• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:1303]***To Believe or Not To Believe

Angel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Equivocation of Ambiguity

Do you remember your Shakespeare?

To believe, or not to believe, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The fools and frauds of delusional godlessness,
Or to take manure fork to a pile of horse flops,
And by tossing clean out the barn:

--William Shakespeare, The Cockalorum of Chester

This thread was inspired by post exchanges with "I Lack Belief" Atheists in this forum.

How can a lack of belief be a belief? If you lack something it means that you don't have it.
"Lack of belief" is an equivocation, a way for atheists in name only to avoid commitment. In fact it is an amphiboly, a kind of informal fallacy usually relied on in jokes.
Groucho's Captain Spaulding's "When I was in Africa last year I shot an elephant in my pajamas."
This is the level of the "I lack belief" atheism. It's literally a joke.
No, it isn't a joke. If it is possible to have a belief it is possible to lack a belief. Do you know every belief every human being has ever had in order to agree with them or not? Or do you lack them?

Amphiboly

In the Marx brothers movie Animal Crackers, Groucho Marx's character Captain Spaulding has just returned from an African safari when he speaks the following lines:

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Grammatically, the adjectival phrase "in my pajamas" ought to modify "an elephant", which it immediately follows. However, common sense suggests that it modifies "I". Then, the amphiboly is exploited for humor in the punch line.
Logical Fallacy: Amphiboly

Thesis

To have a belief is to believe.
To lack a belief is not to believe.
To believe or not to believe. That is the question.
Think.

The "I Lack Belief" Atheist is merely equivocating with an ambiguity in order to avoid commitment
This is Bad Faith Atheism
Shun it.

Re: To Believe or Not To Believe

This thread was inspired by post exchanges with "I Lack Belief" Atheists in this forum.

Amphiboly

Thesis

Think.

The "I Lack Belief" Atheist is merely equivocating with an ambiguity in order to avoid commitment
Shun it.

Nice attempt at a strawman trying top tell atheists what they think
Go take some courses on logic and stop posting this nonsense

He didn't remember his Shakespeare.

That would only be a legitimate complaint if that was literally the only statement those people made on the topic. Is every theist who says “I believe in God” equivocating with an ambiguity in order to avoid commitment too?

I lack belief in any gods but I have plenty of other thoughts and opinions on theology, faith, religion and the wider socio-political questions surrounding them.

Also, admitting that you simply don’t know the answer is arguably a more scary and difficult commitment than coming up with some comforting soft answers to the difficult big questions of our existence.

The fools and frauds of delusional gods,
And by tossing clean out the barn.

Out, damned spot!

He didn't remember his Shakespeare.

Remember? Do you honestly think he has ever actually read Shakespeare?

Remember? Do you honestly think he has ever actually read Shakespeare?

To laugh or not to laugh. That is the question.
The slings and arrows of outrageous fallacies
Or to take Arms against a Sea of Strawmen,
And by opposing bump them: to die
a little inside

Last edited:

To dwell on it or not to dwell on it...that is the question...I say not...let 'em be...

Doubt thou the stars are fire,
Doubt that the sun doth move,
Doubt truth to be a liar,
But never doubt I laugh and laugh.

That would only be a legitimate complaint if that was literally the only statement those people made on the topic. Is every theist who says “I believe in God” equivocating with an ambiguity in order to avoid commitment too?

I lack belief in any gods but I have plenty of other thoughts and opinions on theology, faith, religion and the wider socio-political questions surrounding them.

Also, admitting that you simply don’t know the answer is arguably a more scary and difficult commitment than coming up with some comforting soft answers to the difficult big questions of our existence.

Angel is a prime example of an equivocating theist. He knows that once he commits to a particular god he is open for criticism. So he sticks with the ambiguous god and is guilty of the very thing he falsely accuses atheists of.

How many of these identical threads threads do we have to wade thru? If it's the same discussion, can't that continue in one of the myriad previous identical threads? Holy cow.

OM

Think.

How is "I don't believe in X" a difference from "I lack a belief in X"?

If we were discussing ghosts I see no difference in:
1. I don't believe in ghosts.
2. I lack a belief in ghosts.

Can you specify what the atheist position is that you have a problem with? I'd be surprised to find an atheist that disagrees with the phrase "I don't believe in god."

I typically take the weekend off from online forums. Seems every Monday when I return to the forum, it's completely flooded with brand new threads, all outlining the same tired premises.

OM

Christianity has been using the same tired, debunked, arguments for God's existence for hundreds of years. Maybe she's hoping for a miracle, and that a winner is going to emerge from all the fail?

Amphiboly

Thesis

Think.

Shun it.

FFS you either believe in gods or you do not. For those who do not believe in gods; when a believer claims that gods exist and the non-believer rejects that belief: that is normal logic.

We get it: you believe in gods and do not understand how anyone can reject your beliefs.

But now lets talk about your god; where is it now?

I believe in a lot of things. I don't believe in a lot of things. There are a lot of things I have ambiguous beliefs towards. None of that has anything to do with religion or lack of religion.

Another post in frivolous blowhardism, "liked" by fans of frivolous blowhardism.

How many of these identical threads threads do we have to wade thru? If it's the same discussion, can't that continue in one of the myriad previous identical threads? Holy cow.

An almost infinite number? I've already pointed out that it's the religious fanatics that make virtually every thread in this forum because they're looking for attention, then they complain when we respond, like our responding proves them right. I wish people would stop taking the bait.

Quite the opposite. The "theist who says 'I believe in God'" is neither "equivocating with an ambiguity" nor trying "to avoid commitment." That theist is owning his belief.
The atheist who equivocates with the ambiguous phrase "I lack belief" is trying to get out of owning his disbelief.

The fools and frauds of delusional gods,
And by tossing clean out the barn.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But flattery will get you nowhere. And your atheism is in Nowheresville, man.

To laugh or not to laugh. That is the question.
The slings and arrows of outrageous fallacies
Or to take Arms against a Sea of Strawmen,
And by opposing bump them: to die
a little inside
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. This "strawman" that you see has a brain.

Back
Top Bottom