want to hear his answer and any followups.

The Dems have repeatedly said that we need more security at the borders. They are talking about better technology versus a physical wall which makes much more sense. Also Trump already has 1.6 billion approved of last year by both parties. What has been done with that? Nothing

Why??

Look it's very simple. If having a wall is no better than not having a wall, then we should stop building walls. In fact, we should take down all the barriers since they must be even less effective than walls. This is the nonsensical position the left has put itself in. The wall will work. It's why the left opposes it.

Your argument is a reducto absurdum.

What percentage of the immigration problem will be solved by a wall? You have no idea.

If we build a taxpayer funded wall along the entire southern and fund 24/7 monitoring of said wall it will probably help some. How much will that cost? Again, you have no idea.

Ladders and tunnels are a great deal cheaper than the great wall of dRumpf.

Walls make sense in some situations, not all. Build walls where it makes sense, not where the collective ego of the Trump cult dictates.

Trump has been repining about his wall for, what, three years now. Why? Because it's politically expedient for him to do so, for among his benighted base, it's galvanizing and because for him it's a matter of ego, looking tough. He said he'd build a beautiful wall; laughable as it was, he referenced his experience in real estate as a basis for his knowing how to build a wall; he said Mexico would pay for his wall; and he led stadium-sized throngs of nitwits (they lacked the sense to know it wasn't doable "from jump") in "build the wall" and "Mexico's going to pay for it" chants.

How do we know that the wall is about politics, about having a rallying/talking point, and that increasing border security is sought not seminally but only ostensibly?
That was two $25B opportunities to get Trump his wall in less than a month and Trump/Congressional Republicans abjured both. Why did they reject the bills? Because to get the $25, Trump/GOP-ers had to agree to a path to citizenship for the ~700K DACA people....As if those folks had anything to do with wall's imagined or realizable border security returns....They're already here. No wall isn't going to stop them from entering the US.​

Wall advocates aren't going to be able to get past "quadratic".

Back
Top Bottom