• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(W: #126) Philadelphia Pays $2 Million To Woman Beaten By Police

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Young's attorneys said officers swarmed her vehicle and broke her windows with batons and then opened her car door, pulled Young and the 16-year-old from their seats and began to hit them. Young was detained by police, and her 2-year-old son was taken away from her.

Young also said the National Fraternal Order of Police used a photo of her son after he was taken away from her during the incident and used it on social media to promote pro-police messaging online.

Always great to see a police brutality story get a happy ending.

2 million buys a lot of scratchers and Funyuns over at the Stop 'N Rob.

Yep, truly life changing I'm sure.

One post in and the racism begins! You never disappoint Court Jester! Very apt name, btw.
How is what I said racist? My point is that the awarding of sudden millions to people who never had 20 bucks in their checking account often ends in disaster.

Being poor is easy and natural for most. But being wealthy.... well, you have to be able to manage wealth or you won't have it very long.

That was all I meant by that.

1. I read the article as carefully as I could.

2. It did NOT mention what had happened before the cops interacted with the woman and her son.

a. That is, I believe, bad journalism.

3. Personally, I doubt that cops in Philadelphia would have dared to act in such a manner unless they felt that their lives were in peril.

a. Philadelphia, after all, is a very liberal city. Cops know from their buddies that they had better stay in their lane.

2. It did NOT mention what had happened before the cops interacted with the woman and her son.

3. Personally, I doubt that cops in Philadelphia would have dared to act in such a manner unless they felt that their lives were in peril.

a. Philadelphia, after all, is a very liberal city. Cops know from their buddies that they had better stay in their lane.
She had just picked up her nephew because she didn’t want him in the area due to the demonstrations. She brought her 2 year old son with her so as not to leave him home alone. Using her normal route home, she ended up trapped in the area with the demonstrations anyway. The police told her to turn around, and when she tried to do so, the cops surrounded her car, broke the windows, dragged her and her nephew from the car and beat them. She was arrested and her son was found in a police cruiser with cuts and bruises.

There was nothing dangerous about her, and the cops were going purely on rage fuel.

I hate this anti-police nonsense.

If police can’t randomly beat up citizens they’ll find it harder to do their job and unarmed citizens won’t get their heads blown off and cops will die.

Its ridiculous liberal clap trap and I’m sick of it.

Such a short memory!

”The City of Brotherly Love” has amended their policies when dealing with the public. There is always the “satchel charge” dropped from above!

California cops beat this man to death. A super liberal state didn't stop them from inflicting horrible brutality... or from getting acquitted.

Dont you just love how we pay the cops to abuse us and they have to pay for the abuse we paid them to dish out?

How is what I said racist? My point is that the awarding of sudden millions to people who never had 20 bucks in their checking account often ends in disaster.

Being poor is easy and natural for most. But being wealthy.... well, you have to be able to manage wealth or you won't have it very long.

Like you would know anything about managing wealth or the economic status of this woman... 😂

Do you balance this woman's checkbook? Or are you just assuming she had no money?

You made a whole bunch of judgements based on her being black.

Your excuse is bullshit. We all know why you thought this up.

Young, her 2-year-old son, and the 16-year-old son of a friend were driving through West Philadelphia on Oct. 27, 2020, when she came across protesters blocking the street in a standoff with police, who ordered Young to turn back. As she began to turn the car around, Young's attorneys said she paused so she didn't hit protesters running by her car. Young's attorneys said officers swarmed her vehicle and broke her windows with batons and then opened her car door, pulled Young and the 16-year-old from their seats and began to hit them. Young was detained by police, and her 2-year-old son was taken away from her.
. . .
Young also said the National Fraternal Order of Police used a photo of her son after he was taken away from her during the incident and used it on social media to promote pro-police messaging online.

Disgusting thugs.

article pic.png

Young's attorneys said officers swarmed her vehicle and broke her windows with batons and then opened her car door, pulled Young and the 16-year-old from their seats and began to hit them. Young was detained by police, and her 2-year-old son was taken away from her.

I mean, $2 million is little enough for something that should never occur, but what about consequences for the police who did this?
That kind of thing should be completely unacceptable, and those who did it should never get another job in law enforcement.

What happened to her was totally wrong, but $2M is pretty ridiculous. It's one thing to think of it as punitive damages, but it's not like it's coming out of the pockets of those responsible.

@Court Jester knows he's a racist but he's too much of coward and cuck to just admit it.
What I know is that you cry more than a little girl. You so sad because everyday you go out to the mailbox looking for a reparation check which still hasn't come.... boo hoo! LOL

Pull yourself up pal-o-mine. Grab hold of those bootstraps and give a good yank. It will do you good to breath some of the air from up here. Nobody is holding you back but yourself.

California cops beat this man to death. A super liberal state didn't stop them from inflicting horrible brutality... or from getting acquitted.
Tell the whole story. How a career criminal and constant pain in the ass guy ends up getting the short end of the stick when cops used too much force on him and dies, but strangely no city burned down or businesses looted, and still no comments from Al Sharpton, Jesse, or the usual justice team warriors. Oh, and I forgot to mention, dead guy was White.

What happened to her was totally wrong, but $2M is pretty ridiculous. It's one thing to think of it as punitive damages, but it's not like it's coming out of the pockets of those responsible.

They're state agents. They pulled an innocent person out of a car, beat the crap out of them, took their kid away, all because they were fired up and looking for blood. It should come out of all the taxpayers' in the areas pockets. That's what puts pressure on a government to change, right along side the press.

They can also be sued in personal capacity, generally speaking.

And it doesn't really matter what one chooses to think of it. In a trial it'd be compensatory and punitive mixed. This is a settlement. Whatever your opinion of what it is worth, the city clearly felt it was worth $2M not to find out what a jury thought.

I'd say a mass of state actors behaving like a criminal gang is worth quite a bit, even if she didn't end up paralyzed or dead.

The officers did what they did because they believed that they would get away with it. Unless someone has evidence to the contrary, it appears that they did.

The city settled because their legal advisers told them it could get massively more expensive if the plaintiff told her story to a jury.

Back
Top Bottom