• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W: 111] Charlton Heston was right

I think you are missing the logic from the scenario. The advantage a country would have if they were the only ones to have a nuke is emense so much so that whatever threats or punishments for having them could not counteract the power of having one. MAD is a much more stable alternative than the secret nukes a non-proliferation treaty would create
@Crovax is 100% correct.
My father testified about that very thing in Congress in 1977.

Oh, look who can't understand the difference between a movie, and the real world.

How sad.
Oh look, another blatant lie because nothing I said would lead most honest persons to claim I didn't know the difference. But the need to fluff Biden runs deep with some.

Oh look, another blatant lie because nothing I said would lead most honest persons to claim I didn't know the difference. But the need to fluff Biden runs deep with some.
Aw, Biden anger...its cute.

Then I am 100% standing with you.
But I'd still like a little more explanation on how this is accomplished.
Well, it's a fair question, but not one needing a specific answer because there are a variety of possible answers. As I already indicated, the way to do it needs two things, political agreement, and the practicality of enforcing a ban.

Much of the hard work has been done - I think every country, as I said, has 'officially' committed to the goal, and every country but the US and Russia should be an 'easy sell'.

The biggest challenge seems to me to be getting the US to really take it on, with the second biggest being getting Russia to do so, which could become easy when Putin is replaced.

And that seems largely an issue of political leadership, making it a priority, convincing the American people of the risks of nuclear war and how it's in the country's interest to do so. A difficult but not impossible project; you remember when "No Nukes" was a huge political movement as the Carter presidency was over. We work to strengthen the nuclear arms control agency to be able to permanently enforce the ban globally.

We prepare global requirements passed by the UN requiring all countries to comply, with any threat of developing weapons treated as an act of war justifying force to intervene.

One variation I don't suggest but could be possible would even be maintaining some nuclear weapons under the control of the United Nations for that purpose.

The more we make the idea of using nukes taboo and unthinkable, the less likely any country is to use them. The more we consider limited use as an option, the more likely someone starts a nuclear holocaust.

Biden fluffers...Now that's what's funny.

Heston was a great American.

Being an asshole makes Heston a great American?

I loved how Michael Moore humiliated Heston in Bowling for Columbine. Moore chased that stupid old man out of his own house.

Of course, when you hold an NRA rally in Denver a couple of weeks after the Columbine massacre, that's what your stupid old ass gets.

And yet my thread on how the most important lesson of this crisis is the need to eliminate nuclear weapons got basically no response.
Nuke Power elimination will need to be a first step ........

I loved how Michael Moore humiliated Heston in Bowling for Columbine. Moore chased that stupid old man out of his own house.

Of course, when you hold an NRA rally in Denver a couple of weeks after the Columbine massacre, that's what your stupid old ass gets.
Heston marched in favor of civil rights before it was fashionable. He was one of the first major league white celebrities to do that-at a time when it could hurt his star power. Michael Moore is a tabloid parasite and trying to shame the NRA for Columbine is moronic.

Fairytales and bedtime stories.

Um, no thanks.

Heston marched in favor of civil rights before it was fashionable. He was one of the first major league white celebrities to do that-at a time when it could hurt his star power. Michael Moore is a tabloid parasite and trying to shame the NRA for Columbine is moronic.
Moore didn't "try". He did it.

NRA shames itself. Objecting to doc's asking patients about kids and gun storage safety, opposing studies of gun violence are but two examples. They used to have a reasonable approach before they became pimps for the gun lobby.
Your silly gun rights hate is not relevant to this thread. You hate the NRA because they marshal votes against the left wing turds you want in office. You want government money to be spent creating anti gun propaganda

Here follows a quasi-hysterical rant.

There is a photo and story in my local paper, the SF Chronicle, today. "Putin stirs nuclear war fears with alert," says the front page headline. Inside, the story continues with a photo and an account of medics trying in vain to revive a 6-year old girl injured in the shelling in Ukraine. One doc looked at a camera recording the scene and said, "show this to Putin." Indeed, and show it to Tucker Carlson as well. The article and picture brought several things to my mind. First was what a midieval Pope said to war mongers of his day, that "not even the beasts of the forest form in battle array." The other was the old 1960s poster, which read, "war is not healthy for children and other living things." But mostly the story made me recall the ending of the first "Planet of the Apes" film, when the Charlton Heston character discovers that he was on earth all the time, and the apes with whom he fought were right to treat humans like the beasts we often are. His coming upon the wreckage of the Statue of Liberty on a beach lets him know where he is and what has happened. The final words are "Damn them. God damn them to hell."

1646105056596.png

Back
Top Bottom