• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:12]Who's take do you like to read? ie Which posters usually have thoughtful responses, worth the read?

rjay

Rocket Surgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
There are many basement threads calling out Posters for their hackery.

I thought I would start one to acknowledge those who add to the debate and, in their own way, elevate this forum.

Three that jump to my mind are Chomsky, Cardinal and Redress

First that springs to mind is cpwill, who is an excellent debater, and just a great guy.

Turtledude at times has an interesting take on issues, and a great sense of humor.

jmotivator, POS and Lutherf are all great to read in the Apps and Gaming section.

Roadvirus and JamesRage are both good reads.

apdst and Jack Hayes both are knowledgeable and interesting when talking about history, even if they are usually wrong in their conclusions ;)

I notice that my list is made up of conservatives, not because they are better posters, but I tend to read those I disagree with more than those I agree with.

All time favorites: Zyphlin, Tucker Case, Jallman

There are many basement threads calling out Posters for their hackery.

I thought I would start one to acknowledge those who add to the debate and, in their own way, elevate this forum.

Three that jump to my mind are Chomsky, Cardinal and Redress
I don’t alway agree with Chomsky but we seen to have civil conversations mostly.

Last edited:
I probably should pay more attention to who is posting what. Generally I read the title and if I find something to respond about I do. I wish I could find more reasonable people in the gop who are actually willing to discuss their thoughts. I asked what is the gop good for? One of the answers, republican values. Seriously? Is this person noticing what's been going on in the gop the last four years?

I want someone to make me think about my own points of view and challenge my own beliefs but sadly most responses are a few words or a sentence with something insulting and childish.

I'll take more notice and post some of my likes.

There’s really only one guy who absolutely stands out in terms of someone who consistently teaches me things, and that’s Greenbeard- specifically in his posts on health care.

There’s no question others are worth reading- Chomsky, Cardinal, Jaeger19, Helix, etc and some are worth reading for what they tell you about the validity of the other side, like Turtledude and Bubbabegone.

Chomsky, Cardinal and Redress

Moderator's Warning:
Just to make sure everyone is aware, do not, even in a backhanded manner, speak ill of any DP poster in this thread. This is a classic case of if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Oh well, by all means Redress is one of my favorite to read.

In no particular order, I like reading Visbek, MSgt, Felis Leo, NWRatCon, Jredbaron, JANFU, Tours34, Fiddytree, Chomsky, Rogue Valley, Lursa, EmilyL, Grand Mal, Ol'Nate, Mr. Person, Goshin, Andaluesblue, Serenity, Rexedgar, CBS, German Tick and Rumpel to name but a few. I don't necessarily agree with them all, but I do respect them, learn from them and enjoy the way they lay out their ideas. If I have missed any and I know I have, my apologies as I am only human. I also miss Chagos who has gone silent since September because he nourished my inner Scots curmudgeon. I hope all is well with him.

If forced to pick just one, I could not; that's the quality of the posters here.

Cheers and all be well.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
It‘s not intentional, but I find myself interacting with a specific set of posters. Sometimes the circle expands; there are a few that I won’t engage, but that is for another thread..

In no particular order, I like reading Visbek, MSgt, Felis Leo, NWRatCon, Jredbaron, JANFU, Tours34, Fiddytree, Chomsky, Rogue Valley, Lursa, EmilyL, Grand Mal, Ol'Nate, Mr. Person, Goshin, Andaluesblue, Serenity, Rexedgar, CBS, German Tick and Rumpel to name but a few. I don't necessarily agree with them all, but I do respect them, learn from them and enjoy the way they lay out their ideas. If I have missed any and I know I have, my apologies as I am only human. I also miss Chagos who has gone silent since September because he nourished my inner Scots curmudgeon. I hope all is well with him.

If forced to pick just one, I could not; that's the quality of the posters here.

Cheers and all be well.
Evilroddy.
I would add Perotista to your list.

Generally, the ratio of total likes (now called reaction score) to total posts (now called messages) being above 1/3 appears to be fairly a good indicator.

Generally, the ratio of total likes (now called reaction score) to total posts (now called messages) being above 1/3 appears to be fairly a good indicator.
OK Mr. >50%

Did you notice that most posters (including yourself) participating (or mentioned by others) in this thread share that trait?
Yes, but I always figured ~1/3 was the average. Only a couple that I've noticed have significantly lower, and it's usually for obvious reasons.

Yes, but I always figured ~1/3 was the average. Only a couple that I've noticed have significantly lower, and it's usually for obvious reasons.

OK, but that was precisely my point - those who maintain above average like/post ratios are seen (by many) as being the ‘better’ (above average) posters.

OK, but that was precisely my point - those who maintain above average like/post ratios are seen (by many) as being the ‘better’ (above average) posters.
That's one way to see it, and that is probably the case most of the time (especially for the high count posters), but I also see some people choir preaching for likes, just saying something everyone agrees with to get those sweet thumbs ups. So I try not to judge someone based solely on their L/D, but if I see a post, then look at their likes, usually I'll say "checks out."

In any case, lets see if I can contribute at all to the topic of the thread. Orphanslug, Emily L, Lisa, Dex4974 usually make me think, Valery, Elvira, apdst, turtledude, dcsports, schweddy I can sometimes agree with and sometimes think WTFAYS, calamity, blue donkey, phys251 and skyfox76 are usually at the front line on my side of politics so I like to challenge their assumptions, and sometimes get some strong pushback. I'm missing major players across the board of course, but, TBI and all, sometimes I forget people exist until they quote me.

You will always be above average in my book.

Back
Top Bottom