• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 119] Neighbors Help Gay Man Paint House in Rainbow Stripes After He Faced Threats

Absolutely the same situation. You'd yank you kids out of school, have them leave their neighborhood friends, rather than taking some action against this obnoxious neighbor? Really? Think about that.
Nope, not the same at all.

Yank them out of school? Do you believe that most school districts are only made up of kids from a single neighborhood? I can move a good 15 miles or more from where I live now and keep my kids in this school system. And they are very adapting children.

Sure. The rainbow symbol has no political significance to the gay community. If you are not going to be serious, we can stop right here.
First, his house wasn't actually painted in the end like a rainbow, just multiple colors. Second, the rainbow isn't a political symbol just because it is used, even by a gay man. It can simply be just a rainbow.

Want to tell a redneck he can't fly his confederate flag in front of his home? He will declare "MY HOME, MY RIGHTS", yet the same redneck will piss his pants about how someone else decorates their home?

I think it is the liberals with the stained pants, whatever the topic.

Absolutely the same situation. You'd yank you kids out of school, have them leave their neighborhood friends, rather than taking some action against this obnoxious neighbor? Really? Think about that.
Also, why didn't you use something less one sided such as a cross or nativity scene kept up year round in their yard or on their house? That would be more comparable to this situation.

I was expecting it to look gaudy but that paint job actually looks really nice.

So does having a busted, rusted car sitting in the middle of the front yard.

Where are all the out rage threads on redneck lawn maintenance?
I suppose the solution is to move into an HOA. Though that could be a double-edged sword as HOA's are the devil.

First, his house wasn't actually painted in the end like a rainbow, just multiple colors. Second, the rainbow isn't a political symbol just because it is used, even by a gay man. It can simply be just a rainbow.
OK. You're not serious. We're done.

Huge, gigantic, in your face swastikas. Like the rainbow house - you are not going to miss it every time you drive in your driveway

Mark Moskowitz, Southeast regional director for the Anti-Defamation League, said that Spurgeon’s decision to display the flag on his property is “disappointing” but there’s nothing to stop him, legally.

“He is protected by the First Amendment,” Moskowitz said. “In America, there is nothing to say you can’t hate. Sometimes people just want attention, and that’s one way to get it.”

Southern Poverty Law Center senior fellow Mark Potok agreed.

You think people haven't been doing it? Outside of an HOA, you might have to deal with someone flying Nazi shit, it's typically right next to the MAGA flag.

You think people haven't been doing it? Outside of an HOA, you might have to deal with someone flying Nazi shit, it's typically right next to the MAGA flag.
And according to the folks here, if you complain about it, you are a chilidish whiner.

You are conflating current reality with stated goal and aspiration.
Hmm ... explain how it works?
Look, the news is typical for the United States - a white police officer exceeded his authority and shot an unarmed black citizen during the arrest.
Without irony, in most countries of the world, the adjectives "white" and "black" would not stand anywhere, because it is not important for justice. Maybe I will write a terrible sedition, but there are no black rights, there are human rights. But your media, your leaders of public opinions incite hatred, constantly translating all offenses and crimes into a racist, chauvinistic, xenophobic plane... all this is done under the guise of a noble, supposedly " fight against...", but it provokes only opposition in society.
After all, this has been happening for more than a year, or two, or ten years... and not even twenty anymore... it's not funny. Or you are like the Communist Party in the USSR -here they say a little bit and we will live in a better society... For 70 years, people have been deceived like this.

I noticed how the comparison was something so outrageous, rather than something more comparable, like a cross or other not really controversial religious symbol, something a good portion of the population would in fact agree with, just like the rainbow/colorful paint job. Just like with noisy neighbors, it can easily be seen as offensive and undesirable to most people to live next to a person who painted their house with a swastika, and how that would in fact devalue the property. However, the same cannot be said for a paint job, especially this paint job, when even many of his neighbors came out to help him paint it indicating that they would have no issue living next to such a house.

And according to the folks here, if you complain about it, you are a chilidish whiner.
Again, not a legitimate comparison. It is notable that you couldn't actually compare it to something like a cross or a nativity scene up year round, that instead you had to go far out to something deemed almost universally offensive as a comparison.

Interesting logic, and the US Air Force bombing Hiroshima, Nagosaki, Dresden is not a terrorist act in your vision?

The NKVD took prisoners and shot them, by the thousands. Comparing it to wartime bombings is goofy.

You tried.

The NKVD took prisoners and shot them, by the thousands. Comparing it to wartime bombings is goofy.

You tried.
I don't want to argue with you... your trolling is so thick, sorry, but I'm sending you to the blacklist.

I don't want to argue with you... your trolling is so thick, sorry, but I'm sending you to the blacklist.

I'm heartbroken?

Not sure how I'll be able to have breakfast tomorrow.

So does having a busted, rusted car sitting in the middle of the front yard.

Where are all the out rage threads on redneck lawn maintenance?
I don’t know. Find an article about a redneck complaining about his neighbors’ response to said rusted car and start one.

So which one do you think devalues property more, Westboro Baptist Church or the Freedom House, which is painted pretty similarly to the one in this story?

It’s not a pissing contest about what devalues properties more.

yeesh, a colorful house devalues yours but the millions of unkept houses or those with ugly lawn ornaments don't?
nah, sorry, like I said, I have owned homes, 4 in my lifetime, and no 2 the same. never heard a realtor tell me to repaint my house a different color but definitely clean up the yard and put away any trash.

then again:

what YOU see and believe I can't control.
Strawman. I never said there aren’t other things that negatively impact property values. If you’ve been involved in as many real estate deals as you claim then the concept of curb appeal should not elude you.

I noticed how the comparison was something so outrageous, rather than something more comparable, like a cross or other not really controversial religious symbol, something a good portion of the population would in fact agree with, just like the rainbow/colorful paint job. Just like with noisy neighbors, it can easily be seen as offensive and undesirable to most people to live next to a person who painted their house with a swastika, and how that would in fact devalue the property. However, the same cannot be said for a paint job, especially this paint job, when even many of his neighbors came out to help him paint it indicating that they would have no issue living next to such a house.
It is a bit apples to oranges as the Nazi flag is a hate symbol, whereas the rainbow flag is not. So yes, probably more comparable to something like a manger scene in your front lawn. But even with symbols of hate, like the Nazi flag, outside of an HOA, there's not much one can do. And certainly, shouldn't be showing up on the guy's porch threatening to beat him up or kill him.

The Nazi Flag, much like the Confederate Flag, is a loser flag. If someone flies it, I mean, go ahead and advertise I suppose, one is free to do so if it violates no HOA or State ordinance. Certainly can't threaten the person's life over it, but the Nazi flag is a hate flag, as well as a loser flag, it's just white supremist scum flying it.

The Nazi Flag, much like the Confederate Flag, is a loser flag. If someone flies it, I mean, go ahead and advertise I suppose, one is free to do so if it violates no HOA or State ordinance. Certainly can't threaten the person's life over it, but the Nazi flag is a hate flag, as well as a loser flag, it's just white supremist scum flying it.
So you believe this woman was in the wrong?

Strawman. I never said there aren’t other things that negatively impact property values. If you’ve been involved in as many real estate deals as you claim then the concept of curb appeal should not elude you.
it doesn't elude me at all, if you get my meaning.

Nice to see Republicans taking a break from pretending racism doesn’t exist to announce that they hate gay people as well.

It’s not a pissing contest about what devalues properties more.
Significance of it does matter because if something isn't going to significantly devalue a property, then that makes a difference. Whereas some things will always be considered devaluing when it comes to property for most people, such as junk cars in a yard, unkempt yards or houses of neighbors, having dogs or loud parties, will normally devalue your property even if it is the neighbors doing it. Having neighbors with a national or worse worldwide reputation for hate is likely going to devalue your property. Something like 4 red cars in the drive or a rainbow colored house is not likely going to be considered negative for even a majority of people, easily ignored so not going to devalue your property. The most it could do is cause a potential for a stubborn owner selling such a house to not be able to get as much for that property as they otherwise could if they actually took the time to repaint to a neutral color just prior to selling. But even that may not be the case if they were able to find an eccentric buyer, which there are quite a number out there, particularly if said house has become famous, known.

Back
Top Bottom