• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:128] Iran protests: could this be the beginning of the end for the Islamic Republic?

There’s zero chance Iran makes this move if they aren’t absolutely confident the protests have been defanged.

Why do you think that? Why couldn’t it just be an attempt at appeasing the protestors- sort of opening the pressure valve a little so the whole pot doesn’t explode?

Why do you think that? Why couldn’t it just be an attempt at appeasing the protestors- sort of opening the pressure valve a little so the whole pot doesn’t explode?

Because these regimes are more scared of a snowball type effect, where one victory grants the protests increasing monument. China is a good example of this. They’ll lighten the grip somewhat, but only after any protests are throughly subdued.

A tragic update:

I am surprised this is the first. I have been hearing accounts of mass graves of protestors. I suppose this is the first officially acknowledged one.

Translation: A fatass Russian wanted to give pointers to Iran on how to kill civilians in large numbers & then how to lie their asses off about it to the world.

Translation: A fatass Russian wanted to give pointers to Iran on how to kill civilians in large numbers & then how to lie their asses off about it to the world.
qestion : what Israel is gonna do in such situation ?

From the article, "Rahnavard had been convicted on the charge of "moharebeh," a Farsi word meaning "waging war against God." That charge has been levied against others in the decades since the revolution and carries the death penalty."

The Iranian clergy neither make up phrases like the highlighted, nor arbitrarily decide on the appropriate penalty. Both are lifted verbatim from the book of peace, tolerance, and love. In this case it's verse 5:33, "Pickthall: The only reward of those who make war upon Allah ..... they will be killed .....".

From the article, "Rahnavard had been convicted on the charge of "moharebeh," a Farsi word meaning "waging war against God." That charge has been levied against others in the decades since the revolution and carries the death penalty."

The Iranian clergy neither make up phrases like the highlighted, nor arbitrarily decide on the appropriate penalty. Both are lifted verbatim from the book of peace, tolerance, and love. In this case it's verse 5:33, "Pickthall: The only reward of those who make war upon Allah ..... they will be killed .....".

That is the problem with theocracy: if you disagree with a corrupt government that is a theocracy, you’re not just calling out some corrupt politicians- you are “waging war against God” Himself. You can see why it would be so attractive to wily and power hungry politicians and clergy.

The Iranians are learning tough lessons about theocracy today that the west learned a few centuries earlier, through all sorts of their own difficult experiences. The Iranians might have leaned by reading a little history of their western neighbors- but sometimes I guess people have to learn things on their own- the hard way.

"It was the belief of all sects at one time that the establishment of Religion by law, was right & necessary; that the true religion ought to be established in exclusion of every other; and that the only question to be decided was which was the true religion. The example of Holland proved that a toleration of sects, dissenting from the established sect, was safe & even useful. The example of the Colonies, now States, which rejected religious establishments altogether, proved that all Sects might be safely & advantageously put on a footing of equal & entire freedom.... We are teaching the world the great truth that Govts do better without Kings & Nobles than with them. The merit will be doubled by the other lesson that Religion flourishes in greater purity, without than with the aid of Gov. "
-James Madison,

“During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution...In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the Civil authority; in many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny: in no instance have they been seen the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty, may have found an established Clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just Government instituted to secure & perpetuate it needs them not.”
-James Madison

"The experience of the United States is a happy disproof of the error so long rooted in the unenlightened minds of well-meaning Christians, as well as in the corrupt hearts of persecuting usurpers, that without a legal incorporation of religious and civil polity, neither could be supported. A mutual independence is found most friendly to practical Religion, to social harmony, and to political prosperity."
-James Madison

(Cont’d next post)

Last edited:
"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish (Muslim) church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church... All National institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
-Thomas Paine

"Mingling religion with politics may be disavowed and reprobated by every inhabitant of America….As an engine of power it serves the purpose of despotism; and as a means of wealth, the avarice of priests; but so far as respects the good of man in general, it leads to nothing here or hereafter.”
_Thomas Paine

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."
-Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.

"They [the Christian clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion."
-Thomas Jefferson to Dr. Benjamin Rush, Sept. 23, 1800

(Cont’d next post)

“The United States have adventured upon a great and noble experiment, which is believed to have been hazarded in the absence of all previous precedent — that of total separation of Church and State. No religious establishment by law exists among us. The conscience is left free from all restraint and each is permitted to worship his Maker after his own judgment. The offices of the Government are open alike to all. No tithes are levied to support an established Hierarchy, nor is the fallible judgment of man set up as the sure and infallible creed of faith. The Mohammedan, if he will to come among us would have the privilege guaranteed to him by the constitution to worship according to the Koran; and the East Indian might erect a shrine to Brahma, if it so pleased him. Such is the spirit of toleration inculcated by our political Institutions… The Hebrew persecuted and down trodden in other regions takes up his abode among us with none to make him afraid. …and the Aegis of Government is over him to defend and protect him. Such is the great experiment which we have tried, and such are the happy fruits which have resulted from it; our system of free governement would be imperfect without it. “

-John Tyler, July 10, 1843

Back
Top Bottom