• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 111] Charlton Heston was right

Well, it's a fair question, but not one needing a specific answer because there are a variety of possible answers. As I already indicated, the way to do it needs two things, political agreement, and the practicality of enforcing a ban.

Much of the hard work has been done - I think every country, as I said, has 'officially' committed to the goal, and every country but the US and Russia should be an 'easy sell'.

The biggest challenge seems to me to be getting the US to really take it on, with the second biggest being getting Russia to do so, which could become easy when Putin is replaced.

And that seems largely an issue of political leadership, making it a priority, convincing the American people of the risks of nuclear war and how it's in the country's interest to do so. A difficult but not impossible project; you remember when "No Nukes" was a huge political movement as the Carter presidency was over. We work to strengthen the nuclear arms control agency to be able to permanently enforce the ban globally.

We prepare global requirements passed by the UN requiring all countries to comply, with any threat of developing weapons treated as an act of war justifying force to intervene.

One variation I don't suggest but could be possible would even be maintaining some nuclear weapons under the control of the United Nations for that purpose.

Most of the No Nukes movement was focused on nuclear power, I was there.
Sure, folks talked about weapons but the majority of the protests centered on power plants.
My father built a test facility in Adelphi Maryland which the No Nukers were convinced was a power plant and not only
did they protest there, some of them even showed up at our front door.
That went on for MONTHS during the peak of the movement.

My dad even stuck a "MORE NUKES" sticker on his car...just to piss them off.

So off of the game you once almost had...
why do you spend so much time talking about ME, rather than the topic? Do you want to start a fan club?

why do you spend so much time talking about ME, rather than the topic? Do you want to start a fan club?
Uh, I made a post that had nothing to do with you....and you thought you could be Mr. Weisenheimer and make a retort.

And, predictably, people are laughing at you, again.

Glory days...they'll pass you by...

Uh, I made a post that had nothing to do with you....and you thought you could be Mr. Weisenheimer and make a retort.

And, predictably, people are laughing at you, again.

Glory days...they'll pass you by...
Yeah I guess when one has never accomplished anything they can pretend they are the equals of those who have. What ever gets you through the day. And who is laughing? Most likely those who have always been failures. Bashing Heston had nothing to do with the thread but I guess it salves some of the butt hurt that some have

Yeah I guess when one has never accomplished anything they can pretend they are the equals of those who have. What ever gets you through the day. And who is laughing? Most likely those who have always been failures. Bashing Heston had nothing to do with the thread but I guess it salves some of the butt hurt that some have
And you are up late again, trying to start fights. How sad.

Go to bed, your clients want to have lawyer that is alert.

Same old TD, your usual attempts to make yourself look like you are accomplished.

No failure here, I have a great job, nice house and the love of an amazing woman.

And I did it all without telling anyone that I went to Yale....:D

Here follows a quasi-hysterical rant.

There is a photo and story in my local paper, the SF Chronicle, today. "Putin stirs nuclear war fears with alert," says the front page headline. Inside, the story continues with a photo and an account of medics trying in vain to revive a 6-year old girl injured in the shelling in Ukraine. One doc looked at a camera recording the scene and said, "show this to Putin." Indeed, and show it to Tucker Carlson as well. The article and picture brought several things to my mind. First was what a midieval Pope said to war mongers of his day, that "not even the beasts of the forest form in battle array." The other was the old 1960s poster, which read, "war is not healthy for children and other living things." But mostly the story made me recall the ending of the first "Planet of the Apes" film, when the Charlton Heston character discovers that he was on earth all the time, and the apes with whom he fought were right to treat humans like the beasts we often are. His coming upon the wreckage of the Statue of Liberty on a beach lets him know where he is and what has happened. The final words are "Damn them. God damn them to hell."

He was right but those weren't Heston's words.

Those were the words of Charles Kemper Eastman.

Eastman wrote those words.

Heston did a very good job reciting and acting them.

The ending of the movie Wargames is very appropriate now.

"Strange game. Best move is not to play."

"How about a nice game of chess?"

Last edited:
And you are up late again, trying to start fights. How sad.

Go to bed, your clients want to have lawyer that is alert.
Ah we are back to grade school insults. You're the one who again started making in personal. I am glad that you are so obsessed.

He was right but those weren't Heston's words.

Those were the words of Charles Kemper Eastman.

Eastman wrote those words.

Heston did a very good job reciting and acting them.
who cares? It has nothing to do with the point

Ah we are back to grade school insults. You're the one who again started making in personal. I am glad that you are so obsessed.
And, you keep trying to pick a fight.

Go polish your trophies, and remember when life was good.

And, you keep trying to pick a fight.

Go polish your trophies, and remember when life was good.
go rue the fact that you cannot help talking about me, rather than the topic. Should I send you a signed photograph?

go rue the fact that you cannot help talking about me, rather than the topic. Should I send you a signed photograph?
And, again....who started this because he can't stop talking about me?

I don't have a frame that would fit a photo of you.

Your silly gun rights hate is not relevant to this thread. You hate the NRA because they marshal votes against the left wing turds you want in office. You want government money to be spent creating anti gun propaganda
No, I want the NRA to rediscover the policies they used to endorse. Great news from Sacramento today. Man shoots his three kids, all under 15, another person, then himself. The least the NRA could do is to advise such people to shoot themselves first. But they probably would say the kids should have been armed.

No, I want the NRA to rediscover the policies they used to endorse.
That was when-before the Democrats tried to hide the fact that they were coddling criminals, by pretending that gun control was the same as crime control?

And, again....who started this because he can't stop talking about me?

I don't have a frame that would fit a photo of you.
First personal comment

Oh, look who can't understand the difference between a movie, and the real world.

How sad.

you lose yet again

Most of the No Nukes movement was focused on nuclear power, I was there.

You're right that anti-nuclear energy was a big movement also; Three Mile Island happened in 1979. But weapons were a big movement. Wikipedia:

In the early 1980s, the revival of the nuclear arms race triggered large protests about nuclear weapons.[14] In October 1981 half a million people took to the streets in several cities in Italy, more than 250,000 people protested in Bonn, 250,000 demonstrated in London, and 100,000 marched in Brussels.[15] The largest anti-nuclear protest was held on June 12, 1982, when one million people demonstrated in New York City against nuclear weapons.[16][17][18] In October 1983, nearly 3 million people across western Europe protested nuclear missile deployments and demanded an end to the arms race; the largest crowd of almost one million people assembled in the Hague in the Netherlands.[19] In Britain, 400,000 people participated in what was probably the largest demonstration in British history.

Nuclear weapons. Reagan and Gorbachev had talks about eliminating them; Reagan's advisors were horrified he spoke out in favor of it.

Last edited:
First personal comment

you lose yet again
Not personal.

Not the first.

Sad that you are up late every night trying to start fights.

Ones that everyone laughs at.

Oh, for the good old days when your posts had edge.

Back
Top Bottom